Author Topic: Changes at SDC over the years  (Read 3997 times)

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Changes at SDC over the years
« on: November 26, 2014, 12:24:57 PM »
Thought this might make an interesting topic of coversation. Anybody else remember things differently?

Mountain woodcarver's shop
For as long as I can remember, the Mountain woodcarver's shop was across the street from Thunderation and directly in front of the train station. Christmas in the Hollow and the Woodcarver's shops switched places a couple years ago. So the woodcarver's shop is now in what was once the toy store.

Bears in the Holler
Bears in the Holler was introduced in 2011 (?) when Half Dollar Holler opened up. Before that, the building had housed Becka's weaving. I don't know how long Becka's had been in there. As a kid, it was Mountain Taffy and there was a second Tin type area right beside it.

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
Re: Changes at SDC over the years
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 02:05:15 PM »
Basket House:
The two-story apple butter shop right off the square use to be the Basket House, I believe the Basket House was also located where the Toy Store by GG/FL is now.

Love My Country:
It has both been located across from Echo Hollow and on the square.

Carousel locations:
Carousel Barn,  Square (for only 1 Christmas Season, the 1st one I believe), Front of TSL, Back of TSL, Hiding for a few years, returned to its current location in HDH.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 04:21:50 PM »
For a few years in the 1980s the basket shop took up the entire wagon works restaurant space that previously had been the vineyard restaurant. Before that the basket shop was where they in recent years sold a bunch of John Deere merchandise, next to rhe corkscrew passage over the RR tracks,across from what was Beccas weaving...which was the cut glass shop before that. The old basket shop was the 1st train depot building.
-

"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 04:59:52 PM »
Marvel Cave was once located on the other side of Table Rock Lake.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 08:53:32 PM »
^
;D LOL!!!  ;D

The western store used to be the Butterfield Supply Company located in the building where the watercolor paintings are now next to the corkscrew.  Then the western store became Cowboy Jepps on Main Street next to the General Store and now it's where the Bear shop used to be across from the Train Depot.  Happy Thanksgiving!!!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 02:57:26 PM by Duelist »
I'm Your Huckleberry

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 11:28:19 AM »
Marvel Cave was once located on the other side of Table Rock Lake.

Table Rock Lake was once located inside Marvel Cave  ;D

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 05:42:48 PM »
Not true, but there is a Lost River inside and outside the cave...and it's not the same river.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

MoOzark

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • I raised the Dizzy Dogs from little pups.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 03:40:43 PM »
The original location of the Mountain Woodcarvers was in the area where Sullivan’s Mill is now. They had a fire there in the early 1960s that burned the old Newspaper Office, the original Tintype Photo shop, and the original Candle Shop.  I believe the mill building may have been damaged and partly reconstructed as it looks different from the first building.

The location of the later woodcarvers building and the present train depot was the parking lot for SDC at that time.  The first train depot was about 70 yards to the west of the present one.  Part of the old depot can be seen when riding the train, if you know were to look. There are lots of remnants of older places at SDC. I really need to photograph some of those places before they are gone forever.