Poll

How would you like to see the Geyser Gulch area re-themed?

Rube Dugan's Magic of Flight
15 (25.4%)
Fire Station
6 (10.2%)
Fireworks Factory
24 (40.7%)
Other
6 (10.2%)
Leave it alone
8 (13.6%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Author Topic: SDC's 2014 Projects and Changes  (Read 104246 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2014 Project
« Reply #135 on: September 01, 2013, 04:30:53 PM »
Thanks Swoosh! Looking forward to the things to come in '14 and '15.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 07, 2013, 10:49:09 AM »
The crickets are deafening over here. ??? Any new rumblings around '14 or '15 development(s) at all?

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 07, 2013, 01:46:14 PM »
I did a walk around GG, looked in the trees where WB used to be.. no sign of anything yet?

Maybe after nov. and OTC starts.. ??? ??? ???

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #138 on: October 07, 2013, 11:49:05 PM »
Makes me wonder if the developments, or renovations will finally include the Waterboggan structure. Perhaps, it simply cost more money to tear it down, than to simply keep it there.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #139 on: October 08, 2013, 04:36:28 PM »
Unless something has changed, the WB tower is staying. I would imagine it would get incorporated into the rollercoaster design much like a couple of the towers are being used on Firecracker Express at DW from the rope course
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 08, 2013, 06:19:12 PM »
Unless something has changed, the WB tower is staying. I would imagine it would get incorporated into the rollercoaster design much like a couple of the towers are being used on Firecracker Express at DW from the rope course

Honest question here, it seems like the GG area  is getting redone period, would a modest priced coaster be part of that ride package that was pitched with the shot tower and flats or would the coaster follow in fairly fast fashion?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #141 on: October 08, 2013, 08:51:18 PM »
Keep in mind that concepts are just that... concepts
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 09, 2013, 04:14:10 PM »
A can sure see a Bottlerocket Express fitting in the area of the old waterboggin.

Dolly's new ride

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeAuBQhiZXo

Interesting that fireworks and Fire Dept is themed together, that's two of concepts of the recent survey. So, I think they are going to go with the Rube Dugan's Flight theme as to not be copycat-ish. And since we have a launch coaster, let us get a drop track element. A two story load area, You go to the second floor  in reverse, come to a sudden stop in a dark area and when the train on the first floor leaves the que, then you drop down and and go through a brief bunny hill or something and enter the load/unload area. Give SDC back it's missing backwards cars on Thunderation and gives it something still fairly unique with the only other drop track in the states being at Williamsburg.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 04:20:21 PM by chittlins »

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #143 on: October 09, 2013, 06:28:54 PM »
Didn't I suggest the combination fireworks/firefighter theme?  It appears someone read my post and slapped together an animation and a new ride announcement.  I am impressed they were able to do so in such a short time.  ;)

The ride looks much bigger than anything planned for the GG area, though.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 09, 2013, 08:25:46 PM »
I am not all that excited about the new coaster at Dollywood.  It is not geared toward me but it looks like a small step up from the coaster in the G. E.  Defiantly inferior to Thunderation.  The backwards gimmick doesn't do much for me.  I have been on that kind of thing at Disney and its neat the first time but wears off quick.  I would think that Dollywood would really benefit from a good Mine train coaster.  I look forward to SDC pulling something more out of there hat that this.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #145 on: October 10, 2013, 12:30:45 AM »
DW's new coaster looks amazing. I really like the integration of solid coaster design with interesting and immersive thematics. I think it shows a solid effort to deliver a good all-around experience, which is really what I'm always looking for from HFEC. As long as they think outside the box and go beyond plopping down cookie-cutter rides I'll be at least mostly happy.

As far as SDC goes for 2014-2015, I thought I had read that the park came out and basically confirmed that this will be a maintenance year with a new festival, and in 2015 they'll move forward with the GG refurb. I think the GG refurb will be fairly similar to what we've seen in the concepts. The theme won't be exactly the same as what we've seen, but the general idea of adding a few family-sized rides and expanding the area is going to pull through. They very well could use the same firefighter/fireworks theme from DW.

I don't think we'll see a family coaster yet though, but with the probable success for Firechaser I'm sure we'll get something similar soon. It seems like it makes more sense to hold off and let it be it's own banner attraction for a season, otherwise they wouldn't get as much bang-for-their-buck from the other new attractions.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 10, 2013, 02:40:06 PM »
The new DW coaster featured in the animation doesn't look insanely thrilling, but it does look like a very fun and suitable offering most of the family could enjoy together. That, and the fact that it looks to be rather gratuitous with respect to ride duration, are qualities no current SDC coaster comes close to offering. In my humble opinion, something equal to or better than this would be a very welcome addition to our park.

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 10, 2013, 04:48:18 PM »
It might not thrill most of you but I like the looks of that coaster.  I could ride it with my kids and not end up bent over a trashcan after the ride.  Lol!  I can't even handle that straight drop on thunderation.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 11, 2013, 01:32:00 PM »
Getting to be that time of year when HFEC and SCD begin sharing preliminary information about what to anticipate in the coming season. Anyone heard if any 2014 (or beyond) announcements are anticipated this month?

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 11, 2013, 01:41:14 PM »
have not heard anything official yet.. was hoping hints/clues/info in the time....... NOPE!!  that didn't happen..... And nothing yet on the website about "big announcement"////....   we'll see.