Author Topic: Minor League Baseball in Branson  (Read 2389 times)

SDCTinMan

• SDC fan
    • View Profile
Minor League Baseball in Branson
« on: February 08, 2016, 12:10:27 AM »
How awesome would it be to have a 2A baseball team in Branson. Maybe even a I-65 rivalry with Springfield. I've thought about this for months actually and I've found that the best place would be Celebration City. It's already got plenty of parking and it's built for heavy traffic flow. Just knock down some old buildings and rides and put in a ballpark. If our town can have 2 themeparks, countless theatres, go karts, ziplines, half of the Titanic, King Kong, and the Chicago ferris wheel I think we could handle a ballpark. Here's hoping. Comments on the idea?

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Minor League Baseball in Branson
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 04:43:41 PM »
It sounds great to me but I have no idea how feasible it is. I wouldn't mind my Royals moving a team here though.  :)
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 08:49:33 PM »
How are they going to compete with the Springfield Cardinals?   
The stadium up at Ozark sits unused for the same reason
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 10:10:32 PM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 09:56:13 PM »
Why would there be demand for any kind of sport team in Branson? There's no population base here. Someone's got to fill the stands, especially on all the incessant week day games that baseball teams have. Everyone visiting Branson already has a team to root for.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 07:51:49 PM »
I don't see this happening.  Both Springfield (Cardinals) and NWA (Royals) have very successful AA teams that have good and newer stadiums with good attendance.  The owners aren't going to allow any new teams enter that market and they aren't going to be moving without a crazy deal.  I can't imagine Branson being approved for anything beyond a low minor independent team.  Remember that all levels of baseball are still a monopoly and owners protect each other.  Plus...like previously mentioned.....Branson doesn't have the population base to support 2-5k fans a night (for 40 nights a year) even with the tourists?
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"