Author Topic: Marvel Cave Group Pictures  (Read 5428 times)

haytater

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Marvel Cave Group Pictures
« on: June 09, 2008, 01:32:36 PM »
When I did the Marvel Cave tour as a kid, I remember having a group picture taken before we went into the cave. My parents told me they did that to make sure no one snuck off during the tour or fell into an undiscovered abyss. It scared the crap out of me. There was a girl with a huge pink mohawk in the picture and I thought, "Whoa, no one will lose her!" When I went last year they didn't take the group picture but they did have a photographer in the cathedral room to take souvenir pictures. I guess all these years my parents were lying to me about keeping track of people and those group pictures were just for souvenir's sake. Hmph.

sdcforever

Re: Marvel Cave Group Pictures
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 04:08:17 PM »
It's true.  Your parents were lying to you to keep you in line in the cave.  :)

I miss the group pictures.  I have several and they are great keepsakes.  It's interesting to look back and see how much you remember about the people who went on the tour with you, and also to see which guide you had.  I guess they probably sell more pictures now that they only have your family/friends in them.

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 11:30:07 PM »
I remember the group pictures too. I have seen some that date back to the sixties and the woman were wearing high heeled shoes in them. If they had fiber optics back then they probably would have taken them in the cave like they do today. To be fair to your parents the guides you to say that they were taking the picture just in case you got lost. They said that to me too, lol!

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 02:58:24 PM »
Everybody go check your old group pictures right now.  When my wife and I were engaged, we discovered that we were on the same Marvel Cave tour some 15 years before we ever met!  Well, not really - that's another lie.  But wouldn't it be a cool story!
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

DocSpeleo

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 09:52:27 PM »
hahaha that would have made an excellent story
lol

I miss the old group photos as well, but the new ones look very nice.  there's a group on flickr with cave photos when i was searching for cave & sdc pics online.

haytater

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 11:58:54 PM »
^ Post the link por favor. I'd like to see them.

DocSpeleo

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 04:25:00 PM »
My mother dug up a couple of old group shots:

The first is circa 1978.  The second is circa 1971.  If you see yourself in either of these, identify yourself.

In the second one, I am in the first row on the left in the awesome - perhaps garish - plaid shorts.  I'm in the first one, too, in the middle of the pack.

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 04:41:18 PM »
Everybody go check your old group pictures right now.  When my wife and I were engaged, we discovered that we were on the same Marvel Cave tour some 15 years before we ever met!  Well, not really - that's another lie.  But wouldn't it be a cool story!

We have a picture of my wife and her dad riding the mine train at SFOT and my Mom and two sisters sitting behind them in the same mine car (this was back when they would put 3 people in a seat). I think the picture was taken in 77 or 78, I was 6 or 7 at the time. It was a really cool find when we were going though old pictures one day.

Jay

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 11:59:04 AM »
The first is circa 1978
  The first one shows 1981 visible in the upper right hand corner. I thought that I might be in that one, but alas, no

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 02:11:23 PM »
^Thanks.  I hadn't caught that.  Mom's way of "scanning" in pictures is to take a picture of a picture with her camera.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 03:59:02 PM »
Why are there no longer group pictures?  That's a a bummer!  I have several old ones, also, somewhere...

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 04:39:43 PM »
I suppose most only want a picture of themselves and not strangers, but I liked the group shots.  Besides, it took so much less time.  When they want to take my picture in front of the Liberty Bell, I decline so as not to waste everyone's time.

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 09:37:22 AM »
Did anybody else get their tour guide to autograph their picture for them?

Dragon Dad

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2014, 12:46:05 AM »
My mother dug up a couple of old group shots:
The first is circa 1978.  The second is circa 1971.  If you see yourself in either of these, identify yourself.

LOL.  We posed for many of these when I was a kid.  Every time I see one being sold on eBay, I always check to see if my family is in it. I know the odds are astronomical that I'll every find myself, but you never know.  :D