Author Topic: The next Branson MO is Deadwood?  (Read 3736 times)

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
The next Branson MO is Deadwood?
« on: July 28, 2016, 10:04:09 AM »
Found this nugget on the interwebs today....

http://www.bhpioneer.com/deadwood/gold-nugget-theme-park-partnership-reveals-details-of-proposed-/article_2d9c5d7e-4e92-11e6-acc9-e7ac64352559.html

Sounds like some investors are telling Deadwood SD they can be the next Branson Mo and are trying to build another SDC.  I know with the oil money up their and the modest tourism they already get.....it doesn't sound like a terrible idea.

I also thought the dinner show being built at the park was an interesting idea.....wonder if SDC could add something like that on-site at the park for evening entertainment without impacting Dolly's show?
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Re: The next Branson MO is Deadwood?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 12:57:32 PM »
sorry....not sure how I double posted....thought the first one didn't take
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 12:58:08 PM by HumphreyHawk »

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 01:15:55 PM »
I sure hope they don't ugly up the black hills like Branson is. Not that it doesn't already have its share of tourist traps, but the beauty of the area is in the scenery not some fake romanticized history. Wonder where they will put all the whorehouses? :)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 02:10:08 PM »
sorry....not sure how I double posted....thought the first one didn't take

Actually, I removed the other one.  It's all good.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 02:18:00 PM »
I'd love to see a park like this built just about anywhere, but from a quick glance building this out on that side of the state is a risky bet. The largest nearby metro is Rapid City, population ~70,000. In a couple hour radius of the site it would be hard to come up with a million people. There's already so much going against new theme park properties even when they are built in populated areas, this is just asking for difficulty.

I know there is some tourism to the area in general with the Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse Memorials, but this isn't even that close to them. Plus those things are usually done as a stop for long road trips, not necessarily as destination attractions. 

All that said though, these people sound like they know what they are doing with the park itself. Unlike so many other recent new properties they understand what a proper investment should be, they have good backing and industry experience, and they have some really good ideas to make a very interesting and immersive attraction. I just wish they would move it down to the south east corner of the state.

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 05:28:15 PM »
Yeah, if they moved by Sioux Falls I would only be a half-hour away from a theme park :D

Hollwood

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 05:51:06 PM »
Echo Hollow was a dinner show when it first opened in the 80's

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 07:29:09 PM »
Found this nugget on the interwebs today....

http://www.bhpioneer.com/deadwood/gold-nugget-theme-park-partnership-reveals-details-of-proposed-/article_2d9c5d7e-4e92-11e6-acc9-e7ac64352559.html

Sounds like some investors are telling Deadwood SD they can be the next Branson Mo and are trying to build another SDC.  I know with the oil money up their and the modest tourism they already get.....it doesn't sound like a terrible idea.

I also thought the dinner show being built at the park was an interesting idea.....wonder if SDC could add something like that on-site at the park for evening entertainment without impacting Dolly's show?

Oil boom is ovah

« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 07:43:40 PM by chittlins »

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 09:02:24 AM »
I guess new parks haven't had much success in the US in recent history.....  It says a lot that a huge city like Houston (and New Orleans for that matter) can't seem to get a park to open.

Like the article mentions.....it wouldn't open as a very big park....it actually sounds like a Wild West World type of effort that failed spectacularly in Wichita.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 12:03:20 PM by HumphreyHawk »

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 12:50:25 PM »
I'd go for sure.
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.