Author Topic: SDC's 2015 Project  (Read 384270 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: SDC's 2015 Project
« Reply #570 on: July 30, 2014, 12:35:19 PM »
Just making a point. Lots of millennials enjoy the ozarkan aspects of SDC, including the craftsmen and other things that are assumed to be reserved to "old foggies". It's not necessarily what brings them into the park or is the main focus of the visit, but it does become part of the overall unique experience that sets the park apart from its bland competitors. I just think sometimes there's too much focus on the perceived wants of the younger generation vs. the old generation when so much of it comes down to the overall experience of the park which is shared by everyone.

Anyway though, back to the topic at hand. Let's not over think this: SDC is taking an old kid's area and revitalizing and expanding it. I think the main questions at hand are how the rides will interact with the environment and what features the new play building will have.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #571 on: July 30, 2014, 02:18:52 PM »
1. It really annoys me how some people post comments on facebook posts like that.  It's like they don't use their brains at all.  The most ANNOYING that I've read this year is when KCTV5 blew a story so out of proportion about WoF's SteelHawk eStopping 20ft in the air and "stranding" its riders.  Oh my gosh the comments on there was just beyond ludicrous.

2. SDC is not abandoning the younger kids - if anything they almost cater to them solely.  It is rather annoying (to me) that so many of the additions lately have been things that I have no desire to mess with because I am not the target age group (they're not the only ones.  SFStL and WOF have been doing it too).

3. Fireman's Landing is not going to be catered to teens.  It will have one thrill ride.  The S&S tower.  The rest of the area will be catered to families with younger kids.  Sorry if you were hoping for more, but it's not going to be WOOHOO for anyone without a younger child.  Yes it will look nice and be an improvement over what is there now, but let's call a spade a spade.

4. Regarding what each age group has to do at the park
PreK - HDH/GE
K-5 - GE/FL
6-20's - Coasters/S&S tower/GE"bigrides"/TGS/waterrides/coasters
30/40 - same as 6-20's + shows and exhibits
40+ - Some rides/shows and exhibits / scenery

5. The petting zoo that was to go by TGS was cut because they didn't want to move it from the Homestead and remove an "attraction" from that area.  The swing got axed due to space limitations and other "atmosphere" additions.

6. GE is more than a county fair.  While some people do not like it, it did what it was supposed to do - add ride capacity to the park.  I personally feel they did a nice job implementing it.  Could they have done more, of course but what they did do is pretty darn good.  I love how the trees have grown in there.
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: July 30, 2014, 03:02:37 PM »
1. It really annoys me how some people post comments on facebook posts like that.  It's like they don't use their brains at all.  The most ANNOYING that I've read this year is when KCTV5 blew a story so out of proportion about WoF's SteelHawk eStopping 20ft in the air and "stranding" its riders.  Oh my gosh the comments on there was just beyond ludicrous.

2. SDC is not abandoning the younger kids - if anything they almost cater to them solely.  It is rather annoying (to me) that so many of the additions lately have been things that I have no desire to mess with because I am not the target age group (they're not the only ones.  SFStL and WOF have been doing it too).

3. Fireman's Landing is not going to be catered to teens.  It will have one thrill ride.  The S&S tower.  The rest of the area will be catered to families with younger kids.  Sorry if you were hoping for more, but it's not going to be WOOHOO for anyone without a younger child.  Yes it will look nice and be an improvement over what is there now, but let's call a spade a spade.

4. Regarding what each age group has to do at the park
PreK - HDH/GE
K-5 - GE/FL
6-20's - Coasters/S&S tower/GE"bigrides"/TGS/waterrides/coasters
30/40 - same as 6-20's + shows and exhibits
40+ - Some rides/shows and exhibits / scenery

5. The petting zoo that was to go by TGS was cut because they didn't want to move it from the Homestead and remove an "attraction" from that area.  The swing got axed due to space limitations and other "atmosphere" additions.

6. GE is more than a county fair.  While some people do not like it, it did what it was supposed to do - add ride capacity to the park.  I personally feel they did a nice job implementing it.  Could they have done more, of course but what they did do is pretty darn good.  I love how the trees have grown in there.

But they found a place for the swing was my point. I just wish for a bit more in the OR area to help pass time for those waiting to ride OR. And like I said, want more usage of HDH, put in a ball pit.

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: July 30, 2014, 04:09:08 PM »
I'm sitting back to wait and see how it turns out. When it is all said and done, it will be another spot where young kids and families will "make memories worth repeating" In my time on park, that area is where Eli Tolts' submersible was tethered to a lakeside tower, and the "Far Woods" area was where special event picnics were held. Plus there were a bunch of trees and shrubs and it was a pretty location. In my mind's eye that is the way it will ALWAYS be, no matter what attractions were put there in the 1990s or what is being built there now. Each new generation of families will most fondly remember how thing were in their time. Just wait and see. :D
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #574 on: July 30, 2014, 04:37:34 PM »
I don't expect WOOHOO either.  I just want it to look better than it does.  The best thing about GE, HDH, and the current GG is that they are dead ends.  If a child is lost, a parent is pretty safe in handing out at the entrance to each and knowing the kid can only come out through that way.  Hopefully that will remain true.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: July 30, 2014, 08:16:36 PM »
I really hate gyser gulch.  It's so crazy and parents are so over protective in that area.  Heck, they won't even share the balls with other small children.  They block off their own area.

The people that are going to keep this park open for years and years to come are the kids.  Right now they are taking parents and grandparents into expensive toys and junk.  In 20 years, they will being their kids back to experience what they did as kids.  Will it be the same?  No.  With my kids being 6, 6, and 2, will they ever take their children to most of the kid attractions that are there right now?  Probably not.  But they will take their kids because that is what they grew up with and loved. 

I saw two friends talking on Facebook about a recent trip.  Their husbands went with them and the kids.  The husbands do not care for sdc.  They never went as children.  They went to six flags and worlds of fun and they prefer that.  The wives grew up with sdc and prefer to take their kids there.  That right there tells you why investing in the younger crowds is worth it. 

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: July 31, 2014, 12:04:28 AM »
Count me in with Shave.  I'm 27 and would never go to SDC just for the rides or thrills.  Ozarks, crafts, history, memories, sights sounds and smells, theme, gags, a few of the shows, and general atmosphere are what will bring me back.  Of course I really enjoy the rides, but my favorite is FITH because of it's overall character.  Personally HATE GE and totally avoid the place as it feels like I'm in a totally different world over there that has nothing to do with SDC.  But it does add space to the park which spreads people out.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 12:06:04 AM by Preachin_Bill »
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: July 31, 2014, 11:48:30 AM »
I love Ozark Heritage.

I love the hills, the caves, the trees, the rivers, the lakes, the crafts and the music.

That's what SDC is supposed to celebrate. To me that is the heart and soul of SDC, and without it, it's just another amusement park.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #578 on: July 31, 2014, 01:13:54 PM »
Reagarding 2015 ... Oh balls.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 07:39:11 PM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #579 on: July 31, 2014, 01:51:57 PM »
Haven't heard anything about whether the balls will stick around, and don't know what Swoosh is getting at, but to make blind speculation I would say the foam balls won't be returning with Firemen's Landing. The cleanup, control, and replacement costs are something I see the PTB wanting to get rid of, even though they are popular. You also have odd issues such as those that others have mentioned where parents will act weird and cordon off their own sections inside the ball play areas just for their own kids. I don't know what else they would replace it with though that would be scalable for thousands of kids...

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: July 31, 2014, 02:04:49 PM »
I'm still curious if GG is getting completely torn down or just gutted and revamped/re imagined.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: July 31, 2014, 04:04:05 PM »
It is a lot of work keeping up with the balls. I worked Tom Sawyers Landing ballroom and remember a few occasions when a kid lost a loaded diaper. YEP, that meant an all night hose down at the ballroom. Not much fun for anyone!
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #582 on: July 31, 2014, 07:43:26 PM »
^and that is the reason there is no longer a ball pit.  I think Swoosh is implying that balls will be a big part of the '15 transformation.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: July 31, 2014, 08:01:20 PM »
I hear this will be the biggest balls of them all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ3tqIukBKg

Wood Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #584 on: August 01, 2014, 08:30:48 PM »
Anybody else think it would've been smarter for SDC to announce Project 2015 BEFORE announcing the closure of Geyser Gulch? I mean, they could've avoided all this backlash from the public.