Author Topic: SDC "Citizens" of the past...and present!  (Read 39440 times)

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
  • Longing for the SDC "aura" once again!
    • View Profile
Re: SDC "Citizens" of the past...and present!
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2011, 11:47:45 AM »
I remember Shad being there when I was around eight years old. I wish I had known who he was and his popularity level. I remember I wanted to ride rides and go all over the park (as a little boy would) and was disappointed when my mom wanted to stop off and watch the "blacksmith." I can remember standing there getting irritated and cranky. I wish I had paid attention to who I was standing close to. It never even dawned on me that the man I saw on "Beverly Hillbillies" was the same one I was standing next to at SDC.
  When I was at SDC two years ago, I stopped at the blacksmith stand and smiled. I told my girlfriend (now wife) about it's significance and how Shad had been on the BH.

The things we miss in life, huh?!
Andymeets1880s

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2011, 06:32:59 PM »
My experiences with Shad are rather bland. I knew that he was an icon when I worked there. I remembered the Beverly Hillbilly episodes, and for those of you from the St. Louis area, if you are as old as me...when I was little and lived in Hazelwood (When it was a brand new neighborhood on the edge of St. Louis County.) Shad appeared on Channel 30 (KDNL) on a kids show called "Mr. Patches" and promoted SDC. He also was on Channel 5 (KSD) on "Corky's Colorama," another kids show. That led to me and my brother asking mom and dad to take us to SDC! On that first visit in 1970 I was excited about seeing Shad at the forge. I was too nervous to approach him. When I worked there at SDC starting in 1978, I went out of my way to say "Howdy" to him and always considered myself lucky to get him to look my may and grunt, or on a good day, return the "howdy." I got the impression the whole time that I worked there that unless Shad knew you, he probably would not talk to you. I think he saved everything for his "performances" at the blacksmith shop and forge for the tourists. One of my good friends from high school worked in the Foods Department at SDC during that time, and her parents were managers of the blacksmith shop for a couple of years, and always spoke highly of Shad. I wish I could have gotten to know him better, but he was a tough nut to crack. During the time I worked at SDC a biography on Shad was released, and I purchased it and read he was an alcoholic. Fortunately, he put the bottle away years ago and didn't drink anymore during his SDC years, but I kind of figured he wasn't too friendly with folks he didn't know (except for the tourists) because of the alcoholic thing, but I really don't know. His Wilderness Settlement was the hip place for SDC performers to work and hang out, as he was a master actor, and I felt privileged to see the Toby Show there, and know many of the young peroformers (including Terry Sanders) who honed their craft under his teaching. Those working with him at the Wilderness Settlement were the "true" hardcore talented entertainers in the area. Like everyone else, I was sad to hear in his last few years Shad and his wife Molly were in the College of the Ozarks Nursing Home due to poor health, and was sad to hear of their passing. They were both true legends in entertainment in the Branson area. Both are buried at the Notch Cemetery (Shepherd of the Hills Cemetery) just around the bend from the Indian Point turnoff to SDC.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2011, 10:41:56 PM »
I found in our items, 2 occasions as a kid of us and Shad talking it up, but as you said, we were tourists. I have 2-3 postcards of him signed and addressed to me from him. These were in his latter years, and I think many pased him by without even thinking. He was simply sitting in a wooden chair outside the Blacksmith's Shop near a sign that said "Mayor". About 3 years ago, I borrowed my dads copy of "SHAD". and I read it in a couple of nights. I was suprised by a few things about him, but overall, I had even more admiration for the things he experienced/ overcame. There used to be a memorial of him and a bust of him in cast iron outside the Blacksmith shop, who knows where it went, now there is only a sign with him as proprietor ot the shop, and a sign about him at the reconstructed cabin near the Red Gold Hall. I feel that there should be more dedicated to these citizens in the city.

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
  • Longing for the SDC "aura" once again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2011, 12:11:50 AM »
Those are awesome memories, Junior and Rube. I agree with Rube. There should be a little something more for Shad at the park. Shad was more for SDC than just the blacksmith. Though I am taking a guess at this, I would imagine SDC's popularity skyrocketed, not just because of the BH's visit, but I would assume people came to see him after his many appearances on the show!

Funny how the triangle forms because I live here in Independence, Mo (boyhood home of BH's creator, Paul Henning) and I know where his boyhood home was, where he worked and met Harry Truman and the exact house where the Hillbillies visited with Paul when they came to Indep. after the SDC shows!
Andymeets1880s

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2011, 09:54:56 AM »
I pulled out my copy of "Shad" and glanced through it again this morning. Shad was a powerhouse for SDC publicity in the late 60s and early 70s. Traveled the country, and numerous craftsmen did too. Some of the crafts people in that period were showcased on The Mike Douglas Show and Captain Kangaroo. Millions of dollars of free publicity for SDC at the time. The acting students of Shad and Mollie Heller read like a who's who of Branson entertainment. Some names you would still find in the area today, others have moved on down the road to something else.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2011, 04:38:50 PM »
A Street Scene circa early 80's. I have anotherview of a few characters in case anyone wants to see it. Just ask!

« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 04:41:07 PM by rubedugans »

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2011, 06:07:27 PM »
Let's see, that would be-----

Jae McFerron.......as Zeke
Patsy Lane..........as Sarie Ellen
Bonnie Borden......as Ma Hatfield
Jana Henleben......as Ma Hatfield
Elmer Wallace.......as Pa Hatfield
Jeff Kimes............as Zeke
Wayne Milnes.......as Pa McCoy (foreground)

Not sure why the characters were doubled up that day.  The shot is in front of the old Oak Ridge Grill which sat out in front of the west end of the General Store/WagonWorks area.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2011, 06:43:27 PM »
Incredible photograph Rube, and great information Zephon! ;D

I wonder what the skit of the day was with the doubling up of characters? There must be more to this story.  :)

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2011, 06:48:39 PM »
And in this one from a few minutes earlier in the street skit
Who is the Sheriff?

Could one of the Ma's be a McCoy despite wearing the wrong colors? No clue about the extra Zeke!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 06:50:18 PM by rubedugans »

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2011, 07:57:50 AM »
That sheriff...yes, my friends...it appears to be none other than ZEPHON in the flesh wearing that badge? Bring back a few old memories Zephon?  ;D

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2011, 09:49:24 AM »
YESSSSS...I had my suspicions...and thought I'd give it a try. Glad I might have found one of ya Z.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2011, 11:14:09 AM »
thats another great shot.

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2011, 12:35:36 PM »
Ah, yes.  I resemble that guy.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2011, 01:01:26 PM »
Nice Zephon I never knew you had a twin. :P

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2011, 04:27:00 PM »
The City Farrier

I'll post a picture of the "Shoein' Shed" -home of the farrier tomorrow
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 04:36:00 PM by rubedugans »