Author Topic: 1975 Brochure  (Read 13227 times)

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
1975 Brochure
« on: January 27, 2011, 06:13:50 PM »
Just picked this up on ebay. My first piece of vintage SDC literature and thought I would share. My apologies if someone already has scanned and shared this.

Also a map on the back:

I would love to know more about some of the places on the map that are no longer there.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
Re: 1975 Brochure
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 06:18:34 PM »
Great wat to start a collection! Where would you like to know more about?

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 06:22:02 PM »
NICE!

The Outpost was a Cracker Barrel type place outside of St. Louis that was owned by the Herschends.  This was when they were looking at ways to generate income when numbers at SDC went down due to gas and the economy.  They also owned a place in Springfield, but I can’t recall the name, I believe it was on Glenstone.  

This was also the time that SDC changed Fairy Cave to Talking Rocks Cavern and had a sound and light show in the cave.  A deep voice would tell the story of how the cave was created and the speakers looked like rocks.  The voice scared kids, so they eventually did away with it.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 06:24:58 PM by Copper »

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 06:35:46 PM »
I was going to ask about The Oupost.

Rube,

The Trail That Nobody Know How Old. I know this is from Shepherd of the Hills, but it shows on the map like it's behind Compton Ridge Campground.

Wash Gibbs Museum (another SOTH reference) on Hwy 76 right at the tip where it turns from N to S. Between Inspiration pt and 265

Jim Lane's Cabin. Next to Mutton Hollow (I do know what that was, is now the CC property, but didn't know about the cabin)

Wilderness Settlement. S side of 76 just west of 165 (Is that the abandoned campground we were discussing in another thread?)

Indian Museum. N side of 76 west of Wilderness Settlement.

"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 07:07:48 PM »
those are great pics..  love the "map"...

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 08:18:57 PM »
The "Old Trail" is the same that Unkle Ikes Trail rides take place on in Notch.

The Wash Gibb's Museum was run by Chick Allen has been bulldozed and is gone(Mary Herschend's house at one time was across the road from the Museum)

Jim Lane's Cabin was torn down as recently as the 1990's.
The original cabin burned in 1917 when the Fausett family was living in it. It was rebuilt on the foundation around the same time.
Funny also .....
"Tourists, who signed Mrs. Hall’s guest register kept on the mantelpiece of the Lane cabin, wanted souvenirs from the Lane farm. Elizabeth Hall began going to the fireplace to remove a small stone to give to the travelers. The strangers left satisfied and as needed, Elizabeth replenished her supply of stones from the field."
From Junior on May 27, 2010
Apparently the Shepherd of the Hills Historical Society let it sit there next to the entrance to Mutton Hollow and just rot. There were also some occasional problems with vandalism at the site, going back to the late 70s. Don't know what became of the stones that made up the fireplace or the logs used in the walls...seems like those historical artifacts had ought to have been something SOMEBODY would have kept.

The Wilderness Settlement was composed of seven rustic shops including Wilderness Leather Works and a small outdoor theater called the Corn Crib Theatre.

Someone else will have to field the Indian Museum...

-Sammy Lane Pirate Cruises- was an attraction that took Branson visitors on a leisurely hour an a half cruise along that portion of the White River that lies beneath Lake Taneycomo. Leaving from its dock at the lake front the cruise included a narration of Branson’s history, the birds and wildlife seen on the cruise, and the set up for the visit to the gold mine and the pirate cannon attack near the end of the voyage. The last remaining pieces of this were demolished during the Branson Landing Redevelopment Project that opened in the late spring of 2006. Some say that the riverboat tradition of the Sammy Lane Pirate Cruise dated back to 1917 and that it was the longest continually running riverboat operation in the Branson Region.

Sycamore Log Church was built in 1933, and still stands and is still in use. It is in the Henning State Forest, and is a great little out of the way place to spend some quiet time with the Lord.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 08:29:20 PM by rubedugans »

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 08:28:48 PM »
I'm not doubting you, but the map shows Uncle Ike's post office, which looks like iit's in the right place on 76, but shows the trail on the east side of hwy 265. There's a red dot that says "campgrounds" which I assume is Tall Pines and Compton Ridge, then right next to that is another red dot labeled "The Trail That Nobody Knows How Old".

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 08:39:03 PM »
The trail is actually an ancient Native American Trail leading north towards Springfield and south to Arkansas.  The trail used to lead south to the White River where you would then catch a ferry to cross wagons and animals.  Harold Bell Wright used this trail and used the ferry.  Today, of course a portion of the trail in Branson is submerged below Table Rock Lake.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 08:46:03 PM »
Upon searching 2 claim to have access to the trail, both SOTH will take you on a horseback ride on the "Trail" as well as Uncle Ike's Trail Rides will take you on the "Trail". I believe it is the same thing Here are the links:
Ike's Trail Rides
SOTH Rides
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 08:47:25 PM by rubedugans »

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 08:49:02 PM »
Many of the items on your map, as you can see from my information above, are gone.
Harold Bell Wright put it best with this which echoes still 103 years later.
"Even as he was greeted by the strong master of the hills and his charming wife, there fell upon his ears a dull report as of distant cannon; then another, and another. They led him across the yard, and there to the north on the other side of Roark, men were tearing up the mountain to make way for the railroad. As they looked, another blast sent the rocks flying, while the sound rolled and echoed through the peaceful hills."
The Shepherd of the Hills
by Harold Bell Wright, 1907

« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 08:50:11 PM by rubedugans »

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 08:55:37 PM »
Many of the items on your map, as you can see from my information above, are gone.
Harold Bell Wright put it best with this which echoes still 103 years later.
"Even as he was greeted by the strong master of the hills and his charming wife, there fell upon his ears a dull report as of distant cannon; then another, and another. They led him across the yard, and there to the north on the other side of Roark, men were tearing up the mountain to make way for the railroad. As they looked, another blast sent the rocks flying, while the sound rolled and echoed through the peaceful hills."
The Shepherd of the Hills
by Harold Bell Wright, 1907

;D
I just finished reading that (again). Funny you mentioned Sammy Lane Pirate Cruise, I didn't ask about it but was going to. Haven't seen the Log Church either, though we've walked the short trail in the Henning Forest. One of these days I'm going to take the trail from 248 to 76.

Back to the trail, I was assuming it was located at the same place as the post office, but is that just where go to get started? That would explain why it's somewhere else on the map.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 08:58:09 PM by thelarsonsix »

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 09:10:34 PM »
Located between Branson and Branson West on Highway 76, Notch is the hub of the SOTH story. It all began in 1893 when Uncle Ike (Levi Morrill) moved his family to the Ozark`s. He built his house at the fork of the Wilderness Trail and "Old Trail, Nobody Knows How Old." After a hard winter and several 16 mile treks accross the James river to Galena to pick up the mail, Levi petitioned the postal department to establish a post office in his living room. The post office granted his request after his son delivered the mail over the 16 mile trail, on the back of a mule, three times a week for three months.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 08:20:40 AM »
Thanks for the info on "The Outpost" I was not aware of this. As well as the location at Springfield. Think of it, if successful, there could have been a chain of Outposts all throughout the midwest! Maybe the country. I was glad to see several people were able to provide info about several of the "lost" attractions in the area. ONE NOTE: If  you have not figured it out yet, some of the old area maps were a bit inaccurate. They were tourist maps, slapped together sometimes by opportunists or guys in print shops who didn't get out in the worldd too much.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 10:49:16 AM »
thats a lot of good history guys...  thanks!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 01:01:06 PM »
No problem. A few of these places have been talked about in other threads on the website, but not in a form such as this, only a little here, a little there.

Any others (other than the Indian Museum which I only have seen 1 photo of)?