Author Topic: Ride the Ducks in Branson  (Read 4878 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Ride the Ducks in Branson
« on: June 02, 2013, 09:30:22 PM »
Found some interesting Branson history in a book I have here at home. It states Gary Snadon (current owner of Shepherd of the Hills) and a partner were the ones in the early, early '70's who brought Ride the Ducks to Branson. They developed it and ran it for a while, I think they sold it to someone else who ran it for several years, and now SDC owns the operation and has expanded to all the different cities it is now in. Just a tidbit of history I ran across I thought was interesting and wanted to share with you.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Ride the Ducks in Branson
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 09:52:03 PM »
I didnt know all of that. Thanks Junior.
Tim
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream
then I am living the dream

DeweyBald

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 10:02:25 PM »
Didn't Gary pass away last year or the year before?  Seems like I heard that......

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 10:04:02 PM »
Maybe you are thinking Gary Clarkson? Old SDC Farrier? I don't remember hearing about Snadon dying. Anyone know about this?
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 08:20:57 AM »
Isn't he the one that was recently diagnosed with cancer?  I think I read that somewhere, but I don't want to be starting a rumor, so I'll check it out.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 08:58:14 AM »
I found it!  Terry Sanders posted on Facebook that Mr. Snadon was recently diagnosed with pancreatic and liver cancer.  He was asking for prayer requests.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 04:48:58 PM »
WOW, Mr. Snadon has cancer. Prayers to him and his family. I attended high school with one of his daughters. She and I also worked at SDC and at the Hee Haw Theater at the same time. Our family went to church with theirs. They sat in the pew in front of us every week. Gary Snadon and family are a good bunch of folks. Mr. Snadon has come along way from his early days when he was a coach in Branson schools. He started supplementing his family income in the 1960's by playing Wash Gibbs at Sh. of the Hills in the summer. Now he owns the place. He was instrumental in developing the Shepherd of the Hills Expressway property. He has been a major mover and shaker in Branson. I pray for him and wish his family well.

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 08:56:31 AM »
Bluegrass widow and I rode the ducks for the first time ever week before last. If you have never done it, I would highly recommend it, and you get $5 off with an SDC season pass. Not too many other things you can do in Branson for $15.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 02:52:28 PM »
Has anyone done Ride the Ducks at Taneycomo? How is that experience? My wife and I thought that might be a fun thing to do.

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 03:21:08 PM »
I am planning on doing the Taneycomo RTD trip in August, We will let you know how we like it.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 03:37:39 PM »
Junior, Taneycomo is a good litte cruise also, the ride "in" taneycome is less than thrilling, But they do take the duck done to the College of the Ozarks and cruise the campus, that with all the history.  it is a must do ride.  I would almost do the tanycome ride more than the tablerock ride..

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 03:45:06 AM »
I'm glad to hear they do the C of O tour. It's nice the college still gets some tourist visits with the museum, mill, star school, and other attractions they have there.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 07:42:37 AM »
your right junior,

while we are on the C of O topic...
the robert foster museum is a must see, 4 floors in a HUGE building and only admission is only 6 or 7 dollars. Great place to spend a HOT afternoon, OR rainy afternoon. 3 - 4 hours easy looking at everything, and you still wont see it all/.!. 1 complete floor is dedicated to firearms and ammo and hunting.. after all that is the life blood of the Ozarks..

also a modest tractor museum is on the college and the last time i was there it was no charge.

Everything @ this school is immaculate, well organized and well maintained.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 04:54:47 PM »
We noticed some differently-painted Ducks, this week.  Some camoulflaged or brightly camo-patterned, others that looked authentically military, all part of the Ride-the-Ducks fleet.  The same white ones were also being used, but the logo signage on the sides fading.  I wonder if the new tactic is to make them all appear different; it certainly captured our attention every time a different one drove by.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2014, 06:49:17 PM »
I belive Pete's son now owns and operates Ride the Ducks. Am not sure if it is completely separate from Herschend Family Entertainment or now a branch of the tree. I think he purchased the chain a year or so ago, so perhaps the changes are part of an upgrade of the brand.

---I looked at the company Website, and yes, it became an independent company in 2012. It was purchased and owned by Herschend Family entertainment 2004-2012.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 06:54:22 PM by Junior, too! »
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"