Author Topic: 2015 Trip Reviews  (Read 70134 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: 2015 Trip Reviews
« Reply #120 on: July 27, 2015, 09:49:22 PM »
For what it's worth, Big Jack's now has offices inside it.  :-\

They were so smart to make sure that FL is air conditioned. They sure could use more air conditioned experiences for days like this. If it ain't raining, it's too hot or cold. If only there were more rides that the whole family could enjoy that weren't at the mercy of the weather...  ;)

DeweyBald

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 27, 2015, 11:44:43 PM »
Couldn't agree more shave. Today it seems as though it's more about grabbing that extra buck and very little about "creating memories worth repeating"!

OutlawRun

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 28, 2015, 11:41:28 AM »
We just returned from a three day trip to Branson and Silver Dollar City.  Our group had a total of eleven ranging from the ages of 70+ to 4.  We all had a great time - despite the near 100 degree temps!

7/25/2015
We arrived a SDC at 3:00pm so that our friends could make use of our $20 Guest Vouchers and still take advantage of the "After 3 Next Day Free" offer.  This ended up being an exceptionally good deal for our friends since the park was open until midnight!  Crowd levels were fairly high, but that was expected.  We really appreciated that at all food stands employees were more than happy to fill our mugs with ice water for free.  Even though they had bottles of water for sale, they filled our mugs with a smile each time.  I honestly believe you will not find more courteous employees at a theme park than you do at SDC.   :)

The kids had a great time at Fireman's Landing.  They spent most of their time in the "Splash Yard".  Isn't it funny that with rides all around them... you still can't beat just playing in the water!  I rode Firefall for the first time.  My feelings on Firefall...  well, after The Giant Swing it just didn't seem too "thrilling".  But it is a good "step-up" ride for those not yet ready for a more intense ride.  I wish Firefall would last a little longer, maybe just one or two more times to the top.

We really loved being at the City for Mooonlight Madness.  This was a first for our family.  The park takes on a different feel after dark... plus after a super-hot day, it was nice to have a little break from the heat.  Thunderation was awesome in the dark!  We also got to ride Wildfire at night.  The lines were LONG so we didn't get to do much else.  Loved the fireworks.  SDC definitely did not skimp on them.  It was very impressive!

A few things I did not like about Mooonlight Madness.  Why try to turn the entire park into a giant "party"?  For example, there was some fairly hard rock music being played throughout most of the park.  Why?  It really serves no purpose. It just takes away some of the specialness of being at SDC at night. Even my girls (12 and 9) thought it was weird.  The Street Dance Party was fun for the girls... but why not have some "SDC themed" dance moves?  Instead of "Pee-Wee Herman, Pee-Wee Herman...  Go Shopping, Go Shopping" do something like ride a pony and twirling a lasso, churning butter (hey, it could work as a dance move!), chop wood, etc. 

I really hated hearing the band "Retro" playing on the Square.  I'll admit...  I was hot, drenched in sweat, tired, and a little bit grumpy.  But, really?  "Sweet Emotion" playing on the Square at 11:30pm!!  Come on, seriously?!?  Retro was extremely loud, they had feedback and other technical issues, and to me it just ended the day in a totally wrong way.  I can see Retro playing at Six Flags or Worlds of Fun, but not at SDC!!  To me, this is just wrong on so many different levels!  Please SDC... don't ruin Moonlight Madness next year by having Retro play again!  No night time entertainment would be much better than hearing 70s and 80s music blaring!  Let's stay true to what SDC is all about... having fun rooted in 1880s.. not the 1980s!!

7/26/2015
After leaving the park so late..  we ended up getting a late start this morning.  We arrived about noon.  Crowds were light.  We basically had no wait for any ride. We saw the Saloon show and it was top-notch - one of the best shows at the Saloon that I've seen in years.  We at at Crossroads Pizza for the first time and was impressed. By 9:00pm were were all sweated out and ready to hit the pool.  Another great day at SDC!

7/27/2015
We did some shopping at Tanger and then ate a Dana's BBQ for the first time.  All I can say is...  go there!  It was amazing!  The ribs were some of the best I have ever had.  Also, the catfish was fantastic!  After Dana's we went to the Dewey Short Visitor Center.  This was another first for us and enjoyed it.  I do wish they would have some aquariums.  It just seems to me that a a nature center, next to a lake and a fish hatchery would have at least one aquarium.  But still, we really did have a good time there.  Loved the observation deck.

All in all... this was one of our best family vacations ever.  Can't wait to return in the Fall!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 10:22:29 AM by OutlawRun »
You have a great past ahead of you!

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 28, 2015, 12:03:44 PM »
I agree totally with the Moonlight Madness music. Ugh. It completely takes away from the SDC experience. If the PTB wants SDC to become another generic, cookie cutter Six Flags, just do it and get it over with.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 28, 2015, 03:48:50 PM »
Sounds like a great visit Outlaw.

I have heard Retro in Branson 2 or 3 times. they play decent music, BUT always have their music to LOUD. Not sure why, they don't need the loudness, they play good tunes, and have decent singers.. When I heard they would be at the city sat night, I was real sure that would be a bad mismatch. Sounds like I was right.

Of course they are open late to try to get more retails dollars, and this is the first year they have scheduled midnight closings. So they are new at this, trying new things. Hopefully they will do something different next year. I like the midnight idea. Just need to fine tune the expierence for the customers..

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #125 on: July 28, 2015, 06:27:13 PM »
I hung out around the carnival games in GE, Sunday, while the rest of the family rode some of the rides in the area.  While I was there, no one engaged any of the games or the three employees that stood in them waiting or talking to each other.

The thing I did notice, however, was the sign at the basketball booth.  It said that "for safety reasons, basketballs are not fully inflated".  Is that why we don't hear them as much lately, or is it because no one is playing the games?  I thought it might be a response to many of our complaints, and I greatly appreciated it.

Later, I waited at the exit for the Wave Carousel, near the Hi-Striker (which, with all of its lights and electronic sounds and voice, is so out of place it's pathetic; why not build an authentic game instead?).  The Hi-Striker had a string of patrons, and just about every one of them came away with huge, fluorescent, stuffed toys.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 10, 2015, 08:50:10 AM »
Went to the park on Saturday 8/8/15 and had a great day. I was hoping that the threat of high temperatures and some rain would lend to a small crowd, but I was wrong. We rode Outlaw Run, Wildfire, Powder Keg, River Blast, Fire in the Hole, Flooded Mine, Barn Swing, and did the Lantern Tour of the cave. Shopped a little while and had lunch while the rides were closed because of rain and lightning.

Immediately after the rain, the rides opened back up to some of the biggest lines I have ever seen at the park. It seemed like everything (except FM and TNT) extended outside of their queue lines into the park. The SDC iPhone app showed line waits for Firefall, Wildfire, etc. to be over 90 minutes. I didn't even look at the wait times for American Plunge and Lost River...both of those lines were beyond excessive. Even River Blast's line extended just outside of the switchbacks.

We never made it back to the Grand Exhibition so I can't give a review of crowds back there, but Fireman's Landing was very busy. I would assume Grand Exhibition was too.....but to get me back to the GE, they are going to need to add an "E-ticket" attraction back there.

If you haven't done the lantern tour of the cave yet, I would sign up the next time you go. It was a nice tour with a lot of history of the park and cave discussed. I didn't know there was a log cabin built down there....

Jay

HikerDan

« Reply #127 on: August 24, 2015, 09:19:17 AM »
My wife and I spent 4 hours in the park on Sunday morning 8/23 and it was a very peaceful and relaxing visit.

We have always visited at least twice per month for years, but this year we bailed on the park for all of July and most of August. This was our first visit since late June. We just don't enjoy the place very much in the summer anymore.

The early morning rain sent the Pickers indoors for their first two sets of the day, so we were skeptical that we'd have the pleasure of enjoying them yesterday morn. But the park was so quiet that there was plenty of room inside the homestead for anyone to sit down for a visit with the guys. They were even hollering at folks walking by to get their butts in there and have a sit down.

The rain had cleared out just before we arrived, so between and after the Pickers sessions we just strolled around the park and enjoyed the cool temperatures and wide open streets. All the thrill rides were running, as far as we could tell, but we didn't feel like making it into a big ride day. We did take a quick ride on FITH and FM, and were the only riders on both rides.  The music in FM was not playing and we stopped using the guns shortly after entering the mine. Kinda weird floating through when it's so quiet. My wife didn't like it and quizzed the ride operators about the lack of the usual theme music. The operators said they had no idea that the music wasn't playing.

We hadn't ridden the train but once I think early in the year, so we jumped on the half full train and relaxed for a spin around the park. The skit was different than any we had heard in awhile (Dynamite to blow up the tunnel). Alfie and Ralphie were performed by a couple of the funnier guys that tend to do that skit. They did a great job.

We grabbed a lil' fudge and cashew brittle and set out for The Chapmans bluegrass show just after noon. Always a great show for bluegrass fans of this local group.

The park was starting get a bit busier after 1:00 (still very mellow though) so we decided to head for Branson and mess around for a few hours. We had never been through the Titanic display, so we did that and my wife really enjoyed it. Kinda expensive, but what the heck, it's a one time deal so we splurged a little.

Wrapped up the day with a stroll along the entire length of the Branson Landing waterfront as the sun began to come out, making it a beautiful afternoon. Had a late lunch at Old Chicago, a quick stop by Macadoodles, and we were heading home to our backyard in Nixa. Great day

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 24, 2015, 07:17:43 PM »
I was also in the city Sunday.  My friend and I were commenting on what a perfect day it was to be there.  Absolutely no crowds, temps were wonderful.  We rode a few rides and walked through.  I am also skipping summers now at the city.  Its just too hot and its a lot more fun out of the kayak when its warm.  I am looking forward to the festival next month.  I am wanting to find out when the barbed wire person is there, need a gift for Christmas.
Perfect day, at the city from 10-12:30.  Couldn't have been 1250 people there.  It was empty and I really enjoyed that for a change. Another great stay at the Classic.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 07:39:36 AM by mhguy77 »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 24, 2015, 08:20:17 PM »
MH, the last couple of years, barb wire lady was on the south side of Frisco Barn, and I am pretty sure there during the whole festival..

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 25, 2015, 05:33:54 AM »
She's only there the first couple of weeks, soon as she sets up, I'll let you know~
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 25, 2015, 05:43:40 AM »
  I am wanting to find out when the barbed wire person is there, I need a gift for Christmas.
She's only there the first couple of weeks, soon as she sets up, I'll let you know~

Hmm?  I thought she was there longer than that. :)

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 25, 2015, 09:08:11 AM »
For what it's worth, Big Jack's now has offices inside it.  :-\

They were so smart to make sure that FL is air conditioned. They sure could use more air conditioned experiences for days like this. If it ain't raining, it's too hot or cold. If only there were more rides that the whole family could enjoy that weren't at the mercy of the weather...  ;)

That's sad.  I wish they would have at least turned it into Jacks Coffee and Pie Shop. 

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 27, 2015, 08:40:13 PM »
On my cellphone, so please forgive me if I make mistakes. Went to the park at 3 and went right to tnt. Rode flooded mine next, grandson enjoyed shooting the guns, all music and stuff was working. Only powderkeg was not going. Went to firemans landing and they rode the shot tower thing. Saw Terry Sanders, did not say hi, will do that tomorrow. Rode fire in the hole next, no baldknobbers got us! Went thru grandpa mansion twice, he was looking out the window. Went to the taffy shop and scored a big bag. Then just walked around and looked at stuff by the square. I forgot.. Giant swing freaked the grandson out! Lol! He and I rode outlaw run together, I didn't mention it went upside down, he yelled at me for that. Lol! Day one, 3 hours, lots of excitement already. Full day tomorrow. Staying at classic motor inn in the ghost room by the office.... See ya all later!
Live life like it's the last day!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 28, 2015, 02:03:56 PM »
How-do, sounds great so far..  You have good weather to contend with... Enjoy the family time...