Author Topic: SDC in March  (Read 3948 times)

jjames85

• SDC fan
    • View Profile
SDC in March
« on: February 09, 2016, 09:04:54 PM »
A group of us are planning to go to SDC the second weekend in March because that's when we can all get together. I've only been a few times and always mid-summer. Anything I need to know to have a fun trip so early in the season? There will be six adults and three younger children.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: SDC in March
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 09:49:33 PM »
If the weather is nice - expect insane crowds and long lines for the rides.  There isn't really that much else to do as the shows don't really get going until WorldFest
SWOOSH

jjames85

• SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 10:24:52 PM »
Hmmm...good to know. I like the shows so that's a bit of a bummer for me, but I got season tickets this year so there will be time for that :)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 11:09:16 PM »
Friends with one of the singers from Sons of the Silver Dollar.  Hoss is retiring and he made it sound like the new group would not start performing until BBQ festival. 

Pure Heart is scheduled to perform for Spring but also may have a different singer besides the sisters.  Cajun won't start until BBQ.  A lot of Midtown is scheduled to be closed again for Spring Break days
SWOOSH

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 07:19:26 AM »
If you are going for the rides you will have a good time but as mentioned many shows and shops are closed. 
As you said you have a SP, I would go into SDC and when the rides have satisfied and you get ready to shop go to town, honestly that's what I do.  I have tried to balance the cost between opening a store or show that may not be full and just plain training your customers to ride the rides and bail.  I hate to say that's my SDC method.   They are inadvertently training people to come ride and leave. Ready to shop?  leave. Ready to eat? leave.....it is not a smart plan.   People don't want to go to an experience and be shut out of options.  What do you think when you go to the mall and see closed stores?
 Disney has learned that keeping customers captive allows them to squeeze every dime.  SDC is missing the boat.  They are also training us to use SDC like a 6 flags.  I appreciate the fact they open early but they do this to make money not to serve the customer, at least it doesn't feel that way with empty stages and shops with signs that say closed.  They are blind in their corporate minds to see the pattern they are creating. Or maybe its intentional?  Shift to new format?
I will be there in March I will walk around look at the changes, ride the rides and after about 3 hours max bail and go into Branson.  I frequently don't spend a dime on park.  It was not that way in the past, I am afraid I am not the only one.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 08:33:26 AM by mhguy77 »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 11:58:32 AM »
Hyperbolic much?  ::)
SWOOSH

jjames85

• SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 06:10:39 PM »
I started to worry I would get bored...checked their site and it looks like 36 of 50 shops are scheduled to be open and lots of places to get food. That should be plenty to keep me happy :)

Sdcnut

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 06:34:03 AM »
Does anybody know what day or month the craftsmen start working?

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2016, 10:55:28 PM »
Depends on the shop.  Some will open opening day like potters and glass blowers but others like the candle makers and the lathe will be closed till later in the spring.
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

Sdcnut

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 09:22:16 AM »
Thanks MD, do you know when the blacksmiths start?

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 01:59:16 PM »
The Blacksmith will be thee opening day~
RIP Chippewa Lake Park