Author Topic: Universal is going to be like Disney soon.  (Read 8201 times)

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Universal is going to be like Disney soon.
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2015, 08:16:47 AM »
Thanks for that post quote, chittlins; it makes a lot of good points.

Star Wars is definitely the way to go for them.

DLR has indeed had a LOT of attention put into it; having its anniversaries and stuff has certainly helped it along. WDW is having its 50th in 2021, so they have 6 years to develop as much as they can to make a big impact for that anniversary.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2015, 12:41:36 PM »
Anyone see the much anticipated Star Wars Land announcement at the D23 expo? Here's a link to the video and some questions that have been answered:

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-land-questions/

It looks amazing and if done right (which I assume it will be), will be some great competition for Universal's Wizarding World. I think they really need to speed up construction on this than they have for previous projects, at least in Orlando. Disney's Hollywood Studios currently does not have much to offer guests when compared to other parks. I think they should get Star Wars Land open there by at least 2018/2019. Universal opened Diagon Alley in two years so I figure Star Wars Land could open in three or four in Orlando.

Toy Story Land was also announced at Disney Hollywood Studios. Are these two lands enough to save the flailing park? Thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 12:42:16 PM by Coaster »
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2015, 03:28:56 PM »
Anyone see the much anticipated Star Wars Land announcement at the D23 expo? Here's a link to the video and some questions that have been answered:

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-land-questions/

It looks amazing and if done right (which I assume it will be), will be some great competition for Universal's Wizarding World. I think they really need to speed up construction on this than they have for previous projects, at least in Orlando. Disney's Hollywood Studios currently does not have much to offer guests when compared to other parks. I think they should get Star Wars Land open there by at least 2018/2019. Universal opened Diagon Alley in two years so I figure Star Wars Land could open in three or four in Orlando.

Toy Story Land was also announced at Disney Hollywood Studios. Are these two lands enough to save the flailing park? Thoughts?

Considering what's been closed and what will close (Indy Stunt and Car stunt among others) for these areas is still a net loss of attractions the jury is out on that. You get immersive lands that the masses will like but will there be enough in them to avoid the massive lines that plague popular attractions now and unless you have booked fast passes Ines at TSMM when I was there eclipsed 2 hours at times. I know they are adding another track but with increased attendance will it help much. The common theme among the purist was no carny rides like Paris and Hong Kong. I did n't have a problem with that as Disney has themed up spinners all over the place. I think their criticism was based in the lack of e and d tickets in those Toy Story Playlands, here you are getting a coaster and a different version of what is Mater's Round up at DCA to go along with an existing attraction in TSMM. The main gripe is that's a lot of land for what's being put there. The fact that the coaster has mock ups of the Parashoot jump and maybe RC Racers begs the question of why didn't they just add those rides as well to compliment the new bigger ticket attractions. I think more is added as time passes, to build it up more as this will not open till 2018. I wanted a Star Wars themed Deluxe hotel with park access like what you find at DCA with the Californian. Seeing the artwork, that could have been epic, giving the area more depth and a changing backdrop when dark with room lights going on and off.

Been looking at Fantasialand too much.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2015, 09:12:40 AM »
I really thought they could have built a fifth theme park just around Star Wars. Hadn't thought of the hotel idea yet, but that sounds like it would have been really cool. There are so many possibilities of things they could do with Star Wars.

And I think adding Toy Story Land is just something to do to save the park. I think something more creative could be added.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2015, 02:10:28 PM »
I really thought they could have built a fifth theme park just around Star Wars. Hadn't thought of the hotel idea yet, but that sounds like it would have been really cool. There are so many possibilities of things they could do with Star Wars.

And I think adding Toy Story Land is just something to do to save the park. I think something more creative could be added.

I think Star War's could have been stand alone as well.

They have skipped a few IP's that would have made good attractions. Incredibles, Up, Monsters Inc. They have really fumbled Frozen. It was and is huge, yet we get piecemeal attractions and when they get to doing a ride, it's a conversion of a ride in Epcot. They will get the princesses there but it all seems so half a%&ed.

I get that the while working studio thing wasn't really working and Disney Studios needed the change.

I hate a full on invasion of characters in Epcot.

I suppose I wished WDW stayed the dominion of Disney animation and classic live action

I wish Epcot stayed closer to original vision

I see Disney Studio being the home of Pixar, modern live action, CGI and non animation films.

Animal Kingdom  is expertly done with, I love this park. I, like many others, think iit does need more but Avatar scares us and we just hope the rides are great no matter how we feel about the film. I see select IP's fitting in here like some already do. The Loin King show, no brainer. I see Indy fitting in, Up would have fit. A new version of the Jungle Book was a missed opportunity but the boats ride it had is long gone. I don't even mind the maligned Dino area, I just know that the Dinosaur dark ride is an inferior version of the ride system used for Indy out west. Being the in Feb, I got to see how twilight looked I  5hat park and can't what for the extended hours with the new show. Pictures of AK dark look awesome.

I hate Disney Quest is going away, I wished for a renewed investment to bring it up to date.

The waterparks are great, but they really have not added newer stuff there for some time, Universal is building what many think will be a Proslide gallary of wow with the same level of theming.

Read where Jimmy Buffet is part of a new resort in Kissimmee, close to AK,  Margaritavillage, hotel, home rental and timeshares, 17 acre waterpark, Fins Up Arcade concept, Buffett branded eateries and other attractions. This just begs for a themed ropes course.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2015, 02:33:28 PM »
That Star Wars hotel talk was something from a poster that seems to have some info from time to time.

Here's a photo of Phantasialand's African themed Hotel overlooking the African part of the park that's home to a highly themed B&M suspended coaster. Notice how the themed structures of the rides ends perfectly with the hotel. This is amazing work. This a must do park on my list.