Author Topic: SDC's 2013 Project  (Read 718145 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
SDC's 2013 Project
« on: October 25, 2011, 09:33:38 PM »
So I haven't been paying attention to the forums as much recently due to my workload, but I noticed tonight that several people have been mentioning ride ops openly stating that a new coaster is coming next season to Wilson's farm. U Smell Smoke even mentioned seeing purple markers in the area behind TGS.

Has anyone else seen these markers? Can anyone get some photos on their next trip? We'd all be greatly appreciative.

Ride ops are definitely not reliable in terms of these kinds of rumors. Rumors about new rides tend to fly around among park employees just as easily as they do on forums like this one. However, we do have a surprisingly good track record of hearing about new rides from park employees at both SDC and DW, so you never know. With this many people saying the same thing, something might be up, but it might be a rumor based on something that won't actually pan out, or might be coming in 2013 instead of next year.

We're getting pretty close to the time that the park would announce a new ride if they're getting one, and construction would probably have already started to some degree if it's anything as big as a new coaster. DW's new coaster is already structurally complete, and most of the other coasters coming next year are well under way as well.

It seems more likely to me that the park is getting ready to start preliminary work on a ride that will open in 2013 - probably the rumored woodie. However, you never really know how these things work behind the scenes. Maybe we'll be surprised this season. Season passes go on sale next week, I think, so we'll probably know for sure soon.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
SDC's 2013 Project
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 05:52:35 AM »
Shave,  yes i actually saw markers out by the train track 3 weeks ago,

I wondered then what for? thought maybe they were checking elevation of track or something...??

I did not walk out by the swing and look for other markers.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
SDC's 2013 Project
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 08:33:22 AM »

Thinking about a new coaster in that area.  Seems strange they would wall off new areas for expansion making it  more difficult to use the area behind the coaster.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 08:09:37 AM by mhguy77 »

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
SDC's 2013 Project
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 11:54:25 PM »
Ah, yes Autumn. The leaves are turning colors, the air is crisp, and the rumors at Silver Dollar City are spreading like wildfire. Love it! ;D

We have seen flag markers before, with nothing to come from it (example: Waterboggan). Since flag markers could be used for different types of surveying, it will be difficult to come up with any concrete answers just yet.

I do agree that Silver Dollar City needs something new to push ticket sales.

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
SDC's 2013 Project
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 08:46:37 AM »

We have seen flag markers before, with nothing to come from it (example: Waterboggan). Since flag markers could be used for different types of surveying, it will be difficult to come up with any concrete answers just yet.

It would be nice if these new flags continued around the lake and tied into the flags that were surveyed for the Waterboggan area.

A nice long "out and back" type twister coaster similar to Prowler would be great. A wild fast ride through the trees and close to the ground, might cut down on construction time too...

Jay

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
SDC's 2013 Project
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 10:12:20 AM »
i dont think that will happen jay, that would be the ride above and beside the RR tracks for too long...

But other than that, behing the lake is a great idea..

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
SDC's 2013 Project
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 01:46:03 PM »
Hello, strangers. It's been a very rough year for our family so I've been silent on the board(s) for quite some time. Nice to see some new chatter and speculation around a possible addition to the park.

Several months ago, I reached out to HFEC to see if they would provide any answers with respect to what we might expect at SDC in the next year beyond the addition of HDH. Specifically, I asked if we could expect a new, major thrill ride anytime soon. I also offered my list of personal reasons why I think adding a new coaster is warranted at this time. Apparently, my message drew some attention as it was forwarded to SDC and graciously returned by a woman from upper management who even provided her number and invited me to stay in touch.

Anyway, she explained in her response that next season (2012) we can anticipate SDC focusing on improving their festivals, but much bigger plans are on the horizon.

I realize this isn't any real news, but it seems to be consistent with the ideas floating around here that any markers seen in the park could be indicative of something in the works for 2013, not anytime before.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
SDC's 2013 Project
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 03:18:35 PM »
good info there! Now we can speculate as what is going to be improved festival wise. which is always fun! Thanks for sharing backintime! keep updating us!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
SDC's 2013 Project
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 04:01:45 PM »
Thanks for the update BackInTime9, the more info we get the more it all seems to point to next year being quieter addition-wise, but we'll have a new coaster project to watch apparently.

If they're getting started on it now, it could be a very sizable ride. If it's going behind the barn, they'll have a ton of earth to move, trees to clear, geotech work, and they might have to move/rebuild the train barn and some maintenance areas.

With Prowler at WOF being so close and so highly lauded, and the three big woodies at SFStL so well known, it seems like if they're going to woodie route that they'll definitely want to make it big and special. I don't think it will be an extreme ride necessarily, but it could have a number of special features such as 90 degree turns, tunnels, and thematics to set it apart from the others. SDC seemed like they were ready to lay down big bucks for a Mystery Mine concept not too long ago, so they probably could budget a lot toward this ride beyond just building a typical wooden coaster. Their money will go a lot farther with a wooden coaster in any case.

Take a look at the Knight Valley coaster that GCII recently built: http://rcdb.com/9039.htm?p=35941
It takes up way more space than I think SDC would use, but it certainly shows what GCII has been doing recently, and how the terrain at SDC could lend itself to a coaster like this.

Here's a look at the area where the station could go, definitely lots more space there than it might seem, though the cabin might have to go:

And here's more of an overview of the area where the track would run. There's a steep drop off just north of the train tracks into a ravine that is bordered on both sides by those maintenance buildings. I could see there being a short lift over the train tracks, then a drop down into the ravine where the track would cross over itself a number of times, maybe running out beyond the pond and around behind the big maintenance area. Or, it could run down the ravine towards the current robbery point, but I kind of hope it doesn't, as that's pretty much the last place on park that you can't hear rides running anymore, and it would sure hurt the experience...

Whew, that's a lot of writing. It's been to long since we had something good to speculate over! Might have to split this off into a 2013 thread soon.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 04:02:23 PM by shavethewhales »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
SDC's 2013 Project
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 06:33:10 PM »
well shave you are the master speculator. I am sure your right on the money on this.  The area you have pictured is where all the markers are scattered out around the tracks,,  soooo...............................................

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
SDC's 2013 Project
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 12:09:35 PM »
I think they are building the SDC Fans Members only lodge.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
SDC's 2013 Project
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 03:09:23 PM »
does it have a secret entrance, handshake and password?

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
SDC's 2013 Project
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 04:44:32 PM »
Hey rube!,  since you mentioned the members lodge.

have they started on the 3000 + room addition yet?   Hope so, and i hope it has a big cozy fireplace..

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
SDC's 2013 Project
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 05:31:47 PM »
rub it in sand dune---rub it in!!

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
SDC's 2013 Project
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2011, 12:19:33 PM »
How are they going to squeeze in a “major” ride into that area? There are so many out-of-theme buildings, and equipment in the back of the park that they have their work cut out for them. It will be interesting to see how it all unfolds.

It still drives me crazy to the see an employee parking lot from Thunderation.  :o ;)