Author Topic: Branson NASCAR track  (Read 35278 times)

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
Branson NASCAR track
« on: November 29, 2010, 06:39:01 PM »
I'm hear'n rumors up here in KC that there may be a NASCAR track being built soon around the Branson area, anybody hear anything?
Live life like it's the last day!

righty1985

• View Profile
Re: Branson NASCAR track
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 06:57:34 PM »
Here's a link to a story in today's Springfield News-Leader about the proposed raceway:
http://www.news-leader.com/article/20101129/NEWS01/11290321/Hollister-businessman-proposes-speedway

I think it would be a good addition to the area, but I'd be skeptical about it being built until they actually break ground.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 10:46:19 PM »
I won't hold my breath, but it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing for the area. It would add some diversity to the attractions, but boy would it help reinforce the hick stereotype if they actually landed a Nascar deal...

Just as long as they don't destroy more of the Ozarks than is necessary... I REALLY wish Branson would get its act together in regards to protecting the hills from scrupulous projects. So many garish hillsides around town now...

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 09:53:13 AM »
That's a pretty big project, even for Branson. I'll sit back and wait and see how things turn out. No great expections here, though. I remember in the 1990s plans were announced for a big skyscraper complex some fly by night guys proposed. Ain't seen it go up yet. I gotta admit, when I lived in Branson I never would have guessed seeing a Raddison or Hilton Hotel go up like they have! So, you just can never tell!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

coasterjedi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 07:36:50 PM »
I think it would be great for the area. I'm sure it would be very popular. I dont think it will happen though, it is a lot of work. And Branson seems to want to get away from the redneck stereotype.

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 11:26:35 AM »
I don't know about the stereotype. I don't want to see them cut down all those trees!

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 06:10:17 PM »
There was a lengthy article about it in today's Arkansas Democrat Gazette newspaper.  In the article there were several quotes from a NASCAR spokesman who said that anyone who builds a track does so at his/her own risk because there is never any guarantees that NASCAR would race at any track even it is built to NASCAR standards.
Sure would be a lot of money to spend to speculatively build a track.  Think of all the failed projects already around Branson:  the waterpark resort at Hollister, Indian Ridge at Notch, the failed Tanstone project next to Tanger Mall, Emory Creek development that was supposed to have a racetrack, the mall that was supposed to have been built behind Presley's theater back around 2003...........

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 07:51:37 PM »
with a track in KC.. I would be surprised if there would be a demand for a track in the area?

joecorn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 11:44:27 AM »
Branson could be a good fit for a NASCAR track.  Yes, it's a HUGE risk, as there is absolutely no guarantee that it will ever be selected as an event site.  Yes, they'll have to be able to ride out close to a decade before the powers that be might bless it with an event.

But at the very least Branson is a market ripe for the ancillary money-making events that can keep a track going.  Track day events and a "Richard Petty Experience" drive-an-actual-stock-car-for-$500 attraction could conceivably keep the track from going too far underwater financially.

Plus stereotypes aside, factor in that Branson IS a destination that many NASCAR fars would desire to attend combined with the simple fact that Branson actually has enough hotel room inventory to accommodate a Sprint Cup size event, for someone with deep enough pockets, the risk starts to seem almost manageable.

If they can engineer a track that also has road course and motorcycle racing capabilities and not put all of their eggs in the NASCAR basket, the idea could have potential and could be a boost to the Branson economy.  Long story short, this is a risky gamble, but for the right investor, the risk might be manageable.

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 07:10:15 AM »
If I were an investor, this is not the kind of thing I would want to sink my money into, for several reasons.  First, just getting the land ready to build on is going to be a monumentally costly undertaking...a lot of earth to move to get a large enough "flat" spot to build the track (mile and a quarter in length), stands (upwards to 100,000 capacity), and support buildings.  Second, the chances of seeing any sizable return on investment is years away; I'd say a decade at the least.  Third, in general, people who come to Branson "might" be interested in seeing races, but that's a pretty big "might."  I don't really think they would support it in terms of numbers and dollars needed to lift it to a top tier raceway.  Tickets to NASCAR events are expensive, and people complain now about having to pay more than $40 for anything in Branson.  Fourth, NASCAR itself is suffering a decline in attendance at their events.  This is clearly evident if you've watched on TV...the stands are far from packed these days.  Is that indicative of a downward trend in interest in racing in general?  I don't know.

Nevertheless, it would appear that the developer has investors lined up.  I do hope, for their sake, that it can be successful....if indeed it does come to fruition.  It could be a fun and interesting diversion from the routine array of shows.

"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2010, 07:57:22 AM »
Here's my thoughts.
I have never been to Kansas Speedway & dont have the desire too. Way too many people & drinking for me & ya cant see the track well. I've even had the chance to go for free, we just dont dig asphalt racing. I'd rather watch from home, you can see & know more about the race, from TV.
Finding the right time to schedule a NASCAR race when it would not interupt the regular Branson - SDC schedule would be almost impossible.
I am also a nature person. So removing all the trees & the fruits of nature would not sit good with me either.
I have been involved in racing all my Life, but i am not a big NASCAR fan. Too many changes & strange rules for me. That is why i like dirt racing, we just wanna have fun & race. Ya dont need to over do it. But, thats the way it goes.. Two sides to everything.     
Live life like it's the last day!

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 01:59:02 AM »
I don't know about stereotypes. NASCAR is huge at New Hampshire International Speedway (aka Loudon). There are several races throughout the Midwest, and even the Southwest and California.

I'm a pure-bred Southerner, and I couldn't care less about watching cars turn left 800 times in a row. Give me Laguna Seca or some other twisty road course, thanks.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2011, 07:29:27 PM »
This same fellow tried to locate one just north of Bella Vista, AR before the recession. A couple of landowners would not sell out.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2011, 07:38:29 PM »
speed up,  turn left,  speed up,   turn left,    speed up,   turn left,   speed up, turn left.... finish line........... go again.  speed up...............................................................    sorry had to do it....

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 10:34:31 AM »
Update of sorts

In the state paper down here today, there was an article about this. Seems Mr. Bass Pro is agin it and thinks it would negatively impact Big Cedar. Arkansas maybe enticing them to move farther south. Something is happening with the Taney Co. planning commisssion in a week or two. Dude sez they have the money for this and funding isn't holding them back.