Author Topic: SDC's 2013 Project  (Read 718009 times)

SDC#1fan

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2013 Project
« Reply #135 on: January 12, 2012, 04:34:42 PM »
Speaking of the train. What do you think the possibility of the train being closed for a while or at least on a day by day basis for construction of the ride over the train track?
Look dad a bear! (colton pointing to a Cow)

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 12, 2012, 05:38:46 PM »
There's really not much to see.  They've totally cleared the little hill where the robber's shack sat.  The caboose that you could see beyond the fence from the giant swing has been repositioned onto that cleared area, just across the road from where it did sit.  Whether that's temporary or permanent, I don't know.  The little draw just north of that robber's shack has been cleared of underbrush and smoothed out.  That's about all that can be seen to this point.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 12, 2012, 05:50:43 PM »
Thanks Zephon!
I'm Your Huckleberry

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 12, 2012, 10:22:58 PM »
It's too bad no one on the forum doesn't live close to the park and have access to a helicopter or private plane to run some overhead offseason recon. The park may be closed but that doesn't mean the airspace above is off limits. Speaking of which, anyone know if the Branson helicopter tours run this time of year, and if so, do they fly over SDC?

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 13, 2012, 08:29:48 AM »
listen to us! Recon missions to aide our combined speculation.... ;D
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 13, 2012, 11:18:09 AM »
they will fly over the city, I checked the rates once,,, about 375.00 per hour...

Dont think they tour this time of year, But I am sure for an hour they would fire up for a private ride!,,

Great idea!!

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 13, 2012, 11:28:12 AM »
So no one caught any pictures prior to the park closing for the year, and no one has off season access? Is it fair to assume we'll all be spending two more agonizing months waiting to get another glimpse of what might be happening...on the other side the tracks?  ;)

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #142 on: January 13, 2012, 02:30:09 PM »
So no one caught any pictures prior to the park closing for the year, and no one has off season access? Is it fair to assume we'll all be spending two more agonizing months waiting to get another glimpse of what might be happening...on the other side the tracks?  ;)

I took some pictures from the train on the last day the park was open, however:

My camera on my Blackberry is just ok in perfect conditions. When I took the pictures it was dusk, the train was moving, there were Christmas lights in the woods, and there really wasn't much to see. I'll look at them again and see if they're worth posting but I really don't think so. There were some wooden stakes, some utility markings (both near the train tracks) and across the holler behind the GS there was a trackhoe that had started clearing a few trees and some dirt. That's it. The City was only open for another 4hrs or so after that for the season so there wasn't much chance of park guests getting much more than that.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 13, 2012, 07:37:06 PM »
OK...I took a few pictures today.  As I said before, there's not much to see.

This is a composite of the hillside the old robber's shack sat on from a perspective of behind it.

This is looking up the hill toward where it sat from the tracks.

This is a shot of the draw to the north of the old robber shack location.

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 13, 2012, 07:41:47 PM »
Breaks my heart a little. But I guess that is the price of progress...
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #145 on: January 13, 2012, 07:58:02 PM »
Thanks Zephon! Interesting to see how close they're cutting to the maintaince area. I'm pretty sure some of that hilltop used to be a storage area. I see more stakes down in the valley - a possible indication of where track will go?

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 13, 2012, 08:10:23 PM »
You're right, shave, it does get close, and most of that hill you see there is the result of years and years of fill, almost to the point of where that hoe is sitting.  I can't imagine it being solid enough to build on...but what do I know.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 13, 2012, 08:50:35 PM »
I like to think its our giant fan clubhouse they are building!!! Thanks for the pictures!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Injun Joe

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 13, 2012, 10:02:05 PM »
Great pictures! Thank you very much!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 13, 2012, 10:38:02 PM »
Still sad to see the ole shack go...but time marches on. It will be exciting to watch them build in the vicinity over the next year. I've got my season pass and will be ready to hit the park in spring. Thanks for the photos, Zephon.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"