Author Topic: 2014 Trip Reviews  (Read 61937 times)

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
Re: 2014 Trip Reviews
« Reply #135 on: October 18, 2014, 09:12:18 PM »
Well, my brother never made it because he didnt have enough funds. BUT, the step-daughter & i went today-Oct. 18th from opening to about 2:30 in the afternoon. Everything went well, met folks from Nebraska, Oklahoma, & Columbia Missouri.
Met Duelist, his wife, & daughter ( celebrating her B'day ) at the front gate, he gave us a coupon for 2 people for $40.00 a piece. Thank You Duelist! He was a real nice guy, first person i have met from this site.

First off, the one thing i like that they are doing while you wait in line is to not let the lines get all stacked up. They stop you at certain points, so guests are not all jammed up in the que lines. Seems to make for a shorter wait. It did not get real busy till about 11:30am.
Watched a 6 year old kid named Wyatt doing some blacksmithing, he has been doing it since he was 3!!

Here we go.... Went to Outlaw Run & got on within 4 rotations, had 2 trains going. We rode in front. It was only my second time on this coaster, the front is the best!! Step-daughter hadnt riden a coaster in 7 years, what a ride for her first one in 7 years. She FREAKED OUT!! All i could here was screams & OMG's.

Went to Powderkeg next but it was shut down, so we rode FITH. As always, it was fun & nostalgicly pleasant. Went back to Outlaw Run & was about 10 minutes away from getting on & they stopped for maintenance checks. We waited about another 10 minutes while they told jokes over the speakers, & went on. So then we cruised over to Thunderation, that is always a fun ride. Went to the Flooded Mine & got right on, took a few pictures inside. Ya just gotta  love the ol' rides.

About 11:30, got something to eat. Watched the lil' kid Wyatt make a S shaped piece of metal & we bought that piece, he also made a very small leaf. The S shapes were only a dollar, but we gave him $3.00.

Rode FITH 1 more time. Went to Powderkeg & it was not to busy, so we rode. Made me a lil' dizzy but i still love that take-off!! Bought a few souveniers on the way out & got the heck out'a there & in the car at 2:30pm. It was getting pretty busy by then.

Had a blast, man! I am gunna try & put a lil' picture video together & get it on YouTube. I will post it when its done.

SDC is a special place for all who go. Little do we all know what is going on in other peoples lives. To know that thousands of people can go to 1 place & have so much fun is what makes it so special to me. There is no other amusement park like it, to me. Enjoy yourselves, ya all!!!!
Live life like it's the last day!

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #136 on: October 18, 2014, 09:24:22 PM »
First off, the one thing i like that they are doing while you wait in line is to not let the lines get all stacked up. They stop you at certain points, so guests are not all jammed up in the que lines. Seems to make for a shorter wait.

I'm curious about this.  What are they doing, and how are they doing it?  How does it seem shorter?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 18, 2014, 10:25:55 PM »
Like FITH, they stop you at the building & only let 3-4 sets of riders in the numbered lines, you are not all stacked up IN the building.

Powderkeg they stopped you at the top of the stairs that go over the top of the coaster, & its the same, only about 3-4 sets of riders standing in the numbered lines.

Outlaw Run they stopped you at the numbered lines but did not let you go. Just 3-4 sets of riders in there too. I guess so it would not get all crowded & stacked up.

All lines were just barely out the buildings to the major roller coasters. All the other rides we did not have a problem. I liked it because its nice to have ya'r 3 feet of personal space. Maybe i'm weird, but it just seemed faster to me, i dont know why. Maybe if people see what they think is a long line, they move on to another ride. I dunno....  ???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B1rS6LGY3Y -- Heres my lil' video, Enjoy!!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 10:27:51 PM by How-doFolks »
Live life like it's the last day!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #138 on: October 19, 2014, 03:40:29 PM »
WOF operates the same way now, keeping the number of people actually in the station to a minimum. I'm not sure what has led them to do this, but it seems like it's become either an industry standard or a Missouri regulation. Missouri passes a lot of weird ride regulations, so it wouldn't surprise me if it's just another one of those MO things. Maybe it helps capacity though, since there would be less issues with people constantly trying to split up big parties to all be on the same trains.

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 19, 2014, 06:30:21 PM »
We went on Wednesday and Thursday of this week, and there wasn't anyone assigning spots, except for FITH. During the this year I've been to Outlaw Run and have had the attendant and not had the attendant, so it might be more of a capacity issue than anything. Disney has been doing that assigned seating for years, so I bet it does go faster.

For example, on Wednesday the PK the station was full, but several times the train was sent out with empty seats (a lot of single riders or groups of three)....then once they sent out a full empty row because groups wanted to ride together. So I could see how the assignment would actually make the lines move better.

As for our trip, on Wednesday the park was dead. At 4:00pm you could marathon Outlaw Run, the station was completely empty....same with WF. PK had a small wait (10 min), but they only had one train going. The stores were empty, no lines anywhere. Paid parking was even 1/2 price (I'd never seen that). The park was clean, and the toy shop was 50% off pretty much everything in the store (So added a few stuffed animals to my daughter's collection).

Thursday was a different animal. The park was busy by 11:00 and the lines were only getting longer. The lines for the food were blocking pathways, and I developed a stomach virus the night before so I was ready to get to the hotel by 3:00 that day. Thank goodness for the kids they rode so many rides the day before they were happy and ready to head out too. I did pick up some great deals on some Halloween and Autumn décor (one of the main reasons I love going to SDC). They were also putting the Christmas lights on the Ice Cream Parlor....I didn't think they would do this while guest were in the park, but they had about 8 people on ladders and hanging lights around.

We stayed at Deer Run right next to the park (it was cheap and close) and on Friday we left for Showboat around 10:30 and Parking lot stop 6 was almost full and some cars were going to stop 5. While at Showboat I heard the staff there say that SDC was getting slammed...which I could believe just looking at the line of cars trying to get to the park and the number of people already there.

Showboat was a good deal with the 1/2 price SDC Season Pass tickets. It was my first time ever going and I enjoyed it, but it wasn't what I expected. My son is in show choir and I really think their show was better than the show that was put on by the Showboat.......but the talent on the boat is great, it's just not what I expected as a "show". Here is a link to the show choir show if you have a few minutes to spare http://youtu.be/rE6fu8Ge-Ys

We had a great three days, did SDC two days, Showboat, the outlets, landing, the track, Grand Shops, and ate at Old Chicago's and Mel's. Will head back sometime in December and then count down the days until spring break 2015.

Jay

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 23, 2014, 12:35:17 PM »
Like FITH, they stop you at the building & only let 3-4 sets of riders in the numbered lines, you are not all stacked up IN the building.

Powderkeg they stopped you at the top of the stairs that go over the top of the coaster, & its the same, only about 3-4 sets of riders standing in the numbered lines.

Outlaw Run they stopped you at the numbered lines but did not let you go. Just 3-4 sets of riders in there too. I guess so it would not get all crowded & stacked up.

All lines were just barely out the buildings to the major roller coasters. All the other rides we did not have a problem. I liked it because its nice to have ya'r 3 feet of personal space. Maybe i'm weird, but it just seemed faster to me, i dont know why. Maybe if people see what they think is a long line, they move on to another ride. I dunno....  ???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B1rS6LGY3Y -- Heres my lil' video, Enjoy!!

On Sunday at Outlaw Run they were only letting one train worth of people into the stalls.  There were some upset folks in line, wanting to sit in specific seats.
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 23, 2014, 05:28:11 PM »
^^^^^^^ At least the lines were short for OR.  I didn't wait more than 10 minutes either day last Saturday or Sunday to ride!  The Giant Swing on Saturday had a line 35 minutes plus.
I'm Your Huckleberry

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 23, 2014, 06:41:28 PM »
how many of you were able to meet up with each other? sounded like there were several SDCfans there.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 23, 2014, 09:54:39 PM »
We had the pleasure of meeting How-Do and his stepdaughter and the always delightful Pallalin and his family.  Good people
I'm Your Huckleberry

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 02, 2014, 06:34:08 AM »
For the first time in my 31 years, we made opening day for otc!  It was beautiful.  There are tons of orange lights this year.  I don't remember that from years past.  We parked at stop 6 and got right on a bus.  We got off the bus at 6:24 and managed to make it to the square just in time for the tree lighting.  Next up was the pickers's show.  They had it in the cabin and it was certainly packed.  It's a very funny show this year. We took a walk all the way around the park.  So pretty!  As we did not bring the kids with us, we didn't ride any rides.

The crowds were so light!  We never waited in line at a store.  By the time we got to the bottom of the hill, there was no one.  Even going up the hill on the way out we hardly saw anyone.  It was great to be at the park and not have to worry about crowds and little kids everywhere! 

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 02, 2014, 09:08:28 AM »
To get you in the mood for the Christmas fun at SDC, I posted some photos from last year...check them out.  https://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #146 on: November 10, 2014, 11:06:21 PM »
I don't think anyone else has mentioned seeing the new parade yet. It's nice, but for those without kids you might not even notice most of the changes.

I'll be level here: I doubt many here who pay attention to such things will be terribly impressed with it compared with the old version. It's maybe slightly larger than the old parade, with similar but different floats that are lit with very bright LEDs. The old catchy "Gifts of Christmas" song written especially for the parade is gone, replaced with standard Christmas and Rudolph-related music. The new Rudolph characters are nice, but of course they put Rudolph in a very 20th century-looking car when they could have just as easily made it into a carriage or something that actually fit the park, but whatever.
The only part I actually really had an opinion on was the last float. Where there once was an angel and soft Christmas hymns there is now a large plastic thing that plays an odd mish-mash of Christmas hymn choruses. It didn't turn out the way they expected I guess. I hope they have the old one backstage somewhere.

I mean, I really like the Rudolph IP. The old movie hits the same nostalgic tones that a Christmas trip to SDC does for me, but it's hard to improve upon an SDC original production.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #147 on: November 10, 2014, 11:44:49 PM »
^^^^^^^ At least the lines were short for OR.  I didn't wait more than 10 minutes either day last Saturday or Sunday to ride!  The Giant Swing on Saturday had a line 35 minutes plus.

Lines / wait times should be considerably shorter now that Kathy is no longer lead at Outlaw Run.  I'm curious to see if PPH is affected at the train now since she was moved over there.  I'm willing to bet it will be.  She just doesn't get in a hurry to do anything. 
SWOOSH

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 11, 2014, 12:11:13 AM »
On Friday the 7th I had arraigned for rooms at the Classic and also a early release from work.  All went as planned and we were checked in, dog left in the room and on the way to the city at 4 pm.  When we arrived I noted that the preferred parking was fairly full so I expected a large crowd in the park but as we walked up to the gate we passed many people leaving.  I was surprised as they hadn't lite the tree yet .....seemed like an odd time to leave especially with the warm weather but....
We got in the park and Tracy Heaston was playing in the gazebo, it seems this year that if the tree isn't going that Tracy or someone else was entertaining so the square never went " dead'.  I thought this was a nice touch and made it seem very active.  We made our way down to Outlaw Run and I was able to ride in the front row 3 times without a wait, amazingly sparse.  We made our way back out and stopped at the pizza place and my mate asked if I wanted a slice of pizza.  We walked in and realized that you either bought a whole pie and waited for them to make it or you skipped it, no by the slice pie.  I was dumbfounded with this oversight both in service and in $.  I have a restaurant background and if you make 2 kinds of pizza at all times and charge 3.95 a slice with 6 slices to a pie as opposed to a pie that cost 11.00 .....well do the math.  The park has a lower food cost and they are bringing in more money per pie.  You can do this with 2 varieties and get away with it.  I was not willing to wait for the pizza so off we went to the FITH and watched the parade.  I really did enjoy the Rudolf characters even if Rudolph himself didn't look 100% on to me the others looked great and the parade was a nice throw back to childhood in or out of theme they were able to get away with it and I really enjoyed it.  My only downer was that you couldn't get your pictures with Rudolf or the Abominable snowman unless you were there 12-2:30 Sat or Sun.  I didn't understand this.  I would have actually bought a picture had they let you get the snowman shot.  I think this is an iconic character to my generation.  We rode PK, did some shopping and watched the tree a little. I thoroughly enjoyed the park and the parade but I noticed that the lights were not a knock out this year.  To be fair maybe I have seen it too many times but they seemed to have red and gold/orange on everything except for the blue or white LED oak trees with icicles. Even the Christmas trees were mostly red or orange solid colors with small italiam lights.  There were a few blue trees and a few green but not really money mixed lights this year.  I thought it lost some of its festiveness. I noted very little in the way of different lights and not much artistic use of color.  It seems like they used to put more into in the past when decorating.  My guests said " Maybe they just haven't finished yet"   I am afraid they had, but possibly the expense of the LED lights was holding other stuff back.  I also think its time for the tree to get an upgrade.  Maybe an idea is too move this tree to another park and upgrade the SDC tree, it's time.  Its the same old thing and needs some refreshing.  All in all a great trip with a light crowd and some great deals at the toy store being 50% off.
Night 2 we were lucky enough to see Wynonna Judd and I cant recommend her enough.  It wasn't the twangy Judds but more the bluesy rocky Wynonna with attitude and everyone was blown away. A fantastic show about joy praise and fun.  There is not a better deal in town for the money.  If she comes back I urge you to go.  All in all a great weekend in Branson.  I look forward to another trip back this year for another apple dumpling and also a cheese stick from the bakery.  I have recently discovered these heart attacks on bread that I love almost as much as the dumplings.  
Any the firestation.....what a change, I will not throw the  Gulch under the bus, it brought too many young ones joy.  I do think the station near the water looks impressive in size.  I look forward to it being done right.  I hope they pull through with it.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 11, 2014, 02:59:58 AM »
MH, sounds like a good visit..  I will be there this sunday (weather permitting), be interesting to see the lights.

You are right about the tree, it has served well for many many years and a new one is something to consider..  But I think if they just upgraded the music, and light patterns that would make a HUGE difference..

You never did say if you figured out why all the people were leaving early? ides? on that.