Author Topic: Dixie Stampede renovations  (Read 11408 times)

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Dixie Stampede renovations
« on: February 11, 2016, 07:58:30 AM »
Dixie Stampede is undergoing renovations prior to the March start of the 2016 season.  More details and pictures from Hometown Daily News:

http://www.hometowndailynews.com/2016/02/11/dixie-stampede-offers-sneak-peek-at-new-2016-renovations/

Here's an article from Branson Tri-Lakes News:

http://bransontrilakesnews.com/entertainment/article_11016678-c6b1-11e5-850d-839c8a451b10.html

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Re: Dixie Stampede renovations
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 08:20:11 AM »
I am glad they are changing things up a bit.  While I do enjoy going to the show it has been pretty much the same for years.  The new additions sound great. 
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 08:25:22 AM »
WOW! This looks great! I've been there probably 3 times over the years, and once to the one in Pigeon Forge. 
You have a great past just ahead of you.

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 07:55:50 AM »
And a few more details from another article in Branson Tri-Lakes News:

http://bransontrilakesnews.com/news_free/article_988e4daa-d1be-11e5-bcb4-1b9fc7273f7d.html

Dixie Stampede opens March 3rd.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 09:50:50 AM »
Wow.  The removal of the Plantation House is pretty shocking. 
SWOOSH

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 10:46:17 AM »
They'll probably take out any reference to the Confederacy while they're at it.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 08:25:49 AM »
They'll probably take out any reference to the Confederacy while they're at it.

Yes, the new name will be "The Stampede"  ::)
You have a great past just ahead of you.

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 10:00:06 AM »
If it's true and they've taken this political correctness b.s. too far, eliminating history, I won't be giving them my business.
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 01:28:29 PM »
*braces self*

I am absolutely for them getting rid of the "North vs South/Confederacy" thing, if that's what they're doing. Yes, it's about history, etc. But while the show is about our history, it's using that history as entertainment, when the reality is that the Civil War was a violent, bloody conflict. Additionally, as far as I can remember, you don't get to pick which side you represent. And now that I have grown and learned a LOT since my last time going to DS (pretty sure it's been 10-ish years at least), I would feel very uncomfortable if they seated me in the South section and be asked to "represent the South" for the sake of entertainment.

Of course, I imagine y'all aren't surprised by this, since I seem to be the forum's resident "SJW," lol.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 01:29:18 PM by Joy »

cheesehead57

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 01:48:53 PM »
It's been a while since we went to Dixie Stampede, but when we went they asked us which side we wanted to be on.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 03:51:15 PM »
It's been a while since we went to Dixie Stampede, but when we went they asked us which side we wanted to be on.

Thanks. That makes me feel a little bit better.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 04:17:54 PM »
I've only gone to the show once......food was better than I expected and the show was pretty much exactly what I expected. 

I did spend about half the show thinking to myself various thoughts around the whole scenario and was a little amazed that they still do the civil war thing.  Granted I grew up and have family in a 'Northern' states (KS, IN, OH) and only recently have really been around true southern cultures. 

A few of my thoughts during the show I still remember....
Why would you pick the southern side?  Not only because of the political stuff.....they lost the war? 
They really should change the format to be PC correct?  East vs West, Cowboys vs Indians, city folks vs country folks (all jokes)?  Make up a backstory about fighting families (Hatfield vs Mccoys)? 
I know Southerners are not 'bad guys'  and they had plenty of reasons to secede other than slavery.....but seriously.....would a WW2 dinner show work with Axis and Allies?
I typically hate PC stuff but these still feels weird.....how do I not think about all the history.  This is practically a celebration of war?  Seriously.....do the writers know that the South lost and never really had much of a chance to win?  Do really think I'm not going to picture the real rebel flag waiving?  Would I be even be offended if they used the real symbol or had more direct dialog around the PC situations?
After the grand patriotic ending - ok.....I guess that was good.....was that the souths way of saying sorry....lets be friends?  Passive aggressive way of saying that USA wouldn't be as good as it is today unless we had that war?.....Thanks Dixie?

All that being said....Its a free country....I wasn't offended by any specific situations or dialog.  They sure are making the money to stay open.  I'll probably go again this year to see the changes and because my wife mentioned she wanted to go.  But all the political stuff really distracted me from the show.....guess you can take that as a good or bad thing cause the worst shows are the ones that don't make me think.

"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2016, 07:34:34 PM »
Thanks for your perspective, HumphreyHawk!

I wonder... if they wanted to move away from the Civil War theme, but still wanted a "competition," maybe a Revolutionary War theme might work better? The outcome was that our country was founded, and eventually we patched things up with England, so that might be a slightly more positive theme?

I like your idea of a Hatfields vs. McCoys, though! That would fit into the Branson theme SO well. I mean, they do it at SDC, so why not at DS?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2016, 10:18:08 PM »
Well considering my family fought for the South... THE SOUTH SHALL RISE AGAIN!
SWOOSH

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2016, 11:33:16 AM »
Well considering my family fought for the South... THE SOUTH SHALL RISE AGAIN!

I respect that and I'm not offended by that response.  But understand that others might be offended.  The south will rise sparks ideas that some in the south still want the slavery or segregation rules of the past to become true again.  I'm more quickly to use common sense to understand it has more to do with family pride, being proud the place your living/come from and making sure southern values are still relative in our nation.  But common sense is hard to find these days.

Remember....this show wouldn't make it in a tourist town in the North or West.  No one cares enough about that history.  The main issues from the war are settled now....why create that type of show if it isn't historically accurate?  It's really a celebration of historic southern culture with the bad parts edited out.  Nothing wrong with that....it just confuses people since it forces in the two sides.  They tried to make it as 'inclusive' as possible but I don't think that is really possible unless they strip out the North vs South thing....which of course is the foundation of the show.  Really does make the show seem out of touch with the rest of the country because it is actually more written to appeal to the 'southerns' then the rest of the public.

I hate PC censorship.....rebel flag banning in public is stupid and wrong.....I believe in free speech and believe the shows writers are free to do as the want.  The public will vote with their attendance.  This shows storyline is full of possible ways to offend the modern audience.  Based on the symbols and verbiage that they use....they are very well aware of that and actually do a pretty good job of walking that fine line. 

"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"