Author Topic: If FM Is Leaving, What Does Its Last Season Look Like?  (Read 29310 times)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
If FM Is Leaving, What Does Its Last Season Look Like?
« on: July 27, 2015, 08:33:47 PM »
If Flooded Mine must go, what does its last season look like?  Is it advertised as "Flooded Mine's Final Season"?  Is there final season merchandise?  Special rides at Christmas (recall the candy mine)?  How does SDC pay tribute to Flooded Mine when it is gone?  Does Obama visit to pardon the prisoners?  Oops, sorry, that last one just slipped out.

WITHOUT DISCUSSING REPLACEMENT ATTRACTIONS, what would you suggest?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 08:40:57 PM by History Buff »
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: If FM Is Leaving, What Does Its Last Season Look Like?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 09:54:35 PM »
I don't think they'd do anything special, because I don't think there would be a last year. The year after it reopened after renovations, however, it may even have it's own gift shop like all the other rides these days.

But to answer your actual question better, I'm not sure there's a whole lot of precedent here for SDC. The park sometimes will make little nods to its history, but it's actually surprising and unusual how little they do. I honestly think they'd be too focused on hyping a new attraction to do anything to celebrate an old classic. Plus they would be trying to dodge the backlash, which could be huge for one of the big two classics.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 10:00:44 PM »
If they handled it nicely, though, they might avoid the backlash.  FM would join the Diving Bell as one we whose loss we lament.  I see a boon in possible merchandising for the final commemorative year, and I think there would be a lost of people who would like to salvage the pieces.  Imagine some of the items inside there that you could own.

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 06:00:52 AM »
FM will be 50 years old in 2018. I'm hoping for a huge commemorative campaign  ;D I've heard it is one of the oldest "dark" rides in existence. T-shirts, coffee mugs, coins, "toothpick" holders, mini sign replicas, HEY, MERCHANDISE! Here's a money maker! :-\
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 05:59:46 PM by tinmann620 »
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 08:01:33 AM »
I've heard not only is it the oldest "dark" ride in existence, but also the first of it's kind. T-shirts, coffee mugs, coins, "toothpick" holders, mini sign replicas, HEY, MERCHANDISE! Here's a money maker! Undecided
I hope they do some cool adult retro stuff, FITH did this with a black tshirt.  It wasnt cheap and I parted with 18 for it.  If they keep away the tie-dye I will probably buy.   I will hate to see it go if this happens.  They are taking their people eater and getting rid of it?

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 12:06:35 PM »
First, I beg and plead that this doesn't happen. You can go to any theme park in the country and ride a roller coaster. There is only one Flooded Mine (and Fire in the Hole). These are the rides that make SDC special. But I digress...

I rode FM on Saturday, and the music/dialogue wasn't working. It is eerie riding through there without it.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 02:48:13 PM »
If they where to get rid of it why spend dollars on marketing its final year....especially some type of big year long campaign?  I just don't see that announcement causing the general public to fill the park.  If it where to happen I would assume that they would keep that tight lipped until after the summer season....maybe announce during the fall to 'help' with late season tickets.  Hopefully they would have a primary marketing announcement for the next year at the same time with what will be added so the public gets the goods news with the bad.   
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 03:58:39 PM »
If they where to get rid of it why spend dollars on marketing its final year....especially some type of big year long campaign?  I just don't see that announcement causing the general public to fill the park.  If it where to happen I would assume that they would keep that tight lipped until after the summer season....maybe announce during the fall to 'help' with late season tickets.  Hopefully they would have a primary marketing announcement for the next year at the same time with what will be added so the public gets the goods news with the bad.   

I sadly agree. If it were to go, it would probably go the same way Geyser Gulch went. An announcement and probably some #hashtag about having your last photo to up their likes/shares on facebook/twitter.
I hope we never see it leave. Didn't realize it was the oldest dark ride in the country though; I think that is pretty amazing and SHOULD be publicized.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

MoOzark

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • I raised the Dizzy Dogs from little pups.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 05:25:47 PM »
What am I missing? Has SDC made an announcement that the Flooded Mine is going away? Is this a rumor, or has this been decided, or what?

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 06:08:41 PM »
It is strictly a rumor, but may be likely.  FM is not like Geyser Gulch.  FM is a staple ride, a classic, vintage, nostalgic, anchor attraction that has stood up for nearly 50 years.  SDC marketed their old Christmas light parade as the final year, so why not merchandise and advertise this one - along with some anticipation of its replacement.

I think some ceremony should be held to decommission the ride.  Then put some of the mine carts around the new attraction and plant flowers in them.  Add some prison labor to the new attraction and work them into the theme?

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 06:14:00 PM »
Which pieces of FM are the most iconic for you?  Which would you like to own?

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 06:35:57 PM »
I hope the talk of the loss of FM is just talk. I cannot imagine SDC without it. If they tore out what is there and replaced it with a mystery mine, or anything else,

it would just never be the same.
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 07:15:32 PM »
I completely agree, but I'm trying to think about it from a profit/loss point of view.  We're not dealing solely with the brothers anymore, and I don't know that the people in charge of these decisions are as closely tied to our classic attractions as we are.

At this point, this is only rumor that has been posted on another site.

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 05:40:47 AM »
I would really miss this ride if they took it out.. :( Still to this day when i ride FM, i just sit there & enjoy the ride. When i was kid, this song would play in my mind for 2-3 days after riding it all weekend.

Whats iconic, & what would i like to own? One of the prison suits!!  :D
Live life like it's the last day!

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2015, 08:11:49 AM »
It is still a "people eater" ride and I assume marginally low maintenance.  I hope they just refurbish it up with new scenes and updated technology to help keep it relevant.

If they do refurbish it the need to move the exit to go back to the entrance (that gets tricky for some family s)

If you really think big about it....maybe take the water out and make is a 3D sim ride?  Idk how much of the existing ride could be really used if it turn 3D though.  Compare FM to the modern shooter rides (justice league, buzz lightyear, Toy story) and it just looks and feels tired and old :( 

I have many of those memories that you all have about the ride and I'm fine keeping it the same.....but I know my kids just seem to find it boring :(

I'm not sure if their is enough space around it to do a mystery ride coaster?  It seems to be tightly tucked between the RR on one side and the shops on the other.  I really can't predict what they would do with the ride/area if it were to close.

"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"