Author Topic: Did you see this yet?  (Read 24985 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Did you see this yet?
« on: July 27, 2011, 10:30:46 AM »
Not wanting to open a can of worms, but i did see this article today.:

http://news.yahoo.com/gay-couple-asked-reverse-shirt-dollywood-200120079.html

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
Re: Did you see this yet?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 12:35:33 PM »
Wow, that is definitely a can of worms! ;)

Regardless of a person's view on same sex couples, Dollywood has always been a private business, and land owner. With that being said, Dollywood has the right to reject anyone from coming onto their property, and for whatever reason they want.

If the lesbian couple does not like that, then they should stop complaining, and spend their money elsewhere. Money talks louder than words.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 12:40:02 PM by Ozark BBQ »

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 12:47:16 PM »
Signs of the times? We ain't got long. Get  your house in order.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 06:09:08 PM »
Hmmm...countless shirts at SDC about "Big Pecker Trucks" etc for straight folk and that's okay.   I see.
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 06:38:57 PM »
I agree that certain shirts can be offensive, but I think that the enforcement of this policy is VERY subjective. It almost seems the front gate has certain things to look for when allowing entrance to the park.
Disney has a very similar policy:
Examples of unacceptable attire includes:

Clothing displaying offensive messages/language
Adult costumes or clothing that can be viewed as a costume (children under age 10 are excluded)
Clothing made with offensive material, (ie transparent)
Clothing that is excessively torn
Clothing which exposes inappropriate portions of the body such as string bikini tops, G-strings, bikini bottoms, etc.
Guests wearing wedding attire are discouraged from entering the Theme Parks.

I would like to see the number of infractions that occour on a daily basis, curse words, slurs, etc...but I would be pretty sure that Confederate apparel would be acceptable.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 08:52:53 PM »
I wish our society was accepting enough that a T-shirt saying "Marriage is Gay" would not be offensive.

I'm probably one of the most liberal members on this board, so it's probably not a shocker when I say that I agree with the couple that "family friendly" should include ALL types of family. I myself am straight, but I have many, many gay friends and it hurts me to see them hurt. Love is love, no matter what temple holds your soul, and it shouldn't be hated or discriminated against.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 11:08:09 PM »
The article specifically mentions that Dollywood welcomes everyone (which includes gay couples) to attend their park. However, they do have a right to say what people can not wear on their property. I don't think Dollywood was hating, or discriminating against them personally. Dollywood just found the shirt to be offensive which they have a right to. Dollywood could implement a no blue shirt policy if they wanted. However, that doesn't mean that Dollywood hates people who wear blue shirts.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 08:12:52 AM »
I guess my thought on this is as long as the shirt is not flat out insulting/dirty language, who cares?

In this case.... sexual preference aside.

"marriage is Gay" -  Nothing dirty, and i would imagine that 80% of the people that "might" read would not even pay attention to it.!

It not like it says Marriage is F********  Gay!??

I would like to know the specifics on this, how old was the employee, why he/she thought it was offensive. Or other details.

I think maybe the employee overstepped their "authority:...

This is just my thoughts.

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 10:25:56 AM »
Can of worms is officially opened.

<soapbox>

I am extremely tired of the liberal agenda.

We can't have a cross at the site of the 9-11 attacks, but they can force us to allow them to advertise there agenda at a Christian based theme park in the South. This person wore this shirt hoping to cause a scene.

Why do people insist on shoving there personal agenda down everyone else's throat?

If someone wants to be gay that's there business.  The bible calls homosexuality a sin. period. I don't have to accept it if I don't want to.

</Soapbox>

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 10:37:03 AM »
okie!  agree with you about the cross, pledge of allegiance, in god we trust and so on. But that is all another conversation.

I am not going to get into the gay thing.

My point is that the shirt was not loud!or had offensive language! or had Derogatory language! or was flipping the bird..

My point would be if i were to wear a shirt that said "marriage is straight.".  would i have to change my shirt?

If not? why? Arent i expressing my sexual belief?

I think right or wrong, should not be a personal feeling. But the park does need to have rules/guidelines to follow..

I would still like to know the employee and the thoughts/feelings/beliefs.  I bet that would shed some light on the subject.

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 06:22:36 PM »
I guess my thought on this is as long as the shirt is not flat out insulting/dirty language, who cares?

In this case.... sexual preference aside.

"marriage is Gay" -  Nothing dirty, and i would imagine that 80% of the people that "might" read would not even pay attention to it.!

It not like it says Marriage is F********  Gay!??

I would like to know the specifics on this, how old was the employee, why he/she thought it was offensive. Or other details.

I think maybe the employee overstepped their "authority:...

This is just my thoughts.

I agree.   I think what makes the Herschend properties special is their foundation on Christian Values.   But I will say, if you are a Company that is going to stay viable in this economic climate, you really have to have clear policies.   As you all know, Gay Days is now a yearly event that just happens to take place at WDW during the first weekend in July.  We do not solicit for this to happen on a particular weekend, but it does because we run a BUSINESS.  There are certainly people who have issues or certain feelings about being subjected to fundamental beliefs other than their own, but that's what makes our trained Cast Members great.  We deal with those issues on a case by case basis, but we have clear guidelines.

We are a "family" park, but we are also "open to every guest, every day" like Dollywood and SDC.   If you plan on surviving this economy then you need understand that no one should be discriminated against if it's not clear as to why.    The word "GAY" isn't a dirty word - but if it sparks reaction by anyone, then it should be clearly stated in their policies.    If someone was gay and clearly mentioned it to someone at the Park, but didn't wear the word "gay" on their shirt, I wonder if they would be refused service?   

I hate to say this, but I remember VIVIDLY going to SDC as a kid and having people comment about noticing "how many black people are beginning to come to the Park."   Maybe I've always been empathic, but even as a kid, I found that pretty appalling.

I love the parks...always will.  I'm a devout Christian but take issue with discrimination. I just feel this a pretty bad business move. 

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 06:27:58 PM »
I should also say that even though this board will be divided on this subject, I appreciate the open and honest dialogue that is supported here.  I've grown up working in Parks my entire life  and have dealt with Guests who disagree with Park Policy as well as my own personal beliefs, but it has never affected my view of what service is.

That's why I love you all.  You totally can let it all out about social barometer issues like this and still come back together for the love of the Herschend Experience.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 07:05:46 PM »
Saw an Internet story about an ugly woman, very butch looking, tattooed, old, bulging mid section, who decided to wear a string bikini top into a Wal-Mart in Oregon to pick up a few items in the grocery section. An employee told her to put on a shirt or she would have to go. Said coming in like that violated health code in the grocery section. The old gal threw a big fit about it, crying to the media. (On the soapbox now) Where has decorum gone, common sense, and manners, consideration for others? If your as nasty as that in public, please, do us all a favor and STAY AT HOME! And, no...even if this gal would have been some great looking 21 year old beach babe, I still would not want to see her strutting around in a string bikini top at Wal-Mart. Come on...Of course, since the media gave the story a lot of attention, Wal-Mart apologized for the incident. To me, they should throw out any circus freaks who come in to shop.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 07:16:01 PM »
LOL....you take your life in your hands a Wal-Mart anyway!   I still pine for the days when people think about what they wear to the Parks.   Anyone ever see the early days of Disneyland when it opened?  Sunday best (dresses, gloves, pressed pants). 

Mind you people work too hard to dress up...especially in this heat, but just ONE TIME, I would love to see people really enjoy the park in their finest.

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 09:10:13 PM »
Mind you people work too hard to dress up...especially in this heat, but just ONE TIME, I would love to see people really enjoy the park in their finest.

I would do it!!

But as far as the shirt issue, I know a person (she used to be my friend, then things happened. Anyway...) who wears a "Straight Pride" shirt all the time and I have never heard anybody say anything to her about it. Not even at school. But I'm pretty sure that if she has worn a Gay Pride shirt, many people would be very offended. I don't think that's right. My best friend is gay, and we were friends before I even knew he was gay. So I don't see what the big deal is. People are people and they should be treated as such.
I don't see how it should be any different than wearing a shirt about Jesus. It's still stating a belief. Yes, I'm Christian, but I'm also very open minded, but not to discrimination.
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin