Author Topic: SDC's 2017 Project Part 2  (Read 107825 times)

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
Re: SDC's 2017 Project Part 2
« Reply #195 on: February 24, 2017, 01:05:54 PM »
Hopefully its better Mexican/Southwestern food than the stuff they had at Worldfest.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 24, 2017, 01:36:52 PM »
Looks like a good addition. Fresh made to order food,instead of some buffet warmed over stuff. If they can reproduce the Qdoba or Chipolte experience it should be a big hit. It is just the location that is off the beaten path.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #197 on: February 24, 2017, 02:52:56 PM »
Hopefully its better Mexican/Southwestern food than the stuff they had at Worldfest.

that's my big hope as well, as the "Mexican" food at Worldfest wasn't good- so untypical of food at SDC.

However, in looking over their promos and what they've released, this looks like a massive improvement over that in just about every way.  I'm actually looking forward to trying this.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 25, 2017, 08:27:26 AM »

As long as they are fair with portions.  My brother and I went to moe's when it opened in Branson and the amount of protein (meat) was so pathetic we decided not to go back.  I look forward to checking value for the money.  You dont make friends with salad as they say.......

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #199 on: March 07, 2017, 09:28:15 PM »
I received confirmation that the TNT entrance has been moved.  Instead of the switchbacks down the hill there is now a direct entrance just to the left of the exit path that has stair down to the bottom of the hill and then you enter the building like normal.  They have put up what looks like a temporary entrance arch over the new path and the old TNT entrance arch is still standing, but no longer has the TNT name on it.  Honestly it sounds like they just took the name board off the old arch and put it on the new poles holding up the sign. 

The construction fence is now all the way behind Cannery Row and goes behind the old arch and then hugs the new TNT entrance path all the way down.  You should still be able to get good photos from the TNT stairs leading into the station (for now) as they have not put up a covering there to hide the construction yet. (I would imagine it is coming). 

Some conflicting reports on what they are going to do about the pathway down into Echo Hollow.  As of now it looks like they are just going to use the "other" path down for wheelchairs.  I imagine they are still trying to work out the logistics - which will need to be figured out soon as YCW is coming up quickly. 

When you visit Midtown next week you will notice there are a lot of support "components" already in place to handle the massive facades and large structures needed for the Osbourne Lights.  I was told it looks very empty where the tree house used to be.  No word on if the Ghost Trap is still there, but I fear the worst.

I know I mentioned it before, but Liberty will not be serving burgers this year.  I find this move strange, but it seems like they are streamlining things at the park with regards to where each type of food is offered.  Lots of shuffling around of menu options to handle this new "year of food" that they are doing. 

Sounds like the Saloon Show is the same show this year, but with a few tweaks.  It of course will not open until "Not World Fest" begins.  In fact live entertainment will be pretty scarce during Spring Ride Days.  Doesn't sound like Sons of Silver Dollar will start until "Not World Fest" if not after.  My source there said that it was still up in the air.

Regarding that thing that is happening over by TNT but no one seems to know anything about it. (wink wink) Don't expect the park to actually say anything about it until the summer months and then a very long and drawn out teaser campaign.  The actual announcement date seems fluid at this time but plan for August.

Oh and even though this is Flooded Mine's Big 5-0, don't expect any hoopla about it or official celebration.  HOWEVER, do enjoy a lot of the upgrades it has received this off season.  The crew have been working very hard to make the old girl look the best she has in a long time.  Lots of paint.  Lots of new/clean uniforms.  I don't want to ruin all of the surprises but I highly suggest a ride and do yourself a favor and just ride it without shooting your gun so you can appreciate how good it looks this year.

I think that's all for now.  Looking forward to a great season
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 09:30:33 PM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 08, 2017, 08:19:14 AM »
Thanks for the updates, Swoosh!  Hopefully the Ghost Trap will make an appearance somewhere (maybe near the Mill since I've heard there are ghosts in there- LOL)
I'm Your Huckleberry

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #201 on: March 08, 2017, 08:25:34 AM »
I've been told that the ghost trap is still there.

The new TNT entrance is something people have been asking for to get rid of the switchbacks, but the implementation leaves something to be desired...

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 08, 2017, 11:42:44 AM »
Obviously the update was made out of necessity based on the construction of its new neighbor. I just hope they've thoroughly thought through updating that entire area with respect to accommodating a soon-to-be surge of patrons. That main path (running perpendicular to TNT, EH and culinary school, etc.) is already very tight in there. While I'm sure the new attraction will include an appropriate queue, you know TNT is going to see an immediate return to relevance just given its proximity to SDC's newest addition. When the lines for the new attraction are too long, TNT will be the default. When a group heads to the new attraction and realizes some or all cannot, or don't wish to take on the new ride, TNT will be the default.

If they are not accounting for that, this area is going to be an absolute nightmare in terms of congestion. I'm so thankful this side of the park is finally getting a major attraction, which will undoubtedly help with balancing overall park flow. I just hope they're thinking about the sudden influx of  traffic this area is going to see and how best to update the area to compensate for it.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 04:02:08 PM by BackInTime9 »

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #203 on: March 08, 2017, 03:10:34 PM »
Obviously the update was made out of necessity based on the construction of its new neighbor. I just hope they've thoroughly thought through updating that entire area with respect to accommodating a soon-to-be surge of patrons. That main path (running perpendicular to TNT, EH and culinary school, etc.) is already very tight in there. While I'm sure the new attraction will include an appropriate queue, you know TNT is going to see an immediate return to relevance just given its proximity to SDC's newest addition. When the lines for the new attraction are too long, TNT will be the default. When a group heads to the new attraction and realizes some or all cannot, or don't wish to take on the new ride, TNT will be the default.

If they are not accounting for that, this area is going to be an absolute nightmare in terms of congestion. I'm so thankful this side of the park if finally getting a major attraction, which will undoubtedly help with balancing overall park flow. I just hope they're thinking about the sudden influx of  traffic this area is going to see and how best to update the area to compensate for it.

So much this. Spot on assessment.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #204 on: March 08, 2017, 04:33:06 PM »
Is that why there was talk of a "hub" area there?  We formerly discussed food stands, etc., being removed from the area to open up a large area.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 08, 2017, 04:44:38 PM »
Is that why there was talk of a "hub" area there?  We formerly discussed food stands, etc., being removed from the area to open up a large area.

Apparently that's still happening but the food stands are not being removed until later.  I doubt they last the entire season though
SWOOSH

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 08, 2017, 08:14:11 PM »
Ok small update on the Tree House.  They've removed the fake tree, bridge and the actual tree house.  BUT they're leaving the structure that supported the hideaway portion of the attraction and have made a "porch". 

If you go by the concept art for Christmas in Midtown, I would wager this is where the big Christmas tree of lights will go - but I don't have any proof that that is what they're planning to do with the remaining structure. 
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 08:22:40 PM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #207 on: March 09, 2017, 08:38:39 AM »
I'm told there's been a lot of little and big changes. We'll have a ton of photos to take next weekend. The new TNT entrance still sounds weird to me... They are going to have to open that area up one way or another eventually though. I wonder if the magic box is more in danger than the food stalls. I can imagine which one brings more revenue. They could move the magic box to GE.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 09, 2017, 09:30:13 AM »
I'm told there's been a lot of little and big changes. We'll have a ton of photos to take next weekend. The new TNT entrance still sounds weird to me... They are going to have to open that area up one way or another eventually though. I wonder if the magic box is more in danger than the food stalls. I can imagine which one brings more revenue. They could move the magic box to GE.

Even without the new ride....the Magic box is the biggest roadblock in that area.  I'd image it's days as is are numbered.  I'm sure if the new plaza area is true....they will have to remove it and/or relocated it.  If the rumored theming of the ride is true it would make sense to keep that magic theme around the new ride.  Maybe the goods it currently sells can be apart of the rides gift shop?

Be interesting to see if the TNT que change is just temporary this year.  The plaza could change whatever was done this year next year.

The other concern I had about the plans was losing all the green picnic tables in the area.  One of the few places in the park we could sit down as a family together (usually at least 6 of us) outside of a restaurant and the only place on that side of the park.  We usually bring a cooler with lunch and it's tough sometimes to find a place to really take a break together and eat.
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 09, 2017, 10:42:25 AM »

It sounded to me like the only food place staying was the replaced big skillet and everything else (including the Magic shop) was being removed. 
SWOOSH