Author Topic: Food Reviews  (Read 7351 times)

junebug21981

• View Profile
Food Reviews
« on: April 28, 2015, 10:02:59 AM »
So, I am new to this forum and are wondering on how much money I need to budget for food and what food in the park are the best!

Please list me your favorite food item in the park, why is it so good and how much approximately does it cost.

Thanks for helping!!!!  ;D

ithai

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
Re: Food Reviews
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 11:37:28 AM »
My usual go to has been the sandwiches at the rib house for lunch. Sandwich prices start a 8 dollars and kids meals are 5 dollars.
But recently I rediscovered the mine restaurant. It appears pricey but there is a lot of value for what you pay. You get 2 types of bbq and chicken strips. A huge choice of sides desserts and salads. Prices here are 14 dollars for adults and 6 for kids.
For snacks the kettle corn is good as is the frozen lemonade. If you get a refill mug frozen lemonade is not bad to get more of also you get a better way to carry it around. The price is somewhere in the 2 dollar range. I don't remember because I have a mug that gets refills for a dollar.
Kettle corn starts at 7 dollars and goes up from there.
If you stop by the taffy shop when they are making taffy you can get a generous free sample. The taffy is quite good. The best part is you can get your fill by getting 8 to 10 pieces a person. You wont want to get a pound of taffy. Stay at half a pound or less it is 9 dollars a pound.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 04:12:29 PM »
Mine Restaurant and Molly's Mill - $12-14?  Food is just good, not great, but a fun place to eat and worth it.
Skillet bowls $7ish?  Located in a few areas around the park.  I like every single one of them.
Rib House - good bbq and sides.  A lunch will cost about $10-15/person?
Sullivan's Mill - cinnamon bread.  Not sure of cost, but inexpensive and a don't miss item!
Delilah's Bakery - various baked goods and my favorite place.  I've always lucked out with fresh bakery items here.
Funnel cakes $6?  Not sure of price, but yum?
Frozen lemonade - $4?  Make sure you get the real one!  Someone else may tell you where that stand is located.
Roasted nuts and curly potato on a stick -
Taffy Shop   It's SO good!  Samples are no longer given out unless it's a very light day.
Brown's Candy Factory   Prices vary The specialty is various brittles and fudge
Apple dumplings!

The best way to eat thru the park is to share and sample.  There are so many good options.

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 04:16:02 PM »
Frozen lemonade - $4?  Make sure you get the real one!  Someone else may tell you where that stand is located.

Yes, make sure it is the "Original SDC" version. I know of 2 locations: Across from Frisco Barn & next to the Saloon.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 04:41:02 PM »
I think there's also one of the original stands in the Grand Expo
I'm Your Huckleberry

ithai

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 11:34:33 AM »
There is an sdc stand in the grand expo.

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 02:27:28 PM »
I Don't pay for any food in SDC. I think it's really high priced. 1 little plate of scalloped potatoes is $8 now. I go for the free samples in the Apple Butter shop, Taffy shop, and candy factory. The only cheap food in SDC is the 35¢ cookies at the Bakery in Midtown. I bring my own food in my backpack, so I also recommend that. Just buy a cheap backpack, put 2 cans of pop in a freezer bag (for if you arent near a water fountain or concession stand, or dont want water), bag up some chips, cookies, peanuts, candy, etc., or buy some McDonalds burgers or Taco Bueno burritos and bring them in. The refillable mug is a little bit expensive, but kinda nice and its nice to splurge a little bit once in a while, but dont buy the over priced food. You can get cheaper food that is just as good anywhere else. SDC food doesnt taste any better than anywhere else. Not worth it!

They get their water from a well btw. A cup of water is free at any concession stand. SDCs water is some of the best tasting water in the world!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 03:31:12 PM by rubedugans »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 09:54:01 PM »
^That actually raises another good point Laroy: SDC still allows outside food and drink.

http://www.silverdollarcity.com/Silver-Dollar-City-FAQ

Does any other park still do that?

I don't find any of SDC's food too overpriced anymore though. Part of it is probably because I'm a lot less stingy than I was when I was younger, but also I've traveled around a bit and SDC's prices aren't nearly as bad as most places. There's some markup for sure, but considering the operations involved there would need to be some anyway.

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 10:00:40 PM »
I agree Shave, the prices aren't too overlypriced...it is nice that SDC still lets you bring in your coolers...because of that, we spend more in the shops and on pictures of the family riding rides. My family usually eats a few meals at SDC still and we think the food is good.
Colorado SDC Fan

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 08:22:13 AM »
The cooler thing is a nice option. In earlier days we left cooler in the car, would go back for late morning sanic, and then late afternoon do the same.  Really save a lot of money doing that. More recently we find ourselves  eating on park.  You just have to find out which food you prefer,  its easier to eat in park and with comparitive food costs not much more than any where else in Branson.

SavetheTreeHouse

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 06:47:44 PM »
Do not pay for the fried pickles, over priced and terrible.  Eat the cinnamon bread, and the Apple creeps they are great.  Thought 54 dollars was a little much for 4 burgers fries and drinks.  Also a little much to ask a guest to only have it SDC way, could not take off mushrooms.  SDC saloon needs to keep popcorn fresh.  Ribs were great as always.  We love having breakfast at Molly's.  Great price and good food for price.   

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2015, 09:34:28 PM »
Wendy's has $1 burgers and $1 fries. You can save lots of money by buying them and bringing them into SDC in a bag.

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2015, 08:04:40 AM »
First of all I do not consider the food to be overpriced.  SDC is much cheaper than the average amusement park.  Second thing is that I can eat crappy fast food any day of the week.  When I go to SDC I want SDC food.   We start our day every time with the breakfast buffet.  We always eat at least one meal in the mine while we are visiting if not just for the food we also eat there because of a kind and wonderful waitress named Diane.  Of course we have eaten at every possible place on park and enjoy them all.   I do want to say this in case the PTB read this.   We all LOVED and miss Big Jacks sandwich shop.   
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2015, 08:49:53 AM »
$16 for the buffets. $8 for 1 small plate of scalloped potatoes. That is overpriced and you can get that almost anywhere else for a much better price. If theyre higher priced anywhere else, tyen they apparently dont want people to buy their food, even more than SDC.

Who is this PTB?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 08:51:37 AM by Laroy »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2015, 09:06:03 AM »
MISS Big Jacks!! is an understatement.  Would love to see a fresh cold sandwhich shop, with fresh made sandwhiches, NOT premade, or prepackaged,,  fresh product, with tater salad and coleslaw..

Would never even consider carrying in fast food, if I am going to carry, I would bring in my own sandwhich fixins...

@Laroy-   PTB   -   Powers To Be   -   PTB