Author Topic: Not much activity, so let's stir something up: a Top Ten  (Read 10345 times)

Kentucky Optimist

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
Re: Not much activity, so let's stir something up: a Top Ten
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2012, 12:20:39 PM »
I pass the time by searching the websites of local resorts and hotels near SDC...looking for a new place to stay.

As for descriptions of the park when it is closed to the public as described by Zephon and Junior...I think palallin beat me to the punch- I'd be willing to pay to take a tour of the park on a closed day. 

My wife and I walked out of a restaurant in EPCOT a few years ago after the park had been closed off for the evening fireworks show.  We knew that there'd be a huge rush at the trams and busses, so we just wondered around the dark, roped off sections of the park until the crowd died down.  It was so relaxing to just stroll in the quiet areas...it sure helped that we were also trying to walk off a huge meal.
Finest Cuts of Meat & Pianos Tuned

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2012, 06:53:02 PM »
I also check the branson webcams nitely, and it looks funny to only see 1 or 2 cars on 76, and thats after watching it for a minute or so.

You tube is a wonderful thing,

I have the beverly hillbillies on my DVR,

And ocunt me in on the off season tours, just let me know when!!

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2012, 10:19:25 PM »
Several years ago I was in the park after closing waiting for a friend that was in a meeting ( he worked there)
It was more than odd to see the streets empty and the music and rides all off.  Its a little Erie to be honest.
A place like SDC needs the people to give it life.  Its a neat thing to explore while empty but really also a little horror film like. 

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2012, 10:32:16 PM »
Several years ago I was in the park after closing waiting for a friend that was in a meeting ( he worked there)
It was more than odd to see the streets empty and the music and rides all off.  Its a little Erie to be honest.
A place like SDC needs the people to give it life.  Its a neat thing to explore while empty but really also a little horror film like. 

The Twilight Zone...
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2012, 06:13:21 PM »

As for descriptions of the park when it is closed to the public as described by Zephon and Junior...I think palallin beat me to the punch- I'd be willing to pay to take a tour of the park on a closed day.

Me three!!!!!   ;D

I picked up a 1973 SDC brochure off eBay a couple of weeks ago. (How I pass the off season time in addition to a lot of the aforementioned ways.) Been meaning to get it posted but can't get the stupid scanner to work. AAR, on the back page it advertises a guided tour with a citizen. It doesn't specifically say but I'm assuming for an extra cost. Do they still do this? Do you remember this happening in your days Junior?
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2012, 10:34:50 PM »
They used to offer what they called the "Boardwalk Review" or "Boardwalk Tour".  Cute tour guides would take small groups out on park, pointing out various points of interest and relating interesting tidbits about the park.  Those were discontinued in the late 70's or early 80's.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2012, 05:58:18 AM »
I have been in the park during OTC, when the crowds are very low, as in maybe 200-300 or so.

After Dark, lights off, very few people around.. The city gets very serene, and quiet.
as you all said almost a "Twilight zone" type of feeling.. 

Seemed very odd walking around seldom seeing anybody.  Kid of nice for a change. For sure different fromt he daily hustle and bustle. ;D

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2012, 09:47:44 PM »
Hi Everyone!  I had to go an entire week without reading your comments.  It was a loooong week - broke my knee at work and, FORTUNATELY, a dear elderly friend took me to her house to take care of me since the hubs was waaay out of town. UNFORTUNATELY, she doesn't have internet.  God bless her anyway!  I'm back home now, but immobile, so...reading your posts is helping me wile away the hours!  So, keep posting everyone! 
~ I heard a train in the distance while at my friends, and SDC was the first thing I thought about.
~ I showed her every pic of SDC on my computer.
~ After checking my email, I headed straight to the forum to see what everyone was posting.
Hmm..what am I going to do for the next 7 weeks??  Maybe I'll photoshop my pics, listen to my Fire In The Hole ringtone, and talk the husband into an opening week trip.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2012, 07:22:08 AM »
Hpe you are doing better, Gilligan! :)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2012, 09:28:04 AM »
wow!! bad deal!!  Hope the healing all goes well.!

and good luck on the opening day trip!

Baldknobber

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2012, 06:17:09 PM »
Well, I don't have a top ten, but I do enjoy opening the freezer to see that we put a loaf of  Eva And Delilahs raisin cinnamon bread in there. Then, I open the fridge to see my pancake mix AND funnel cake mix from the mill in there.... We are pacing ourselves. Oh the anticipation of trying to not consume it all prior to the 2012 season!!!!

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2012, 08:20:15 PM »
I made my own potato chips today! They sorta tasted like the ones at SDC, but it just wasn't the same  :(
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2012, 06:17:52 PM »
mmm, home made chips.. sounds good.. ::)

I ued to make funnel cakes at the house, but just is not the same... :'(

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2012, 07:14:25 PM »
The wife made succotash for dinner tonight.  ;D
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2012, 07:16:12 PM »
Play homemade version of SDC Monopoly.

This is brilliant! Hmmmm....Hubby collects Monopoly....I love SDC (and a good craft project)....I know how I'm gonna spend the rest of the off season!
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"