Author Topic: sdc at christmas  (Read 9882 times)

Avalanche04

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
sdc at christmas
« on: August 21, 2011, 01:34:56 PM »
hello all i have a question,for all my friends here on this site. my wife and i will be celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary this December, we thought about a weekend at sdc and was wondering if any rides are open this time of year and what else there is to do in the winter?

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
Re: sdc at christmas
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 01:49:13 PM »
Dependant upon the temperature, manu rides are still operating (aside from water rides). If it is above freezing (or near to is, roller coasters and the like usually run.
Weather permitting, your family's favorite rides and attractions will be open during An Old Time Christmas! Enjoy Fire-In-The-Hole, Flooded Mine, Frisco Sing-Along Steam Train, Geyser Gulch, Grandfather's Mansion, Homestead Barnyard, Marvel Cave, Thunderation, The GIANT Swing,  The Grand Exposition, RiverBlast, WildFire® and PowderKeg®.
More details with specific temperatures can be found here:
http://festivals.bransonsilverdollarcity.com/mini-section/?id=55&pid=210
The Giant Swing 38 degrees
Hi-Lo Silos 32 degrees
PowderKeg® 40 degrees
RiverBlast 35 degrees
Thunderation 32 degrees (38 degrees with precipitation)
WildFire® 40 degrees
The Grand Exposition   
Electro Spin 35 degrees
Elephant March 35 degrees
Grand Exposition Coaster 42 degrees
Happy Frogs 35 degrees
Magnificent Wave Carousel 35 degrees
Mighty Galleon 35 degrees
Racing Regatta 35 degrees
Royal Tea Party 35 degrees

Destination SDC

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 02:11:53 PM »
SDC at Christmastime is a great time.  The whole atomosphere there at Christmastime is amazing.  It's beautifully decorated, the snacks and treats are delicious.  The shows are Fantastic.  There are still many rides open, not to mention all the shops.  We have been going to SDC for Old Time Christmas for the past 8 years - we never tire of it.  One piece of advice:  Be prepared for cold weather, dress appropriately.   While It's never too cold to be there, you would hate to be uncomfortable.  ENJOY!!!

Avalanche04

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 02:25:40 PM »
thank you so much i think you all have sealed the deal we will be going this year.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 02:42:07 PM »
Gloves Gloves Gloves!!!! I was near sweating last year! I was however wearing a cast up to the elbow on my arm, and that was the coldest area on my body since It did have the least amount of coverage, and man did that plaster hold the cold!

Avalanche04

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 03:36:31 PM »
lol im sure it did. and thank you for the advice!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 04:31:00 PM »
Should be a great trip for you.,  You will enjoy it..

As everybody else stresses..... DRESS WARM!!  you can always strip down! ;D

OTC is GREAT!  i am ready for another season.

Avalanche04

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 04:42:02 PM »
thank you and I'm already excited about going.

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 04:45:36 PM »
Always chedck the weather. I have gone over the Thanksgiving weekend for serval years and it has been either 70 degrees and  nice or raining or in the 30's with flurries.
SDC has always made a great past to remember

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 05:28:36 PM »
LOL!! your right oldscer,, it seem like it is always 1 extreme or the other that weekend!

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 08:49:59 PM »
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Note my avatar
SDC Old Time Christmas is THE BEST!! We have been going every year for my entire life. That means i've seen 23 Silver Dollar City Christmas'. We tend to go the weekend after Thanksgiving, ohhhh!! It always puts us in the best Christmas mood.  ;D
The Tree, the lights, the shops, the shows, the Chrismas buffet, the train, EVERYTHING at SDC at Chrismas is absolutly amazing! I never tire of it, and it always put a joy to my holiday season. It is my favorite festival, always has been, always will be.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

Avalanche04

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 09:06:56 PM »
dollarcityboy, thank you for that, i have to be honest I'm in my 40s and have been going to sdc and branson since the early 70s anyway i have lost the Christmas spirit some time ago and i cant wait too go.

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 12:16:01 AM »
I agree with DollarCityBoy.  Nobody does Christmas better than SDC. When you visit SDC for Christmas, make sure you ride the steam train.  No matter how long the line is....ride the train.  There is no train robbery during Christmas-time, just a nice visit to Grandpa's house.   I too am in my 40's.  I promise that the train's visit at grandpa's house will help restore the Spirit of Christmas in your heart!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 07:18:27 AM »
OK.  NON SDC-    But, We rode the ducks in branson during their "christmas season".  Very nice, and very worthwhile.  they take the ducks up on the mountain for lights, santa, and you get to see grandpa up there also..  It is very much like the SDC train ride.  the excursions lasts over an hour. can be very enlightening.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 10:47:24 AM »
I love the rides! But I agree, the best part about the Christmas festival is simply the atmosphere. Sure it’s a bit cooler, but a nice cup of hot coco will warm you up in a jiffy.

It’s a very romantic time to go, and a good time to cuddle with a loved one.