Author Topic: Coaster Christmas 2014  (Read 8356 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Coaster Christmas 2014
« on: October 05, 2014, 11:08:30 PM »
It's that time of year again! ACE is once again holding the Coaster Christmas event at SDC, but I just noticed that this year it's a month earlier than usual! It will on Nov. 8 and 9 rather than the first weekend of December. Fortunately there's still about a month left to sign up, as registration doesn't close until midnight of Nov. 1.

This year's event sounds like one of the best, with plenty of ERT, VIP seating for It's a Wonderful Life, a construction tour of Fireman's Landing, and a backstage tour of Flooded Mine.

Check out the flier for more info: http://www.aceonline.org/fliers/CoasterChristmas2014.pdf

Looks like I'll finally be able to make it down there this year for the first time. Hope to see a few of you guys there too. You do have to register as a member of ACE to attend, but I think this event + the ace magazines alone are definitely worth it. I believe they also have an associate membership option for only $35 that doesn't include the publications but should get you in for this event.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
Re: Coaster Christmas 2014
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 11:21:23 AM »
Grrr....Nov 7th is the 5K at SDC...I then have to jet over to Jeff CIty Sat Morning for STate HIgh School XC if anyone qualifies, if they do not, I am in...but wont know until the week before on 11/1...boo

Debbadoo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 10:12:48 PM »
New member to the site, looking forward to Coaster Christmas 2014!

magnum200

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 07:29:25 PM »
I signed up for ACE a couple of weeks ago just so my daughter and I could check this out this year.  My wife would come with us, but since she is pregnant and couldn't really take advantage of the ERT, it will just be some good daddy-daughter time doing one of our favorite activities together.....riding coasters at SDC!  Couldn't pass up the chance for FITH with the lights on and a tour of the Flooded Mine!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 07:30:20 PM by magnum200 »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 09:03:32 PM »
The ERT is really only a very very small portion of the event.  The media reports from the different parks always involve a lot of free swag.  Schlitterbahn usually gives all attendees free day passes to their KC park.  Then there are t-shirts and lots of other things.  Your wife would enjoy the VIP seating at Wonderful Life and she could enjoy the walking tours of Fireman's Landing and Flooded Mine.  I have a couple non-riders in my party and they never complain about the ERT as (like I said) it is only a very small portion of the day.
SWOOSH

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 09:37:01 PM »
Officially I will be at the park this weekend for the race Friday night, followed by Coaster Christmas. Looking forward to seeing the park again! Last trip consisted of 11 hours of a film crew, and I only saw the locations on filming, not much else! Cant complain there, but I still miss seeing the parks lesser known areas.

stang

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 03:27:18 PM »
In for coaster Christmas 2014
Looks like the weather will be better this year!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 11:07:22 PM »
Coaster Christmas was very enjoyable. I liked getting to hear from all the regional parks, and the backstage tour of Fireman's Landing was awesome. ERT and getting to see both FiTH and Flooded Mine with the lights on was great as well. It was also really nice to put some faces to names I've known from here and TPR for awhile now.

Here's the photos from Fireman's Landing: http://sdcfans.com/firemans-landing-update-coaster-christmas/

I'll post some other photos and comments about the event tomorrow.

I didn't see that you were going to be there stang, or I would have made a point of trying to find you and introducing myself.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 12:12:50 PM »
While I got to greet every participant, I didn't really get to visit with too many outside my core group.  You'll have to forgive us, we've known each other for a long time and don't get to see each other outside of ACE events all that often.

Off the record we had between 115-125 participants this year making it one of the largest attended CCs yet. 

We're already planning next year's and would live feedback on what you did or did not like. We are also looking for suggestions on what behind the scenes you want to do next year.  The current trending idea is to your the maintenance areas of Wildfire and Powder Keg.  But we are open to ideas. 
SWOOSH

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 05:31:48 PM »
Thanks for the updates and photos.
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 05:46:35 PM »
Those are some great pics.!  thanks...!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2014, 10:33:42 PM »

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 08:52:11 AM »
More great shots...thanks.
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

stang

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2014, 04:37:54 PM »
Had a great time at coaster Christmas but as we were driving home came up with two questions.
1 could flooded mine be filled in and made a 3d ride?(much like the ride at six flags St Louis)
2 Would it have made more sense to put the drop tower where the hilo silos are and moved the silos to firemans landing?(keeping teens and older at tgs olr and the drop tower and the young kids at firemans landing)

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2014, 05:17:00 PM »
Had a great time at coaster Christmas but as we were driving home came up with two questions.
1 could flooded mine be filled in and made a 3d ride?(much like the ride at six flags St Louis)
2 Would it have made more sense to put the drop tower where the hilo silos are and moved the silos to firemans landing?(keeping teens and older at tgs olr and the drop tower and the young kids at firemans landing)

You know some families have kids that have a wide range in age. What they are trying to do is have a little something for everyone. At  the Giant Barn Swing, lines can get long and if a family wants to stay together the teenagers can ride the swing while, Mom or Dad can let 7 year old Jr. do the Silos. I've wished the area had another ride or two that fits in between.