Author Topic: 2015 Trip Reviews  (Read 70132 times)

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 Trip Reviews
« Reply #135 on: August 28, 2015, 08:29:53 PM »
Thanks sanddune! Ran into Laroy and introduced ourselves. Been a great two days weather wise. Be going home tomorrow, got a picture video to make of our trip. Do a write up soon..
Live life like it's the last day!

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 28, 2015, 09:10:21 PM »
Ya it was great meeting you How-do!

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 29, 2015, 05:54:10 AM »
Same here, Laroy! Hope I didn't freak you out to bad. Lol!

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 29, 2015, 07:32:56 AM »
Oh no! I love people coming up to say hi. I just didnt expect you to be so skinny, from looking at your profile pic on here.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 07:33:38 AM by Laroy »

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 29, 2015, 07:48:38 AM »
Yesterday: Went on pk and saw Larry, Garth, and Tyler, went to fith and saw Jazz and Jessi, went to Wildfire and saw Lee, saw Terry Sanders writing Train on the on Corkscrew pathway with a chalk pen, went to giant barn swing and saw Kenna and noticed a big blue lift behind Opera House, went to Firefall but they said something squeaked and had to do a test run, i said it might be a wheel that needs oil, they did the test run and they still heard it, they called maintenance and asked what to do, maintenance said shut it down, so i went to the train and saw Rick, Cathy, Steve, and new guy Chris, i didnt see any lifts on the train because they were too high up on the hill, rode FM and saw Charlie and neither of my guns worked nor a few lights and music, rode Thunderation and saw Tyler again, went to Firefall again and got on this time, saw How-do, went to GE and rode Electro Spin, rode Lost River, went to river blast and it was closed, went to AP, went to river blast again and it was still closed, went to PK and FITH again, riverblast finally opened and i rode 4 times in a row just to shoot the targets, saw TBone, rode WF to dry, and it was almost closing time so i went to OR to watch them park the train, then OR did its last round and they parked it.

TODAY: Going back again and I will try to do Marvel Cave.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 04:01:41 PM by Laroy »

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 29, 2015, 08:21:38 AM »
That's sad.  I wish they would have at least turned it into Jacks Coffee and Pie Shop.
You would think after the popularity of the bakery on the way in they would indeed open up this as a  coffee show and pastry counter.  You just need to drive down the street in anytown USA to see that coffee is big money and big profit.  I cant count the number of times I have walked into the bakery on the way in and just bypassed whatever caught my eye in the case because the lines are prohibitively long and transactions are slow.  I don't understand this as time is literally money when you are pushing $4 coffees across the counter.  It could be fixed with more employees and a retooling of the space.  Its needed.  Why not open up Jacks and extend the " rope" down to that mid town area so shopping can occur in the morning?  Not only that but a coffee shop and dessert place in the shade of midtown would be a perfect fit.  Also might help to revitalize the area a little.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #141 on: August 29, 2015, 08:24:54 AM »
Would Mary's Springwater be better served as a Coffee/Bakery location for the morning?
I honestly do not know how busy it is during meal times
SWOOSH

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 29, 2015, 08:58:23 AM »
Would Mary's Springwater be better served as a Coffee/Bakery location for the morning?
I think it would work nicely, honestly I have never eaten there and have gone to SDC for 40+ years.  It never has looked busy to me.  It might be a good fit.  It is also right across from the mill serving the cinnamon bread. , it would be a good space to upgrade more popular options all the while helping mid town.  I never ever go by the coffee shop at the entrance and see it without people in line. Mid town needs a shock or 2 from the paddles of life and a coffee shop might just make a difference with very little investment.  Food purveyors and coffee companies will give the park the machines and equipment needed if they agree to serve their coffee.
IF you think SDC invests in all that coke decor you are wrong.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 29, 2015, 10:28:09 AM »
I ate at Mary's in May, I had the fish it was good, My mom had something else she liked it...

The surprise special, which we wont forget... Wife had a salad, about 8 bucks, had to get another plate to work off of..  she loaded her plate twice, then I finished it for her...  MASSIVE Salad...   perfect for that light meal, or maybe something cool to eat...  buy 1 salad and split it..  Has to be one of SDC best kept bargains...

It was early afternoon, and as I remember maybe 8-10 other families in there.  There is actually a lot of seating in that building. The frontage is very misleading on size.

As far as coffee shop, somewhere in that area, yes,  Mary;s would be great for that, first thing in the morning, fresh rolls, cookies, and other baked onsite goods,  serve this until mid-afternoon, in combination with full service meals...

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 29, 2015, 11:17:15 AM »
Ah yes, the great SDC, with Grandson in tow.. Went back yesterday, ( Friday ) got there when they opened and went straight to PK since they were not running the day before. Rode all by ourselves, it was the grandsons #1 ride of the park! Went to FITH next, rode all by ourselves again. Told the guys working the ride that we miss Zar & that they all were in our thoughts.. 1 of the Baldknobbers grabbed the grandson again!! LOL!! Rode Wildfire, rode in the 3rd row, it was not as jerky this time, so no head aches. I had a horrible headache the day before everytime i rode a rollercoaster. The folks on Wildfire gave the Grandson a award thingy to put on his shirt saying he rode his first rollercoaster. Went on FM, then rode the train. We gave them a dollar since they were robbing the train. There was NOTHING in the train depot, at all!! We then let him go play in the kids area by the train, cant remember the name of it though.. Walked across The Swinging Bridge.. Grandma & Grandson rode Electrospin & a few other rides in that area, got something to eat at the BBQ place by Lost River. Rode FM, then Outlaw Run in the front row, thats always a blast!! Grandma & Grandson rode the GS.
It was about 2-3 pm by this time, so we did the cave very last. Saw 1 bat in the cave, it freaked some folks out behind us. There was a older couple in our group from Arkansas, they were in their late 60s, respect to them for making it all the way through!!
Ran into Laroy 3/4 of the way through the day. Glad i got to meet someone from this forum. He was just walking the park enjoying himself, i almost didnt say anything, but he stopped & i yelled out his name. Hope i didnt surprise him too bad.

This was another good trip. This grandchild had alot more energy than the last one, he was jumping around, running, being crazy like all kids do. Grandma pushed the red panic button on him only 1 time. He got to bring home a FITH shirt of his liking.
As always, Thanks to SDC, Classic Motor Inn, & you folks on here for the memories, great place to stay, & listening to the words of what we do at the place we all enjoy so much. It may be all the same things & scenery, but that is what puts a smile on my face, & hopes to make memories strong enough that our kids & grandkids growing up will want to go back or carry on the tradition. Be back in another couple months!!!!

Will post my video of pictures after i get it all done.. Time to rest for a minute. Branson to KC, 1 stop, chill time.. 8)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 11:28:35 AM by How-doFolks »

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 29, 2015, 02:32:09 PM »
Here is the picture video, as promised! Enjoy!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czmKkiMQgcU&feature=youtu.be

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #146 on: August 29, 2015, 03:57:57 PM »
1 of the Baldknobbers grabbed the grandson again!!

What does this mean?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 29, 2015, 04:06:13 PM »
How-do, how can a maniquin grab a person??? They cant move.

And by saying there was NOTHING in the train depot, you mean there werent any pictures, trash cans, people, or anything anywhere in there to look at?? They never take down the pictures..

No you were fine. I love meeting friends or new people. When I saw you at first, you looked like a normal, random guy enjoying the park with his family.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 04:14:59 PM by Laroy »

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 29, 2015, 07:25:54 PM »
As far as coffee shop, somewhere in that area, yes,  Mary;s would be great for that, first thing in the morning, fresh rolls, cookies, and other baked onsite goods,  serve this until mid-afternoon, in combination with full service meals...
I appreciate the heads up on the salad, I didn't realize it was large in there, its probably the only building I haven't really been into in the city.  Considering the location and your idea of a transition restaurant that would be smart.  I think that would be a great idea to attract people to mingle in that area and bring them into the stores.  I am afraid that we will loose a lot of charm when Mid town goes.  I think that will be the nail for me personally.  Now if somebody from SDC is reading this they can spread the word.  Make it a 2 station restaurant meaning you can go to one place for the food and another place for the specialty drinks.   It isn't fun to mix them.  If you go to the cappuccino area you know you are going to wait for it.   Offerning an express line those that want to grab and go would be a great idea.( this is the problem with the bakery up front) the black coffee folks can be moved through quickly and the specialty folks can involve themselves in the frothy milk line.  Then at lunch they could transition to sandwiches and pies maybe?..........With coffees at a separate station served all day.  I bet they would double the income per hour.

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 29, 2015, 07:39:11 PM »
History Buff, we tell the grandkids to look out for Baldknobbers while in FITH. We tell them they like to steal your belongings. We do it just for fun, makes the kids wonder about this scary, dark ride. We tell them to yell at them to make them go away because Baldknobbers dont like loud noises. We did it to our own kids years ago, & do it still to this day. Well, on 1 of the times we rode, all 3 of us were in differant seats, & while it was dark, my wife reached out grabbed him on the side. After the ride was over, he said 1 of the Baldknobbers tried to grab him. Gosh, dont people have fun, or have a imagination anymore?! Its all in fun.

Laroy, i guess i really meant the post office at the train station. There was nothing in there like there usually is. Only my second time to SDC this year, so if all that was taken out before, i didnt know about it.