Author Topic: Grander than the Magic Kingdom? Only in Texas! We'll see.  (Read 7864 times)

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
Grander than the Magic Kingdom? Only in Texas! We'll see.
« on: July 17, 2014, 07:53:13 PM »
From Orlando Attractions magazine.

http://attractionsmagazine.com/exclusive-worlds-largest-theme-park-planned-texas/

Exclusive: New global-destination theme park and resort under development for TexasBy Matt Roseboom on July 17, 2014 | in Resorts, Theme Parks, Travel By Simon & Susan Veness They call themselves DreamVision, and they dream big – very big – like bigger than the Magic Kingdom and Epcot combined big. And the team behind the vision is ready to start putting some serious flesh on a project that has only been hinted at previously. The DreamVision Company was started 17 years ago in Orlando by Rick Silanskas and joined in 2009 by Disney Legend and former Executive Vice President and Executive Producer for Walt Disney Entertainment Ron Logan. Together, the duo have set the ball rolling on a massive undertaking of film, theater and – most importantly – theme park development, that aims to redefine the family entertainment genre with the essence of Walt Disney himself. It is an immensely ambitious vision, too, as plans call for a massive $4 billion theme park in North Texas with the kind of detail we usually only see in the very best that Disney and Universal have to offer. But Silanskas and Logan insist it will actually go beyond the current scope of the world’s grandest theme park experiences, as well as turning the clock back to the typical family values espoused by Walt when he first created Disneyland in 1955. Logan in particular is steeped in the traditions of the Disney ethos and wants to be instrumental in re-inventing the emotional appeal of yesteryear but with the technology of tomorrow, hence the DreamScape park intends to be the biggest and boldest theme park to date. Silanskas, himself a highly acclaimed producer and composer, believes the project will be “the essence of what Walt would do. From the time I was seven or eight years old, I would watch everything that he was doing and what was coming. I was fascinated by what he created and the way he presented it. I am humbled by Walt. He is truly a great inspiration.” Now, with Logan assembling a heavyweight team of experienced park designers and artists from among his own generation of creative talent, they are putting the final touches to the plans for DreamVision Mountain, DreamScape, a 10,000-acre development that will encompass the main theme park, hotels, retail and nightlife. While much remains to be confirmed, we can reveal that the park will have themed lands featuring elements of both the East and West Coast of America. An iconic central mountain attraction will be on a truly vast scale. DreamVision is already in the process of setting up animation and motion picture production studios studios in North Texas and Utah, and their highly advanced but classically-styled CGI short features “Hooked” and “Unsung Hero” have already gained critical acclaim. It all points to a movie company in the innovative style of Pixar Animation Studios, but with a separate theme park division and their own theatrical production company. We sat down with Rick and Ron recently to learn the full story of their inspirational drive to create DreamVision, and especially DreamVision Mountain, DreamScape, and we will have much more to share with readers in the Fall edition of Attractions Magazine, available in mid-September.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 07:54:37 PM by chittlins »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: Grander than the Magic Kingdom? Only in Texas! We'll see.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 09:16:17 PM »
Sure... just like that Oz theme park in KCK and numerous other projects
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 09:45:26 PM »
Sure... just like that Oz theme park in KCK and numerous other projects

I will say that Dallas and Houston are growing at a clip of 100,000 a year. Texas is getting huge. If any other place in the country could pull that off, it would be that state and those areas. San Antonio flies under the radar for much of the nation.  I'm headed to Galveston on Sunday for a few, guess I'm craving actual July like weather. The Houston City Pass is a darn good deal.

http://www.citypass.com/houston?creative=48663270749&adpos=1t1&mv_source=rkg&device=c&network=g&matchtype=e&gclid=CLrgy9brzb8CFQto7AodFT4AIw

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 10:52:45 PM »
Groan...

Massie, bigger-than-disney, pie-in-the-sky concept... check.
Vague company name... check.
Lead developers with shaky credentials... check.

I can go on and on. I've been around long enough that I'm now just tired to hear about these "projects". They would be interesting, if they ever actually went anywhere. This is more than likely the first and last we'll hear about it.

Why start out saying that you want to be bigger than the biggest theme park on earth? Why not focus on developing a worthwhile attraction first, then expanding? I'm guessing it's because the people behind these types of concepts have no creativity or focus beyond going "big" and getting lots of money.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 10:54:47 PM by shavethewhales »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 11:59:12 PM »
Did that Texas Grand or whatever it was going to be called there in Houston ever break ground and get started with vertical construction?  We're to the saturation point with parks in America anymore.  If it isn't already built it isn't going to be.  The only thing that is being built and being successful are additional waterparks.
SWOOSH

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 12:08:21 AM »
The difference is that Grand Texas appears to be more of a collection of things than a theme park.  With sporting events, entertainment, restaurants, and some rides, it reads like a conglomeration of attractions.  Maybe that's a better approach, and then they can see what takes off and build from there.  If it goes anywhere to start with, that is.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 07:24:57 AM »
The difference is that Grand Texas appears to be more of a collection of things than a theme park.  With sporting events, entertainment, restaurants, and some rides, it reads like a conglomeration of attractions.  Maybe that's a better approach, and then they can see what takes off and build from there.  If it goes anywhere to start with, that is.

Closed on land earlier this year. Some land clearing has been seen. Supposedly the water park at 40 acres will be built this fall and  along with and indoor sports facility. The rides are supposed to be 2016. Guess we'll see.

Speaking of Oz, the proposed  Adventure Pointe will have a section for Oz. That’s right off I 45 at Texas City going Galveston and right next to the new Tanger outlets. The amount of general development happening down there is astonishing.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 07:29:45 AM by chittlins »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 08:41:33 PM »
Grand Texas is completely different than this, it's a very sensible development that I wish we would see more of.

This reminds me of that developer in Tulsa who wanted to turn Turkey Mountain into a massive theme park with all this random extra stuff on the side. He basically got run out of town.

I've heard these developers have been at this for awhile, they've even been moving around to different cities to pitch it. They just want someone to give them money.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 01:22:06 PM »
Read this while down in Galveston.
 http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2014/07/21/grand-texas-adds-attraction-outlines-construction.html

I absolutely love the lad bar restraints on Iron Shark at the Pleasure Pier, much better than the OTRs on the other  Eurofighters and makes the beyond vertical drop more intense. That’s a very quiet, very compact and very fun ride.