What color of crayon tastes the best?

Red
Orange
Yellow
Green
Blue
Purple
Other

Author Topic: SDC's 2017 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 218750 times)

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2017 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #135 on: February 09, 2016, 05:16:07 PM »
The area of the waterfall would not be a good place to build a ride or structure. It sits in a low place that may be a sinkhole, possibly a geological feature associated with the cave. My opinion is that it should be left as a waterfall or maintained as a natural wooded area. 

One of reasons folks choose to go to SDC is because of the natural beauty of the hills. They may enjoy riding the train but they are also looking out into the woods and getting a peaceful, relaxing feeling from that. If the park were to loose its "atmosphere" then it wouldn't be the same. It would just be another "Six Flags" type of park. I believe Mary Herschend understood that very well. In addition to the rides, crafts, shopping, and entertainment, I believe there should always be an accommodation of nature.

There's no maybe to it.  That's the reason

Yes!  and Yes!

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 09, 2016, 08:05:56 PM »
Do we know where it will be yet then?

By GE?  Seen from the 76 entrance?

Where else could it go if it's not behind the waterfall?  I know the Cedar Fair and Six Flags parks can cram coaster all over there flat parking lot parks but SDC seems limited in places to build while maintaining it's charm.

Is there room out by OR?  South of AP? Behind FL?  Behind the wilderness church? 'petting zoo' area?

"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #137 on: February 09, 2016, 08:59:32 PM »
The most popular "guess" right now is between WF and PK going down the mountain.

It won't be by GE due to the improvements they are making to EH.  I can't imagine they'd want major guest/ride noise by a major entertainment venue (which sounds like it will be utilized even more from now on)
SWOOSH

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
COASTER 2017?...YOU VOTE
« Reply #138 on: February 13, 2016, 09:59:56 AM »
One can only speculate that a new coaster is coming in 2017. It could be months before anything is confirmed and if a new coaster is in fact coming to the park. Additionally, plans for its type and layout would have undoubtedly already been solidified and sold-in to the powers that be. That said, here's the perfect opportunity to keep the dialogue going and for you to weigh-in on what you would really love to see in 2017. Happy voting, Baldknobbers.     

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 13, 2016, 04:21:48 PM »
Merged the poll topic with our main thread.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 13, 2016, 09:18:05 PM »
e improvements they are making to EH................ sounds like it will be utilized even more from now on
I would like access for special event through the ground lever or stage level.  Thats a heck of a march for some.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 13, 2016, 10:29:02 PM »
Considering how below park grade that is - how exactly do you propose that to happen?   They're not going to give up backstage access to make that happen.  So I'm curious as to what your idea is. 
SWOOSH

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 14, 2016, 09:03:59 AM »
Considering how below park grade that is - how exactly do you propose that to happen?

I know there is a road leading up beside the stage but the logistics would be tough.  I have no plan but I am aware the issue with climbing the stairs is more widespread than you might think.  When EH was built in the 80s we were a healthier skinnier people.  I would hate to see the cityscape adversely effected by ADA requirements that are not realistic. I don't want to lose things because "everyone" cant experience them.   At the same time I wish it were easier to watch a show in EH and not sit up on the bleeds because of the large amounts of stairs.  Its a personal thing I know, just a thought that may cross the minds of more than just me.  Its the only theater in SDC like this.  Like I say, just a personal thing but easier access might mean higher guest attendance.  It may however be what it is, after all like you said "how do you propose" and I don't have a realistic answer with the current set up.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 14, 2016, 10:44:27 AM »
Would escalators work at all? I've not been in Echo Hollow since 2010, so I don't completely recall the layout, so not sure if there'd be room for adding escalators.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 14, 2016, 10:49:02 AM »
Reworded the poll and gave some examples of major coasters that represent each type in case you are not familiar with the labelings.  So results have been reset and if you voted before you can recast your vote. 

Looking at the floorless option - they could easily switch Wildfire over to one as the chassis is the same except the floor is present.  This is a gen 2.0 train whereas other sit downs by B&M (like Kumba) are gen 1.0 and there seats do not sit as high.
SWOOSH

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 14, 2016, 06:18:17 PM »
so not sure if there'd be room for adding escalators
The cost would have to be a knock out.
I think they could run 1 small bus up the road to the main drop and you could disembark and get on the correct final tram.  Just try to let people know that this is for those with medical issues.  Maybe out of the question.........  Maybe it would assist more guests to feel part of the experience.
I think SDC does a very good job with what they have overall.   I mean it is a city in the hills. Make it flat and lose the charm.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 07, 2016, 03:42:40 PM »
Barely a week from the first rope drop of 2016 and it's like crickets, here. What gives? Why no buzz? We just waiting to see if some shred of physical evidence presents itself once the general public is allowed back on park?

And what happened to the poll I posted weeks ago? I know it's been tweaked from my original posting, but the results are not displaying for me? Am I missing something?

The cabin fever is taking its toll. Where's the talk, people?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 07, 2016, 04:20:33 PM »
Right now there are two major rumors regarding 2017

1. Grand Expo
Grand Expo would be rethemed to fit the new coaster.  Echo Hollow would be move to near the parking lot - making a more convenient "out" after the show and it would be created to be more ADA friendly.  The former location of Echo Hollow would be utilized as the location of the new coaster - of which most would be below grade.  The station would be over where the kiddie rides are currently in Grand Expo - those would be moved to Half Dollar Holler.

2. The HILL (between PK and WF)
The coaster would have a station located near the launch area of PK and would utilize the hill for most of its terrain.  It would also create a new "loop" where the walkway would be extended to connect WF and PK.

===

Personally I feel that rumor 1 is the most likely and here's why...
1. The price tag for the project makes more sense for all of that to happen instead of just the coaster costing so dang much.
2. Echo Hollow was originally slated to get several upgrades this past off season, of which none happened.  Why would they do the upgrades if they are planning on moving the whole place after this season.
3. The 2020 project makes more sense to happen on the Hill. 
4. They have already started the GE project.  You'll see that this year.  EVERY RIDE got new paint.
SWOOSH

SDC#1fan

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 07, 2016, 05:51:34 PM »
I thought that eco was getting new bathrooms this year?
Look dad a bear! (colton pointing to a Cow)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 07, 2016, 06:04:18 PM »
I thought that eco was getting new bathrooms this year?

See #2 on reasons at bottom of my post
SWOOSH