Author Topic: Saloon Show  (Read 9370 times)

eak3littlejohs

• View Profile
Saloon Show
« on: January 30, 2012, 11:45:29 AM »
i would like to see a new saloon show this yr...anyone think the same????

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Saloon Show
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 12:02:13 PM »
No, I'm actually really satisfied with the Saloon Show as it is. It's gone through some revisions since it changed a few years ago, and the show I saw last year was perfect. The cast was great, the lineup of songs was finally acceptable, and it just overall felt like a really slick production, having finally found the right footing. I'd like to see this version of it run for at least a few more years before they try to do any kind of major overhaul like the last one that led us to the current show.

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 01:09:43 PM »
I agree with Joy, but maybe change a few things, but nothing major. Just enough for us who have seen it a THOUSAND times to pick up the difference, but not where it becomes a whole new show.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 01:10:15 PM by tiffanylynnt »
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 01:43:10 PM »
I  would like to see them bring back the song "Why do they call them Wild Women?" from the old classic Carrie Nation raid show they did years ago. I always thought this was a funny song and loved the can-can dancing and interaction with the bartenders.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 03:19:52 PM »
I  would like to see them bring back the song "Why do they call them Wild Women?" from the old classic Carrie Nation raid show they did years ago. I always thought this was a funny song and loved the can-can dancing and interaction with the bartenders.

That would be really cool!!! They should definitely do that!

I think they should dig up the original script and use that! It would be a nice little reminiscent thing for everyone who has seen the original, and it would be like a whole new show for the younger crowd and people who hadn't seen it. In my book, everyone wins!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 03:20:59 PM by tiffanylynnt »

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 05:49:13 PM »
where is the original MIss Tilly now? Always love her giggle, especially when a baby in the crowd  repeated it during the show.
SDC has always made a great past to remember

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 06:06:33 PM »
Sorry everybody, But I would love to see an all new show..  I dont even go to the follies anymore because it is the same old thing.

I have said before, I would like to see them have 2 or 3 skits and switch off every couple of months or if nothing else change it year to year..  3 skits would be 3 years...

Along the same line I would like to see GAC have some major song and dance changes, along with different jokes..the MC's jokes a have been the same for 2 years.. An there again, they could switch out every couple of months or every other year.

It cant be that hard to do "new" shows, that are done everyday..

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 07:23:13 PM »
On a related note, how many "different" Saloon shows have there been? The Carrie Nation show, the Bad Bart show I remember from growing up in the 90s, what else?
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 09:05:22 AM »
I was always teased by my parents, they called me miss tilley. hahaha I miss those days.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

eak3littlejohs

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 07:42:48 PM »
dont get me wrong i like the saloon show that is goin on now....but just think its time for a change
someone tell me if im wrong or not but it seems like when i was a kid there was a saloon show that where a big black pot got stuck on the bartenders head n the mirror behind the bar got broke every time.

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 11:15:03 PM »
Ah...the Saloon show.

Let's see...Carrie Nation show, Jace and Lem show, Mean Murphy & Choctaw Charlie show, Buffalo Fred show, 25th Anniversary show, there was one where Bart hired a couple of hucksters to put on a show, and the one with the current characters, not necessarily in that order.  All have had variations on the theme.  Bart and Miss Tilly were birthed in the Mean Murphy/Choctaw Charlie show and strung along in some of the others.  And then the various Christmas shows which have generally the same characters but different "bits."  There may be another one or two that I missed.

The black pot was a spittoon and was a bit in the Carrie Nation show.

The original Miss Tilly is married to Jae McFerron, who still works at the City.  She is a stay at home mom for the most part and they have three boys.

Junior, I believe the PC police got to Carrie.  I don't think we'll ever see any thing close to the old Carrie Nation show again.

I've not seen the current version of the regular season show, which is why I can't name the characters I guess, so I can't comment on it.  But I would have to say that the best one (as far as the audience responding favorably, laughing and the like) was the Mean Murphy/Choctaw Charlie show.

There was a concept tried for a short time one year in which the doors of the Saloon were left open all day.  Guests could supposedly come and go as they wanted.  It was a failure because the PTB insisted on having a turnover of the audience every twenty or thirty minutes, so they did a twenty minute show and then shooed everyone out.  What's the point of leaving the doors open then?  I think the idea of leaving the doors open is fundamentally sound, but there has to be continuous entertainment.  It would require a couple of strong emcees (so that one wouldn't have to be on stage all day) to keep things rolling.  Skits and bits (for comedy and character development), specialty songs (solos and/or group numbers), dance numbers (Can Can), one-liner crossovers, maybe a juggler or magician, etc.  Street entertainers, i.e., the Hatfield and McCoys, Deputy and Marshal, could come in for a "happening" or two.   If it was cast correctly, cast members could come up with their own ideas for their own specialty acts, and with enough different "acts" to pick from on a rotating basis, there would be plenty of time for breaks while someone else was entertaining.  That all would make it resemble a real old-time saloon more closely.

"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 09:08:42 AM »
Now that would be an interesting idea...  AND if they worked up a 2 or 3 hour skit, they could just do it over an dover throught he day maybe...

mmmm??

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 11:44:09 AM »
Zephon was a singing bartender at the saloon in years past. So was Parson Lee who is now your Wilderness Church guy. Greg Roberts, Mike Reed, two of the Juniors  I worked with, were also singing bartenders. The only show I ever knew was the Carrie Nation Show. All the other shows since then are a new thing to me. I saw the show last season twice and thought it was pretty good. Never have seen a Christmas show. I do want to thank Zephon for giving us all a little history lesson on the various shows over the years at the saloon.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 11:59:56 AM »
Speaking of Carrie Nation: When I was in elementary school, the whole 4th grade did a history museum-like event where some of the 4th grade classes made artifacts and did reports while the other classes picked famous people from Missouri and had to tell about those people in 1st person. The "statues" stood in random places all over the school and had a "button" drawn on our hand with Sharpie, so if you wanted to hear about a certain person, you "pushed" the button, like a statue coming to life. The event was a Friday afternoon during school so the students could "visit the museum" and a Saturday evening so parents and people from around town could "visit the museum".
I was in one of the classes who did the skits. Guess who I got to be!? Yep, Carrie Nation. I had to borrow a black dress from one of my mom's friends so it would be floor length. I had a black scarf covering my hair and I had to wear my tap shoes with black socks because none of my regular shoes were plain black. And the choir director worked part time at the high school so she dug out a fake axe from the high school drama prop closet, and I had to borrow my Dad's Bible because mine is navy blue, and his is black. I can still remember some of my lines.  :)

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 04:59:22 PM »
I love when fun things just fall into place and you can pay homage to our little slice of paradise!!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!