Author Topic: Compton Ridge auction  (Read 13605 times)

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
Re: Compton Ridge auction
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2013, 05:52:15 PM »
It wasn't a resort, it was a campground with a motel and second campground up the road. And it's straight across the highway from the Wilderness, that SDC already owns and operates. A gondola would have to cross their campground and another highway to get to this one. I have wondered why they haven't cut in a road from Indian Point to the back of the Wilderness. I'm pretty certain they own all the adjoining property. I guess they figure it's cheaper just to keep running the shuttles.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2013, 05:54:10 PM »
I was a seasonal camper at Compton Ridge.  I received a Certified Letter on Friday, November 28.  Had to be out by Sunday, December 1.  The short notice over the holiday weekend was awful.  In addition to the auction this Thursday, the bank takes possession of the property on Friday.  The property had been on the market for several years.  SDC expressed some interest but it didn't pan out.  Extremely sad.

I did not know it had been on the market. I guess business was not as good as I had thought.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2013, 08:23:56 PM »
Larson, I know how you feel about a family favorite going down the drain.  We stayed at Vickery Resort on the lake for years!  In fact, we spent part of our honeymoon there.  A few years ago, they told us that unless we bought a condo, we couldn't stay the following year.  A big ugly box condo now sits on location. 

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2013, 07:16:01 PM »
Got this email yesterday:

COMPTON RIDGE CAMPGROUND
5040 STATE HIGHWAY 265
BRANSON, MO 65616
Phone: 417-338-2911

4 Dec 2013

After 5 years of fighting the good fight in Branson, the Limited Partnership that owns the property at Compton Ridge Campground and Lodge has decided to close. Robert and Sandy Speight owned the operating company that leased the property from the Partnership. When the decision was made at the end of October by the Partnership, we looked high and low for a different outcome. This proved to be futile. So, we heavy hearts, Compton Ridge Campground and Lodge will close for good December 1st. All reservations for 2014 are canceled. Refund checks will be processed over the next month with the hope to have everything out by January First. There are numerous good parks in the Branson area that will appreciate your business. We appreciate your support an d wish you happy camping in the future.

Robert & Sandy Speight

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2014, 04:32:57 PM »
Compton Ridge has reopened under Ocean Canyon Properties. There was much speculation about turning the campground into a timeshare, and I'm still not positive what their plans are, however I did see they linked to one of my posts here on their facebook page discussing the Sims family who were the original owners and how they intend to follow in that tradition. Fingers crossed.

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2014, 04:35:12 PM »
Compton Ridge has reopened under Ocean Canyon Properties. There was much speculation about turning the campground into a timeshare, and I'm still not positive what their plans are, however I did see they linked to one of my posts here on their facebook page discussing the Sims family who were the original owners and how they intend to follow in that tradition. Fingers crossed.

We are up to the challenge. Our friends and business associates in Branson called us when the campground became available. They told us about the Sims family and how they built this campground into a highly respected business in the community. As you can see from this post, we have done some research and would love to speak with campers that knew the Sims. We understand some of the family members are still in the area and we hope they stop by to say hello. We are a very community oriented company with good christian values and hope to continue some of there traditions that may have been lost in the interim ownership between us and the Sims. Also please pass on our new Facebook page along to our friends as the last owner will not us use the page that they created.

We plan to continue the great family camping tradition that the Sims family started at Compton Ridge so many years ago. We salute the Sims! They created a beautiful campground and we are proud to be the new owners and caretakers. There is some historical discussion of the Sims and some old photo of Compton Ridge Campground - Ocean Canyon Properties here:
http://sdcfans.com/forums/index.php?topic=1632.0
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 04:36:04 PM by thelarsonsix »

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2014, 08:16:38 AM »
Big thumbs up. I'd like to see more small town charm that made Branson what it was. All the timeshares and condos have really changed the landscape in the last 30 years, and I don't necessarily think that is a good thing.

Witention

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2014, 08:04:59 AM »
Nothing in the sale bill mentions real estate, but, how 'bout calling the auctioneer?

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2014, 12:58:30 PM »
they did not sell any real estate at the auction.....
 but they did sell everything that wasn't bolted down!! 

AND a few things that were bolted down.......

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2014, 07:27:27 PM »
they did not sell any real estate at the auction.....
 but they did sell everything that wasn't bolted down!! 

AND a few things that were bolted down.......

They were going to. I'm not entirely sure now that they did. The day the auction was scheduled was a snowstorm. I've looked at some of the pics on their new website, and drove by there yesterday and I saw a lot of things that I thought would be missing. I suppose the new owners could have bought it all at the auction, who knows.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 07:28:48 PM by thelarsonsix »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2014, 03:38:34 PM »
I was at Billy Gails for breakfast sunday and noticed cars in fron of the 2 Compton ridge motel buildings..... checked my phone and had a wifi signal from there also.... SOOOO  apparently they are open again....  same signage...