Author Topic: flooded mine question  (Read 48358 times)

DaveInTulsa

• View Profile
Re: flooded mine question
« Reply #90 on: September 08, 2010, 11:14:11 AM »
I don't think it's possible to just ignore the guns and get the same experience as before.  My kids like it now.  I guess that's all that matters.

dorsal

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 08, 2010, 11:35:36 AM »
I ride it at least once without using the gun each visit to the park.  It's still hard to "absorb" the atmosphere with all those ricochet sounds.  I also agree that the existing effects are not as good as they used to be.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 08, 2010, 12:22:03 PM »
That's why I say we should all protest the guns on one trip! Enjoy the song, and the dialogue! Just try to get in on a day that is EMPTY, and ride it again and again until you are alone on there.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 08, 2010, 12:22:15 PM »
The ride of today, is not the flooded mine of pre 1990 when it became "The Great Shoot Out at the Flooded Mine". Speaking of similar rides-Pirates of the Caribbean @ WDL. Having only ever been to WD Land, I can only speak of what I saw there. In 1997 it underwent changes from complaints (overweight characters being portrayed negatively, crude, or suggesting remarks by a few pirates) and also in 2006 underwent refurbishments to coencide with the release of the second movie adding Jack Sparrow, and Barbossa along with a few other characters.

At least Flooded Mine, has not received advanced animatronics, or new movie characters and new dialogue. Sure a few things are now overlooked, but I can still ride and see them can't I?

I love the fact that for the most part, the ride is unchanged. Yes there are 2 rooms that are no longer the same, and countless others that have been altered, but it is still there. The inmates received new clothes, and I believe a few were new castings in the past 2-3 yrs. It won't go back to what it was...but I can still enjoy it how it is.

DeweyBald

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 09, 2010, 06:53:08 PM »
My opinion is that SDC needs to concentrate more on the THEME rides.  Rides like the Jim Owen Float Trip, Fire in the Hole, Flooded Mine MADE SDC what it is today.  Granted, a roller coaster here and there doesn't hurt, but no need in turning it into another Six Flags.  Riverblast is a great addition, but they need to spread a little love among the old timers and at least get them back to their original condition.  Its sad to ride FITH and see all the Baldknobbers leaning up against the wall, or being proped up because they can no longer stand up.  Flooded Mine needs a little attention.  Check that, it needs A LOT of attention.  There was another thread about the "Warden" picture that talks to you.  It used to be in a prominent location where you could see it and more importantly you could HEAR it.  He would appear to look at you as you walked in and shout "STAY IN LINE"  and "MOVE ALONG" and it made an impression on me as a kid.  Now, you hardly notice it because they even moved it away from the window and in the corner of the little room.  But it's those little things like that which makes SDC stand out against the other parks.  It's the little things like that they need to give a little TLC.  And when you compare it to bringing in a new roller coaster, it is fairly cheap fixes!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #95 on: September 09, 2010, 07:29:54 PM »
^Where do you see baldknobbers leaned against walls? The ride got an extensive make-over just this past season. Flooded Mine also got an extensive make-over a couple years back. Sometimes you have to realize that things will never go back to being exactly as good as you remember them being, and look for the new experiences. I've been blown away by how many things the park has fixed up over the past two years, and how well they've kept to theme with the new additions.

I really think the targets helped keep the ride relevant. Without them, the ride would have faded to obscurity and probably been taken out. I fail to see how they exactly harm the ride, as they make the ride enjoyable to those who would otherwise be bored. If you don't want to be bothered with shooting, it's easy just to sit back and watch.

DeweyBald

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 09, 2010, 08:57:13 PM »
on one of the scenes on the right side, a baldknobber is simply proped up against a wall.  As far as extensive makeover, I really didn't see that much difference honestly....yeah, they took out the spider thing, but other than that they simply moved the baldknobbers around.  The scenes are pretty much the same, some of the flames in the windows still do not work, all the baldknobbers have on cotton work gloves that makes their fingers look floppy.....details like that.  As far as the Flooded Mine goes, I still want the rock slide back.  That was a cool effect.  The gun portion is a moot point for me.  I can take 'em or leave 'em.  However, you cannot simply not shoot when on the ride because all the ricochet/pings/shot noises.  Yeah, my kids get a kick out of it, and they love the guns, but I rode with them one time just to ride and take it all in....you simply cannot hear the dialogue.  I also noticed how far the timing is off...we were nearly past the section where the saw blade comes at you before it actually came off..  Oh well....I'll always have the memory of the REAL Silver Dollar City!

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #97 on: September 09, 2010, 09:12:10 PM »
Of course the Baldknobbers are leaning against the wall. Wouldn't you get tired of standing in one place all day? ;)

I am just teasing. I agree that there are a lot of older special effects, and gags that we all cherish in our hearts, and we all hate to see them disappear, or rot away in neglect. However, Silver Dollar City is not a snap shot in time. It is a living, and breathing city so to speak, and as such things come, and go over time. Of course we are all a bit sentimental about the classic attractions at Silver Dollar City, and we all want to hold them captive in our minds forever. However, instead of dwelling on how great Silver Dollar City used to be, lets support the fine citizens there, and encourage them to cultivate the park into an ever better Silver Dollar City for the years ahead. I would rather Silver Dollar City grow, and add fresh material instead of trying to keep a broken down forty year old gag chugging a long.

I really think the targets helped keep the ride relevant. Without them, the ride would have faded to obscurity and probably been taken out. I fail to see how they exactly harm the ride, as they make the ride enjoyable to those who would otherwise be bored. If you don't want to be bothered with shooting, it's easy just to sit back and watch.

You echo my own thoughts perfectly! I could not agree more.

pintrader

« Reply #98 on: September 09, 2010, 09:43:01 PM »
I also noticed how far the timing is off...we were nearly past the section where the saw blade comes at you before it actually came off.

I may be wrong but it seems the saw blade comes down with no set timing.  I have noticed while riding that it has come in front of me, at me, and in back of me.  I kind of believe they might even turn this effect on in the morning and it stays running till closing.  In other words no sensors.  Someone that works there or has worked there probably could answer that question.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 11, 2010, 03:51:32 AM »
Well the great thing about the Flooded Mine is that using the guns is completely voluntary. Each person who boards the ride has a choice as to whether they want to shoot at the targets, or if they just want to simply sit back, and enjoy the ride for what it is worth. So for all the purest out there the solution is quite simple; don't use the guns. :)

Oh, I'd be more than happy to do that. Unfortunately, you can't "not use" the sound effects. Even if no one in your boat is shooting, you'll still hear the noise from adjacent scenes.

And of course, that's only half the complaint. The other half is that much of the stuff that used to entertain us before the shootout, is either no longer there, or no longer working.

Here's the difference: before 1990, it was a slow spooky dark ride, with a few scenes where you absorbed everything you could (basic psychology), a few scenes that were amusing, and a couple that were scary. The slow pace added to the atmosphere. Not being constantly engaged, while sloshing slowly along through the dark, let your mind add to the fun.

Since 1990, it's just slow and sloshy and not nearly as intriguing to the mind.

Edit to add: To draw a comparison, it's the difference between a classic Hitchcock thriller, and one of today's over-the-top action flicks. When deprived of normal sensations and only allowed limited input, your mind runs wild with speculation. When overwhelmed with sensation, your mind just shuts down.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 03:57:23 AM by KBCraig »

DeweyBald

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 12, 2010, 12:29:21 PM »
Couldn't have said it any better KBCraig.  I agree 110%

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 18, 2010, 10:36:58 AM »
I was transferring my "Sounds of Silver Dollar City" LP to digital media and came across a clip of the flooded mine song on the record! I had no clue that it was on the B side. It is simply a short clip in between songs, but wow did it brighten my day!

DeweyBald

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 18, 2010, 07:50:25 PM »
Hey rube.....sure would like to get my hands on a copy of that... ;)

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 18, 2010, 08:39:19 PM »
There's a copy of The Sounds of Silver Dollar City on Ebay right now.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 18, 2010, 08:48:18 PM »
3 to be exact! $9.99-12.00...

I dug up my old "Sounds of Silver Dollar City" vinyl that has this song on it!

Finally got to it out to digitize BetaMike!-that post of yours was from Dec 2008!

I would love to post it on a site somewhere DeweyBald, but I don't know what the copyright laws are for a probably 25 year old LP/ Record.

Here are the tracks/ info:

NARRATOR - RICHARD YOUNG.
ONE MORNING IN MAY BY THE CALTON FAMILY BAND. MARSHALL, DAVE BOWEN. MAN WHO BOUGHT MULE, REX BURDETTE. MAN WHO SOLD MULE, DA CALLOWAY. RAINMAKER, REX BURDETTE. ROLL IN MY SWEET BABY ARMS BY THE HORSE CREEK BAND. HISTORY OF HAMMERED DULCIMER, KIM BECKER. RED WING BY THE SWING & TURN JUBILEE. LITTLE WHITE CHURCH BY THE CALTON FAMILY BAND. JESUS JOY OF MAN'S DESIRING BY JOHN CORMIN.

WRECK OF OLD #97 BY THE HORSE CREEK BAND. TAVERN IN THE TOWN BY DA CALLOWAY. WHEN THE SAINTS GO MARCHING IN BY THE SILVER DOLLAR CITY VOLUNTEER FIREMAN'S RAGTIME BAND. MY DIXIE DARLING BY THE SWING & TURN JUBILEE. DOWN YONDER BY THE HORSE CREEK BAND. SQUARE DANCE CALLER - BONNIE ARNOLD.