Author Topic: What happened to Pinnacle Falls?  (Read 13823 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
What happened to Pinnacle Falls?
« on: March 22, 2008, 07:43:47 PM »
Back in 2006, it was announced that a massive new $600 million dollar resort was being built just to the west of Celebration City called Pinnacle Falls, to open in 2008 - but now it's 2008, and there's no sign of it. What happened? After all the hoax Disney rumors, I kinda forgot about it until now, but the artwork for it looked amazing, and I really think it would have pumped a lot of interest into Celebration City.

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Pinnacle Falls?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 02:32:41 PM »
The date is now 2010. What happened to it, the new Mayor of Branson. She has stopped all new major projects in the City. Many think since she is a Presley that she doesn’t want any more competition for the shows in town. Branson’s tourism is strong, but theatre ticket sales are in a decline. People are coming to town and are enjoying the Branson Landing, SDC and Nature. They are leaving shows out of their itinerary and I don't think she is happy about that.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 03:44:07 PM by Copper »

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 07:21:31 PM »
^Or maybe it's because people think the shows never change. We have been to a lot of Branson shows before but the only one I can remember is The Presley's. We've been once and haven't went back. When we go to Branson we usually go shopping, ride go-carts that night, maybe go to Cakes n' Cream or someplace good to eat (everytime we go to Branson there is always something new to eat because Branson is growing so fast), and then head to SDC in the morning.

A show is never in our itinerary. Maybe that is how it is with other families also.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 07:23:25 PM by Coaster »
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 07:47:58 PM »
Does anyone here see shows in Branson? My families’ first shows were at the Grand Palace, because they were large production shows that we like. I like the Osmonds, Andy Williams, Shoji, Dixie Stampede, Showboat and that is about it.

I can not stand the Parsleys or the Baldknobbers, we walked out during intermission and never went back.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 08:05:12 PM »
I wondered what happened to this place, too.  Wasn't it connected with an aquarium and a waterpark?

There is another huge resort being built nearer to Branson West.  I think it's supposed to have a big waterpark attached to it, too.

While we're at it, I've started new threads in the Branson Talk category - one for shows, one for food, and one for attractions.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 08:44:33 PM »
Hmmm, maybe Branson is getting a little out of hand. I've always wondered when it would all stop - the endless destruction of the natural hills and valleys so new strip malls could go in, only to close down soon after opening. I though Pinnacle Falls was a good idea because of how balanced it was, but the mayor is probably quite justified in halting the major projects for the mean time. Someone needs to clean up the way Branson developement works.

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 08:50:51 PM »
I agree Branson does need to manage the land development. I don’t know why anyone builds strip malls today when the ones that are there are so empty. I am all for new entertainment like shopping and so on. I am confused though, where are they going to find people to work all those jobs.

sdcforever

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 09:31:38 AM »
I wondered what happened to this place, too.  Wasn't it connected with an aquarium and a waterpark?

There is another huge resort being built nearer to Branson West.  I think it's supposed to have a big waterpark attached to it, too.

While we're at it, I've started new threads in the Branson Talk category - one for shows, one for food, and one for attractions.

Yep, Pinnacle Falls will open in 2010.  It is supposed to be have a European theme with year-round attractions including an aquarium, themed restaurants, shopping, and an indoor waterpark.  David Cushman is developing it; his family used to own Mutton Hollow (where Celebration City is now), which explains why the $600 million Pinnacle Falls will be located just west of Celebration City.

The new resort near Branson West will be called Indian Ridge Resort, and it is just massive in size and scope.  It will be built on over 1,000 acres(!) and will be a resort community with lots and homes to purchase, plus a full-service condo hotel, an 18 hole championship golf course with pro shop (the pro shop will contain a "virtual golf" experience), conference center, themed-retail shopping, multiple restaurants, and an Indian History Center.  And, of course, one of the three largest indoor/outdoor water parks in the US.  According to the website, the outdoor waterpark will surround the indoor one.  The entire resort will, logically, be Indian-themed.

It sounds like Branson will be overloaded with these resort destinations.  I wonder if they can all survive and succeed?  Check out Indian Ridge Resort's website www.indianridgeresortinc.com.  I will warn you that the intro has a weird looking sunset scene with what appears to be the Eye of Sauron coming at you.  So be prepared!  :)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 09:32:12 AM by sdcforever »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 10:08:33 AM »
^Ugh, what a terrible web site, not to mention the design company that built it. I know this site isn't exactly a piece of art either, but at least I facilitate basic design sense. Tables? What is this, 1997? Gah...

Anyhow, just like SDCforever said - the question really is whether or not all these new resorts can survive. To me, it looks like the Branson planners have really screwed the pooch once again. Just like what we've seen over and over in the past, much of this new developement is going to burst onto the scene in a grand spectacle, then in a year half of it will be closed down. Just think of all the wasted land, resources, and environment...

Another question is, how will White Water fare with this huge new park?

sdcforever

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 04:49:24 PM »
^Ugh, what a terrible web site, not to mention the design company that built it. I know this site isn't exactly a piece of art either, but at least I facilitate basic design sense. Tables? What is this, 1997? Gah...

Anyhow, just like SDCforever said - the question really is whether or not all these new resorts can survive. To me, it looks like the Branson planners have really screwed the pooch once again. Just like what we've seen over and over in the past, much of this new developement is going to burst onto the scene in a grand spectacle, then in a year half of it will be closed down. Just think of all the wasted land, resources, and environment...

Another question is, how will White Water fare with this huge new park?

I agree.  It's a terrible website.  I can't be on it for more than two minutes at a time.  Perhaps they've spent all their money on the resort and have none left for website design.  :-\

White Water is going to have this huge new park, plus the new one in Pinnacle Falls, to compete with in the next three years or so.  They're on the right track with the redesign/renovation of the entrance and perhaps another new ride in '09.  WW seems kind of stuck to me.  They don't have very much room to expand, so they really have to replace/redesign current rides to keep offering new things to bring people in.  They do have a prime location, though.  Right in the center of everything.  That helps.  It'll be interesting as this unfolds.  These parks will definitely cannibalize each other, like CC does to SDC.  Something tells me that WW will win this fight.  The Herschend's really know what they're doing.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 04:59:46 PM »
Don't forget, too, that the Kansas City Schlitterbahn is going to give ANY regional waterparks a run for their money. They're setting it up as a resort destination...

~ "Becky" Joy ~

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2008, 05:13:10 PM »
^I'm a Herschend fan as much or more as the next guy but I'm sorry, the KC Schlitterbahn is going to kick White Water's and ESPECIALLY Oceans of Fun's butt.

Anyways, I think Pinnacle Falls might be able to survive. A 600 million dollar resort isn't really a craphole. People will come...
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 07:20:17 PM »
^People will come, but between the Landing, Indian Ridge, the theme parks, Grand Village, Tanger, and everything else in Branson, will there be enough? Unless Branson just keeps experiencing radical growth in the number of visitors it hosts (which it is unprepared for without a massive new, extremely sophisticated mass transit system) it'll be a struggle all around to make these extreme investments worth it.

I mean, I'm all right with Branson growing like this, but it's the way in which everything is planned that just kills me. I can't stand seeing Branson turn into another OKC, where you are forced to drive for miles and miles past crap just to get anywhere.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 07:22:16 PM by shavethewhales »

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2008, 09:28:32 PM »
I keep saying this over and over again, where are the people at that are supposed to work all these jobs. Branson needs to go recruit a lot of people to move to the area and fill these jobs up.

They have been talking about a monorail for years, but it has yet to materialize. With the new airport on its way they are planning for tourism to jump quite a bit. Even John Q. Hammonds the owner of the Château on the Lake has announce a new Château like hotel near the airport.

John Q. is a great business man, so for him to build something is going to happen.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2008, 09:47:15 PM »
I've always been fascinated at Branson's lack of public transit. Even just a bus system like what we have here in KC would be nice.

For now, while I'm living in Independence, Schlitterbahn will definitely be my waterpark of choice. But whenever I do manage to move to Branson, Pinnacle Falls definitely sounds like a good choice for a local mega-waterpark.

~ "Becky" Joy ~