Author Topic: Mysterious/Odd Things AT SDC  (Read 8245 times)

Hatfield McCoy

• McCoy
    • View Profile
Mysterious/Odd Things AT SDC
« on: August 25, 2014, 05:05:21 PM »
I couldn't find a thread to ask this question.  Sorry if there was a better place to ask.

My family and I were in the little circular park near the Powder Keg and I was admiring all of the old equipment/props inside the circle.  It is the little park right next to the old mini water mill in front of the Theater.  I noticed what looked to be a grave with a small marker with no writing on it. 

Is this an old prop?  I know it surely isn't an old grave lurking there.  Anyway just curious.

Thanks!

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: Mysterious/Odd Things AT SDC
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 05:41:19 PM »
Could this be the coin press?  There are many leftovers from the "Land of Lost Crafts" in this area.  During its operation, special SDC coins were stamped by the coin press.  Onlookers could participate in the process and take a coin (I think it was $3.).
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 07:03:46 PM by History Buff »
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 07:59:25 PM »
Miller Frank Capps alleged there could possibly be a haint in Sullivan's Mill. It has been said FITH has a ghost, and Marvel Cave as well. At Shepherd of the Hills Inspiration Point and the theater are said to have ghosts.
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

psychosaw13

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
    • Destination:Deserted
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 06:56:22 PM »
Oh man I love Ghost stories! especially ones at SDC. They should totally do a dark
ride based on "The Haint of Roark mountain"
I ain't got no pants no more! The Dang Baldknobbers stole'em!

Hollwood

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 08:06:17 PM »
Rumor has it that the splash pool of AP was constructed on an Indian Burial Site. When the first boat made the inaugural plunge, all of the glass in the glass shop shattered.

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 08:34:47 PM »
First I ever heard that one! Pretty interesting. That splash pool is part of the float trip, built about 68 or 69. During pre park opening spring rehearsals, the Dugan clan was called over to be human guinea pigs for the plunge boats. They loaded two or three boats with the guys and we went arou b d the loop time and time again as Jack and construction and attractions managers watched how the boats performed. I like AP as much as anyone, but a dozen times or so around in one sitting was a bit much, LOL! I worked at the float trip and AP, and never witnessed any supernatural activity.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 01:18:51 PM »
Oh man I love Ghost stories! especially ones at SDC. They should totally do a dark
ride based on "The Haint of Roark mountain"

That would be cool!

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 07:50:34 PM »
FITH's  Ghost may be the guy that lost his head when it went down the service tunnel.
SDC has always made a great past to remember

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 02:47:11 PM »
I would reccomend taking the ghost tour of downtown Branson for some good folklore  and history. Plus the orbs in photos taken at the cemetery are crazy weird.

PastorDon

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 05:16:30 PM »
Today was the first time I've logged on since returning from our two week trip to Branson last week.  I was excited to see this new thread because I have a question about something I found pretty mysterious at SDC on my most recent trip.  While waiting for my wife near the Pottery Factory I noticed off in the woods between the Pottery Factory and the train tracks a rundown porch.  This was the first time I've noticed the building in nearly 15 years of visiting the City, and I thought perhaps some of the old timers could identify it for me.  Here's the link the photos on my Facebook page.  https://www.facebook.com/ron.burtz/media_set?set=a.10202847937225511.1073741837.1414032064&type=3
In His grip!

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 07:22:38 PM »
Most likely you're seeing the old exits of Riverfront playhouse that were abandoned years ago. They run all the way down to the hot dog stand
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 08:19:12 PM »
Back to the float trip for a moment...fall, '79 I am the early man in a Saturday prior to rope drop. My job was to clean out the trash cans, sweep the dock, and clean boats. I witness an odd sight, a trash can is moving about on it's own! I hear movement from INSIDE the can. A squeeking sound, and claws scratching the sides. I just know there is a skunk inside. So I carefully drag the can across the boats in the channel, then kick it over and run the other direction. A befuddled, but happy chipmonk scurries away to the woods. Honestly, both the critter and I were much relieved! Not a supernatural issue, but a funny story.

Injun Joe

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 12:40:43 PM »
That chipmonk's name wasn't Simon by chance?

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 05:11:48 PM »
I was so afraid he was a skunk, I was not close enough to ask him before he ran into the woods. HA!

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 07:25:25 PM »
Back to the float trip for a moment...fall, '79 I am the early man in a Saturday prior to rope drop. My job was to clean out the trash cans, sweep the dock, and clean boats. I witness an odd sight, a trash can is moving about on it's own! I hear movement from INSIDE the can. A squeeking sound, and claws scratching the sides. I just know there is a skunk inside. So I carefully drag the can across the boats in the channel, then kick it over and run the other direction. A befuddled, but happy chipmonk scurries away to the woods. Honestly, both the critter and I were much relieved! Not a supernatural issue, but a funny story.

That is funny!  And, I was there in the Fall of 79, and there was a skunk on Main Street before rope drop. I think I told this story before, but a crazy lady visitor walked right up to exclaiming "how cute, they even have animals in the park" as hubs and I very carefully backed away with our infant in a stroller!!!!