Author Topic: SDC Memories  (Read 20401 times)

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
Re: SDC Memories
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2015, 12:44:27 PM »
Yikes....I would have lost it in my pants high tailed it away if they did that too me :)
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2015, 07:29:07 PM »
Another memory permanently burned into my brain out of sheer terror...

I was around 8, so this would have been in the late 70s.  This occurred in the vicinity of the train trestle near the Saloon.  I had gotten separated from my family, so I approached an employee/character and told him that I was lost.  So what does he do?  He shoots his gun up in the air twice and yells, "Does anyone know this boy?  He's done lost his family.  If you know him, come and get him!".  Well that didn't help me much!  Then he said he would stay with me until my parents came back to find me.

I doubt if that is the current protocol for handling a lost child, but to be honest I'm glad that was the way he did it.  It makes for a great memory and a fun story to tell my girls.   :)

If that happened today then there would be a lawsuit!! What a cool story!
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2015, 09:52:50 PM »
Back at that time we employees were instructed to stay with the kid, call security if need be. We looked for the parents in our immediate area. I do love the story posted here, wish I knew who the guy shooting the gun was, lol.
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2015, 10:17:43 PM »
I was around 8, so this would have been in the late 70s.  This occurred in the vicinity of the train trestle near the Saloon.  I had gotten separated from my family, so I approached an employee/character and told him that I was lost.  So what does he do?  He shoots his gun up in the air twice and yells, "Does anyone know this boy?  He's done lost his family.  If you know him, come and get him!".  Well that didn't help me much!  Then he said he would stay with me until my parents came back to find me.

I doubt if that is the current protocol for handling a lost child, but to be honest I'm glad that was the way he did it.  It makes for a great memory and a fun story to tell my girls.   Smiley

I think that the SDC people need to read this.  What a great story it really made me smile.  Honestly speaking you could yell and be the public center of attention. Today however it takes a gunshot to get any kind of reaction and due to the currant spot the country is in and they are not going to encourage the use of firearms excessively at the park.  Possibly this is why they began to reduce the gunpowder load.