Author Topic: 2015 Trip Reviews  (Read 70125 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 Trip Reviews
« Reply #180 on: November 25, 2015, 05:48:00 AM »
Josh, glad you were able to make it.. I was there sunday, would like to have seen ya again...  safe travels home.!

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 25, 2015, 09:51:08 AM »
I'd like to meet up with you again as well Sanddune. We weren't sure if we were going to be able to go so it was sorta of unplanned. Hopefully we'll be able to make it next summer. If so I'll post on the meet ups thread. By the way...I'd like to wish a very Happy Thanksgiving to all of the SDC Fans family. Hope you all have a very special Holiday Season.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 05:17:53 PM by joshblakebran »
Colorado SDC Fan

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 28, 2015, 11:28:43 AM »
I know I'm a little late, but school and speech have been keeping me busy.  I thought I would tell everyone about our experience for the 1st annual Dickens Day for area high school students.

I took a group of eight high school kids to Dickens Day on Thursday, November 12.  My husband and youngest daughter drove over also and met me there.  We had a special pre-park-opening performance of Dickens' Christmas Carol.  It was cool!  We had the best seats we've ever had for the performance.  After the performance, the cast remained onstage for a question and answer session.  The creator of the show spoke about how the show came about.  All too soon it was over.  The cast had to prepare for the next performance.  When we left the opera house, the park had opened and there was a line of people waiting to enter.

It wasn't very crowded during the early afternoon, and the weather was perfect.  I didn't expect a crowd on a Thursday in November.  The crowds picked up a little in the late afternoon, but nothing too crazy.  My kids said they walked onto rides all day.   I took my youngest to see Rudolf, and there was just one other family in the whole building.   

We watched the Frosty show, and then we saw the parade.  After the parade, I rounded up my students and we headed home.  If we didn't have school the next day, I would have stayed longer.  Usually we never leave after the parade due to crowds, but since it was Thursday, it was really manageable.  I hope to take a group next year to Dickens Day.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 02, 2015, 08:04:00 PM »
I'm a little late, too. I spent Thanksgiving afternoon/evening at the City with hubs, and we had a wonderful time!  We got there about 3:30, later than I wanted but had to wait on a turkey to finish roasting!  We headed straight to A Christmas Carol, and within 10 minutes we were seated.  What luck!  It was very crowded and beginning to rain by the time we got out, so we walked around a bit thinking we would be leaving quickly.

We stopped to talk to the blacksmith (Mr. Price in the red shirt)  We heard him say that he's back for awhile because SDC couldn't find another blacksmith after a year of searching for one.  It was good to see him back!  Hubs remembers seeing a job announcement in one of his blacksmithing newsletters about it.

The rain was letting up so we decided to stay longer and headed over to the Pickers' cabin.  We were actually able to get in and find seats this time. The Pickers were as awesome as ever and had another employee that must've just gotten off work singing with him.  I don't know his name, but he was wearing light up shoes and red/green clothing, so I thought maybe he was involved with the parade.  What a treat!  

When we left the cabin, the rain had stopped and there were very few visitors in the park.  It became magical as only the City can when the lights are on and you feel as though you have the park to yourself.  We were sad that 9:30 arrived so quickly.  We didn't know until we walked out of the park that they were staying open until 10.  Almost went back for the last half hour, but we were full of pastries and coffee by then so decided to leave.  We spend nearly every Thanksgiving at the City, but this is probably the one we have enjoyed most, so far.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 08:10:20 PM by Gilligan »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 03, 2015, 08:05:30 AM »
I have been to OTC a couple of times this year, and of course everything looks great at the park, shows all look good.  Food and Wassil all yummy as always...
However I am surprised no one has mentioned the change in the walking tacos...  anybody else disappointed with the change? or is it just me., I hate it when they change a good thing....   (I know they did it for money reasons, they can buyt big bags WAY cheaper than the smaller ones, BUT really? is that extra 20 or 30 cents per serving that important.....  LOL....

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 03, 2015, 08:56:04 AM »
BUT really? is that extra 20 or 30 cents per serving that important.....
Not a good move on a existing menu item.  Better to increase the price by .50 than reduce the quantity.
I noted the pretzel wrapped hot dogs were something like 9.00 a cpl weeks ago.  This prompted me to go to the Reed Springs Pizza company for dinner.  (Was good Pizza and nice servers)
Apple Dumplings have gone up in price.  I find the food selection is driving me out of the park earlier now than it used too. 

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 03, 2015, 01:55:04 PM »
BUT really? is that extra 20 or 30 cents per serving that important.....
Not a good move on a existing menu item.  Better to increase the price by .50 than reduce the quantity.
I noted the pretzel wrapped hot dogs were something like 9.00 a cpl weeks ago.  This prompted me to go to the Reed Springs Pizza company for dinner.  (Was good Pizza and nice servers)
Apple Dumplings have gone up in price.  I find the food selection is driving me out of the park earlier now than it used too. 

You will never go wrong at Reeds Spring Pizza Co. It is worth leaving the park for then coming back. I cannot tell you the last time I bought any food inside. So, I have never had on but just what is a walking taco ? Its not that bag of Doritos stuff is it ?

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 04, 2015, 02:09:02 AM »
 So, I have never had on but just what is a walking taco ? Its not that bag of Doritos stuff is it ?
[/quote]
Yes, runner that's it, Lunch size bag of Nacho Cheese Dorito's, crunch them up, cut open the package on the long edge, add taco meat, cheese, lettuce and other fixings.,  eat it with a plastic fork, when your done throw every thing away. Very filling..  Good stuff....
This year they are buying large bags, putting chips in a paper bowl, meat and goodies on top, fewer chips, less lettuce, Just aint the same, and not as filling, but same money.
[
Apple Dumplings have gone up in price. 
Had 2 this year, but the apple wasn't done, and the "crust" was tough,  But hey! the ice cream was perfect...  LOL...  love them dunplings,

I find the food selection is driving me out of the park earlier now than it used too. 

Had some wassil last trip, good stuff. bought some on the way out of the park, put a shot of fireball in it.. OHMAN!!  good stuff.!
I eat more in park during OTC than any other time of the year..
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 02:10:16 AM by sanddunerider »

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 04, 2015, 07:29:51 AM »
Boo!!! I want the bag! I ask the kind cafe ladies at work to do this for me. The first time they thought I was odd. But then hey saw I was on to something. Others ask for it now! And its not as much as a full meal!!! Eat and run!! Yay!!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 04, 2015, 08:58:01 AM »
My bullet-point Trip Review on 2015 Christmas Food:

Wassail - Excellent as always
The Works - Excellent as always
Walking Taco - Never tried either version
Tater Twist - Good, but over-priced for what you get
Apple Dumpling - I was very disappointed this year, the crust was hard and the apple was small and dried up.
Molly's Mill Holiday Buffet - Great choice, great atmosphere, the best fried-chicken
You have a great past just ahead of you.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 04, 2015, 02:59:18 PM »
Trams, I agree with you and Sand!  Boo, on the taco change.  I can no longer eat them (thanks, Celiac! And, thanks SDC for putting gluten in the taco meat! Seriously???), but hubs likes them and agrees they aren't the same in a bowl.

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 04, 2015, 03:19:20 PM »
Overheard that dropping the bag was a "copyright" issue...
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 04, 2015, 08:08:10 PM »
Overheard that dropping the bag was a "copyright" issue

By law nobody but "Joe" can put taco meat on chips in a bag?  WTH is that?

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #193 on: December 05, 2015, 07:51:28 PM »
It looked like they were keeping it in the bag, Friday.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 05, 2015, 10:52:23 PM »
Wife and I arrived at the City at 10:30, got to park in the upfront handcaped spots for a change. Went through the gates at 11:00 and walked around the gazebo and blacksmith shop because they had the ropes up at the footbridge in front of the candy store until Noon. Lots of people crowded into that area. At rope drop. Went to TNT for a ride, toured the Frisco barn and went to see Its a Wonderfull Life. Show was good. Amazing how they can use songs from other Broadway productions in they Original productions. Went for shakes at the ice cream parlor, wife mad because she could not get frozen leamonaid in the park (out of season). Went to watch the Cajun Connection, they are not as good now as the were several years ago when they had the dancers and Louis on fiddle. Tried to ride OR but could not fit in the test seat because I gained weight again so didn't try and know it would be hard on the other rides. We noticed that the crowds were getting bigger an decided that to just leave at 4:45 and go shopping. Wife asked at the gates what attendance was and the said that st 11:00 there were over 11,000. That's an hour before rope drop. We were shocked that traffic was backed up to the Butterfly Palace when we left. Good thing we left when we did because it would be difficult to get into anything with more people coming in than going out.
SDC has always made a great past to remember