Author Topic: SDC's 2017 Project Part 2  (Read 107010 times)

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2017 Project Part 2
« Reply #150 on: January 12, 2017, 08:31:10 AM »
Try the White Water near Atlanta.  They've got more shade than you'd believe.   Its been a quarter century since I visited and nearly as long since I've donned trunks,  but it looks about the same on satellite maps.  It's like the extreme opposite of Branson's in the shade department.   Ive heard the original Sclitterbahn is pretty shaded too.  I think Hurricane Harbor has a nice mix from what I remember.  I visited there with family and just lounged under a nice sunscreen they had up by the wave pool.  What Branson White needs is a mascot. I nominate. ..[/URL]

It's still basically San Antonio in the summer even with shade.

The Aquatica at Seaworld in SA had lots of shaded areas as well, especially around the aviary pool part.

dawsonrt

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 14, 2017, 11:32:12 PM »
Posted on their Instagram today
-Spencer

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 22, 2017, 08:59:26 AM »
Still looks like SDC.  Trees.  Buildings.  Rides.  :p

You noted Trees!! Midtown is getting the Osborn lights and changes would or are being made to support this during the off season.  If you look at the art work you will note that there are many large things up in the air, this brings me pause.  In order to have these things up you need clearence so you can instal it in the first place and for any animated movement.  My suspision is trees and growth has been "adjusted" or removed for this as they probably would not do this mid season.  What will this do to the shade and the character of mid town?  Thats what I am interested in, this is a old area of the park that really captured the SDC feel.  From Marys Spring house down to the woodcarvers (old toy shop) is sensetive and hopefully they have maintained its integrity and character.

This is probably more of a discussion for the 2017 thread, but I hope you weren't too attached to the Springhouse.  I'll admit, I never ate there in all the years of its existence.  Guess I never will.

We really spent more time in Midtown than mainstreet. We enjoyed eating at Mary's Spring House, candle making, fresh cinnamon bread, etc. But this area never seemed to be too busy.  It will be interesting to see how much this area gets changed and what all changes are made. It will be nice if Big Al's becomes something again and do they replace the treehouse with a new shop or just remove it and leave the area open? Looking forward to March and getting back to SDC.

Jay

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 22, 2017, 11:16:53 AM »
I've probably only eaten at the Springhouse once. What I'm curious to know - is it the menu that's changing or is the building itself getting changed? My main attachment to the Springhouse was the architecture/the running water/etc rather than the restaurant/menu itself.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #154 on: January 22, 2017, 11:31:34 AM »
I've probably only eaten at the Springhouse once. What I'm curious to know - is it the menu that's changing or is the building itself getting changed? My main attachment to the Springhouse was the architecture/the running water/etc rather than the restaurant/menu itself.

From what I can gather ... both.  It sounded like the place had been gutted.  The main issue on why the restaurants in Midtown do not get the foot traffic is all of the main attractions and shows are further in the 'City.  Nothing really draws people back to the square after the rope drop.  AND if you ARE headed back up to eat you're headed to the buffets.  Still think we need another flex theatre or coaster right up on the square to spread the crowds out. 
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 22, 2017, 04:39:29 PM »

they used to sell a heck of a salad there,,,  big serving,,,

cheesehead57

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 23, 2017, 12:20:04 PM »
We eat at the Springhouse  at least a few times we are at The City. The food is good and prices are reasonable. The  Mill and Mine buffets  are not worth the price anymore. Their food is onlyujust so-so.

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 23, 2017, 02:45:23 PM »
We've always enjoyed the Springhouse and its cozy atmosphere. Ate there many times over the past 30 years.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

jrkstl

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 23, 2017, 03:33:22 PM »
We've eaten at the Springhouse multiple times, especially since it's one of the few places with vegetarian options. Hopefully whatever replaces it has some variety.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #159 on: January 23, 2017, 07:02:54 PM »
It really was kind of a hidden treasure. They had great stuff like Spaghetti in bread bowls. Unfortunately I was yet another person who forgot it was there because it wasn't advertised well and was tucked away behind things. When they put those wind breakers over the window you couldn't even tell if it was open for guests or not.

I wonder if the rumor about it becoming a mexican restaurant will come true. It wasn't mentioned at Coaster Christmas when they were discussing food, but they did say there would be dozens of new food options around the park. Could be a place for those flat bread things.

It would be nice if the new restaurant kept 'Mary' in the name somehow.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 23, 2017, 08:00:41 PM »
I wonder if the rumor about it becoming a mexican restaurant will come true.
fastest growing restaurant by type in the US

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #161 on: January 23, 2017, 08:50:59 PM »

Maria's Casa de Primavera?
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 24, 2017, 08:26:13 AM »
I wonder if the rumor about it becoming a mexican restaurant will come true.

That would be interesting option. ;D

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 24, 2017, 08:48:58 AM »
The Grandfathers Mansion, Carries Candles, Historic Sullivans Mill anda Taco Truck.......fits like a glove

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 24, 2017, 02:30:26 PM »
The Grandfathers Mansion, Carries Candles, Historic Sullivans Mill anda Taco Truck.......fits like a glove

LMAO!!!  Taco truck?!!!!.   

Dude, i am sure they will reuse the building,  NO truck needed!!