Poll

How would you like to see the Geyser Gulch area re-themed?

Rube Dugan's Magic of Flight
15 (25.4%)
Fire Station
6 (10.2%)
Fireworks Factory
24 (40.7%)
Other
6 (10.2%)
Leave it alone
8 (13.6%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Author Topic: SDC's 2014 Projects and Changes  (Read 103640 times)

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2014 Project
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2013, 02:07:07 PM »
^^^ That looks pretty cool!

The big one is a redo of an older flume at Djurs Summerland, It actually has three drops. There's plenty of room on AP to add another drop, most newer ones do. Dudley Do Right at Universal is off the chain for a flume ride. One tunnel of AP is actually where a service road goes over it from looking at it on Google earth.

Dudley:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a3DUeTTFy0

Djurs even has buffalo themed bumper cars, note the detail of the floor to be made to look like wood planks

« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 02:12:29 PM by chittlins »

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2013, 03:14:36 AM »
I don't understand why so many people are clamering to see FITH and FM overhauled. There are some improvements that could be made for sure, but if they were to completely overhaul those attractions I'm sure they would lose a lot of their old charm and imagination.

I don't think any of the old fans have called for reinventing those rides. Runner1960 already had a great comment, but here's mine:

FITH and FM don't need a re-do, they need an un-do of the changes that took them away from the original story.

For FM, that means no guns, a minor update to the audio, and digitizing the projected faces to make them more reliable. Bring back the rock slide. Restore it to a ride of awe and suspense, not a float-along video game. How many riding now even know there are canaries, or what they mean?

I know FITH had a refresh just a few years back. How much would it cost to bring back the original burning bridge segment? Pennies, compared to even the feasibility study on a new ride. IIRC, that was taken out to increase throughput, something that isn't an issue in the days of multiple new coasters. Us old-timers waited two hours in line to ride FITH when it was the only coaster, but we had lots of citizens entertaining us and great cemetery theming to help pass the time. :)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2013, 06:26:26 AM »
KB, Canaries....????   REally??  I know, I know!!!!!............  not telling though..

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2013, 07:35:42 AM »
Now i could do the bumper cars because i have always enjoyed them, ( because i am a auto racing fan. :D ) unless they were just for kids. Great themed idea!
Live life like it's the last day!

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2013, 09:39:38 AM »
Now i could do the bumper cars because i have always enjoyed them, ( because i am a auto racing fan. :D ) unless they were just for kids. Great themed idea!

With a farm building theme change the buffalo theme to bulls and place it in Wilson's Farm area somehow.

busymom4kc

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
New survey received in email
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2013, 05:36:20 PM »
We received an email over the weekend regarding plans for GEYSER GULCH:

I am giving the choices without any details. If it is ok to post the details please let me know and I will.

Choice 1: Firefighters
Choice 2: Aviation including balloons (wink ;) wink ;) does that bring anything to mind?)
Choice 3: A Fireworks Factory (Our personal favorite!)  ;D

The memories made at Silver Dollar City last a lifetime.
Pass them on to the ones you love!
In the fall the leaves turn red and gold; that must mean God is a CHIEFS fan.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: New survey received in email
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2013, 05:59:01 PM »
A fireworks factory sounds like a shot tower.

Firefighters are already covered in FITH

The balloons on a pier over water might be intriguing.

I've shared details on the survey I got and didn't get in trouble.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2013, 06:19:33 PM »
Tell us!!  If you received it on a survey, it is already publicly known..  OPEN SEASON!!!  tell us!!!,,,LOL

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2013, 06:39:21 PM »
I definitely wanna see the details, plus any pics that may have been included. I've not received the survey (though it's possible I may yet receive one).

A fireworks factory sounds like a shot tower.

A shot tower would fit perfectly where the waterboggan tower currently is, and the waterboggan's footprint goes all the way up to Geyser Gulch...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 06:40:37 PM by Joy »

busymom4kc

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2013, 09:32:13 PM »
Page 1:
http://www.keysurvey.com/User/85/85546/media/34/34347.jpg

How much do you like this idea for a new attraction at Silver Dollar City?
   I love it
   I like it
   It's okay
   I don't care for it
   I don't like it at all

If Silver Dollar City built this new attraction, how likely would you be to ask your parents to visit?
   Definitely would
   Probably would
   Neutral
   Probably would not
   Definitely would not

busymom4kc

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2013, 09:40:25 PM »
Sorry for the teaser. But frankly my meds are kicking in and I cannot concentrate enough to get this stuff posted. PROMISE it will be up in the morning. Was able to pull the pictures up so be ready folks!!  ;D

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2013, 10:00:02 PM »
Well, had the drop tower pegged and it sounds like one down 76 just a little bit. Wish one of the spinning ride was a custom spinning wild mouse. Kinda like that, lots of stuff packed in a relatively small area that keeps some of the play aspect. a Small little fireworks show over Lake Silver at nite would really get me interested.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 10:37:33 PM by chittlins »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2013, 11:22:47 PM »
I went ahead and merged this with the current project thread for easier tracking of the discussion.

Sounds like they want to do another ride package, and probably from Zamperla. That's nice and all, but it sure will creep the amusement park feel into whatever was left of the charm of the riverfront unless they really theme it and hide the rides better than they have recently. A "fireworks factory" theme would be the final dagger in the heart of any credibility the original SDC theme had left. Usually these concept pitches don't really reflect the actual final details concept that the park has in mind, and I'm sure the theme would change quite a bit to fit the park better, but it sure does smell like something a suit at corporate who has never visited the park would think up. I guess there's no reason to be too harsh at this stage though, all this really tells us is that they are evaluating the demand for a new set of family rides. I guess that's what they have to inevitably do to stay competitive at this point anyway...

I don't know what to think about this, but I'm hoping they do as good of a job as they have with the last few additions and don't totally jump the shark with this next addition if this is the type of thing they're going to do. I think a major renovation of an area of the park like this could really impact the atmosphere of the entire park, and if they just fill it with rides like GE it won't be for the better.

If they do it well, I'll be happy to see a few more rides integrate into the park to keep the GP happy and ease the lines a bit. I've said for years now that I wouldn't mind seeing CC's shot tower make it into the park if it's themed well enough.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2013, 11:38:00 PM »
Geyser Gulch really isn't charming now, so not sure what you are getting at Shave.  This is a remake of GG.  Some of the buildings would stay while others leave.  Let's not kid ourselves,  GG has not been the same every since Splash Harbor left. 

As far as "concepts" go - they have been pretty accurate with the past few ones.  River Blast looks a lot like the concept as did Half Dollar Holler and a lot of Outlaw Run.  I guess we'll see.
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2013, 11:39:07 PM »
Are we sure this is a 2014 project? is it the 2015? or later?