Author Topic: Thanksgiving  (Read 4550 times)

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Thanksgiving
« on: August 29, 2014, 03:30:34 PM »
What is SDC like on Thanksgiving?  Do they have a special dinner, and if so, is it good? What's the crowd like?
The wife and I are thinking of going to Branson over the holiday weekend and would like to spend a few days at SDC if we do.
Thanks in advance.
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
Re: Thanksgiving
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 04:09:23 PM »
We've been known to spend many Thanksgivings at SDC. Park opens later in the day, but stays open relatively late. The Mill has the best buffet in our opinion. Its the traditional 'holiday' fare. Crowds aren't usually too bad that day...but Friday and Saturday are a different story.

This will be the 1st Christmas, in probally 20 years that I haven't been to SDC. My wife and I are expecting our 1st child (a daughter) November 17th. Having a baby is the only thing that would keep us away from SDC at Christmas! haha. But next year she will be a year old, so we'll be back!!! 
You have a great past just ahead of you.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 04:36:22 PM »
been there several times on Thanksgiving and the crowds are not bad. Without checking the calender I was thinking they opened around 4 PM. Never ate there because we do not like buffets so I cant help much on that.

MandyTG

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 07:43:06 PM »
What time do they start serving Thanksgiving dinner? And is more than one restaurant open?

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 08:12:48 PM »
Geez. I never knew how working 6 days a week--every week--would limit how many times you get to visit SDC.  (sarcasm of course). But really, I am very thankful I have this new RV. I have used it many times this summer, (Saturdays only).

I guess I will not make it to SDC at all this year.  Good news is, I will have a helper next year, so I "should" get to rotate Saturdays/Mondays. Maybe in 2015, I can make it to SDC.

To stay on subject though. We have also spent many Thanksgivings at SDC. Actually it has become a tradition. We have spent the last 17 Thanksgivings at SDC.  I sure do wish we could go this year but, next year is the best hope I have.
Tim
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream
then I am living the dream

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 10:19:33 PM »
Last year was the first year I missed SDC at Thanksgiving in quite a few years.  Doesn't the park open at 4:00, but you can enter Main Street and head over to the buffet at 2:00?  The buffet does have all the traditional dishes.  I wouldn't say it's wonderful, but it's certainly good enough for a buffet.  It's also very crowded.  It seems like Thanksgiving gets more crowded every year, but the day after is REALLY CROWDED!  The first few years we went, we could walk around the park easily in the evening without a crowd, but not so much any longer.  The day after is a nightmare!  I remember one year we couldn't get off Main Street it was so bad, so we just left. 

MandyTG

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 10:23:26 PM »
Thanks everyone! I decided to email SDC directly and got a response the next day.

Mandy~

Thank you for your email and thank you for choosing to spend your Thanksgiving with us! The Mill/Mine/Reunion Hall Buffet restaurants will open on Thanksgiving Day when the turnstiles open.  The turnstiles and square will open at 2:30 and the remainder of the park at 4:00 pm.  All three buffets will open with the traditional Thanksgiving meal to include turkey and all the trimmings.  Sometime between 4:00 and 5:00 the Reunion Hall will change their menu to the Prime Rib.

We look forward to seeing you in November.
Happy Thanksgiving!

I was pleased to get a response. Our plan is to go drive up on Wednesday and be at the park by opening that day at 1 p.m. and then spend Thanksgiving day in the park as well and drive home on Friday and avoid the madness (hopefully). Now I just need to find a place to have breakfast on Thanksgiving morning!

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 09:56:50 AM »
Thanks everyone! I decided to email SDC directly and got a response the next day.

Mandy~

Thank you for your email and thank you for choosing to spend your Thanksgiving with us! The Mill/Mine/Reunion Hall Buffet restaurants will open on Thanksgiving Day when the turnstiles open.  The turnstiles and square will open at 2:30 and the remainder of the park at 4:00 pm.  All three buffets will open with the traditional Thanksgiving meal to include turkey and all the trimmings.  Sometime between 4:00 and 5:00 the Reunion Hall will change their menu to the Prime Rib.

We look forward to seeing you in November.
Happy Thanksgiving!

I was pleased to get a response. Our plan is to go drive up on Wednesday and be at the park by opening that day at 1 p.m. and then spend Thanksgiving day in the park as well and drive home on Friday and avoid the madness (hopefully). Now I just need to find a place to have breakfast on Thanksgiving morning!

You realize you'll be standing around for 1 1/2 hrs. until opening, right?  Not always a bad thing unless you have young children.  Watch the weather and dress appropriately, remembering that it can get very, very cool after the sun goes down even if it was warm during the day.  Have fun! 

MandyTG

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 02:24:03 PM »
We've been at Thanksgiving twice before, just never eaten there. I'm not sure how I will be standing around for an hour and a half? If we eat at 2:30, I figure we'll be in the restaurant over an hour, so get out at 3:30 at the earliest and the park opens at 4. We get there at least 30 minutes before rope drop every time we go.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 02:29:05 PM »
Mandy, 

I think the 1 1/2 hour wait is..... you said you would be there at 1:00... But the turnstiles/gate does not open until 2:30... that's      1 1/2 hours....   

the park opens/drop chains at 4:00...  of course you will be able to walk around the square....

have a great trip!!

MandyTG

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 03:05:16 PM »
Oh, I see the confusion. We will be getting there at 1 p.m. on Wednesday, not Thanksgiving.