Author Topic: The Branson I Remember  (Read 7706 times)

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
The Branson I Remember
« on: September 08, 2014, 05:04:14 PM »
Been a long time since I added photos to my Flickr account. So I added some photos of "lost" Branson attractions of The Branson I Remember. Take a trip down memory lane with me, and see some fairly recent pictures of some of the musicians that were part of the house band at Hee Haw Theater. All are still active in the Branson entertainment community:    http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: The Branson I Remember
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 05:29:08 PM »
junior, I have seen those pics today on another site...  I wondered if that was you posting all the pics lately...  Thye just looked like pice you would have in your "archive".............LOL

Are you initials M.K.?

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 06:41:21 PM »
Yes, that is me. I have been posting dozens of photos on the FB site "you might be from Branson if..."  and have contributed posts to 1branson.com, and sdcfans.com. plus I have the HEE HAW THEATER tribute site on FB.  Anyone in b their 40s, 50s, or 60s will recognise those places from their youth. Thanks for asking, and hope you enjoy.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 07:19:51 PM »
what is your "name" on 1branson...?
 ???

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 09:24:18 PM »
Junior...Have not posted there much or visit the site as many mean mouths post there, and much is smarty pants crybaby behavior. In between mean spirited rants there are some nice and interesting posts.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 06:48:51 PM »
I have noticed that also junior, I have posted a few times and I would guess 1/2 the time there are negative comments.. I think I see chittlins on there also, I don't know what kind of response he gets>?

The site is "maintained" "Monitored" by one of the Tourism companies... and if you post anything that is in conflict with the people they deal with... watch out!!   LOL..  So you know what I do.............................

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 04:55:24 AM »
Yes, if you get to harsh or negative they edit you out. Keep on the sunnyside!

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 05:18:01 PM »
I have added over a dozen photos and old ads for Branson attractions of the 1950s thru 1980s, many of them forever "lost." Hope you enjoy what you see:      http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan

MoOzark

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • I raised the Dizzy Dogs from little pups.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 10:16:03 AM »
Thanks for the memories, Junior. I have lots of fond memories of the float trip and I know for a fact that the ride features didn't always work right—especially when the ride first opened. I've heard stories about people being nearly washed out of the boat when that big spout of water, at the very end, would turn on at the wrong time.

I also love those old postcards of the Ozark hillbilly family. Those photos were produced by an actual family that lived in the Branson area but I can’t recall their name at the moment. And of course the photos of Rube Dugan Diving Bell are wonderful. I’ve always wondered where did the name “Dugan” come from? Is that an actual surname of a family in the area or was it just made up? I also wonder if any pieces of the ride have been preserved. Does Ed Tolts Submersible still exist somewhere? Did any of the diving bells survive? It would be amazing if the ride could be recreated or even if part of it could be displayed at an SDC museum someday.

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 05:48:03 PM »
are they the same folks that are in the Hillbilly Calender i get every year?
Live life like it's the last day!

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 06:57:40 PM »
The Bruce Seaton family did the post cards. Bruce was a clean cut young man when he applied for work at a newspaper office in Stone County about 1959. The editor realized Bruce was a liar, he claimed to have newspaper experience, but did not. The editor asked permission to have a print shop at the new SDC in 1960, and Bruce ran it. Bruce grew a beard and played a character...becoming a genuine manufactured hillbilly for the tourists. Then Shepherd of the Hills opened their theater in 1960, and Bruce got a part, playing Preachin' Bill. His wife got a job in the play, too. Bruce realized by his work in the two places a series of hillbilly postcards and calenders could result in more money...his self produced postcards and related items made big bucks for the family. Bruce died in 1976, but the postcards and calenders are still produced today! His widow remarried and was the longest serving cast member in the play as of last year.
----
Having worked at the float trip I can verify the geyser at the end of the ride sometimes malfunctioned and drenched guests. I am told thru the grapevine a diving bell capsule is in storage, but I have never been able to confirm it. A few odd pieces of the diving bell do exist in private hands, and I won't tell who has what.

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 09:09:28 PM »
wow, cool! Thanks Junior. ;)
Live life like it's the last day!

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 05:40:05 PM »
Added a few more photos here. Check out the Hee Haw photos. I'll post more soon. My Flickr link is above.

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 05:00:48 PM »
Hope you have a few minutes  to check my Flickr site. (Address posted in this thread.) I added about 10 more photos of the Branson I remember. Hope you like them. Add a comment for specific photos and give me some time to check my files. Maybe I can upload something you are looking for.

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2014, 09:03:46 AM »
I have added two sets of photos to my Flickr account. One set is of a September trip to the ruins of Dogpach, another are some shots of last year at SDC at Christmas. Enojy! :)  http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan