Author Topic: Grandpa,s Mansion  (Read 9841 times)

fang

• View Profile
Grandpa,s Mansion
« on: October 03, 2008, 11:57:56 PM »
Hi all,
I used to spend lots of time at SDC.  I never worked there, but was a captain at the Sammy Lane Pirate Cruise Water Padgent.  We used to get tickets really cheap back then.  In fact, if I remember right, it was free when I first moved to Mt. Branson.   
Did Grandpa move out of his mansion, it was always a fun place to spend some time, on either side of the mirror!
I also wonder if the tree house is still there?  The infinity room was a great place to be if you had the right state of mind for it.
But the most fun I ever had there was down by Fire in the Hole, where the undertaker could keep you entertained for hours.  I have a grandson now and live in Emmett Idaho, I wish something like SDC was around here.
I was a boy scout leader for a short time and had one of the sons of the owner in my group, I cant remember his last name, do they still own it?  I wish they would come out this way and build an amusement park in this area, we really need something like that around here.
Besides, we only get about 9 inchs of rain a year, and that rainmaker could make lots of money here.
Fang Doodle

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: Grandpa,s Mansion
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 11:40:41 AM »
Hey Fang. Yeah, Grandpa's Mansion is still there, though it's starting to lapse a little due to age. They're in an interesting position with it because if they do too much to fix it up, they'll have to add wheelchair access throughout the whole thing, and how are they going to do that with the narrow staircase and the crooked room? Who knows what will happen to it as the years progress, though I'm sure there will always be a grandpa's mansion at SDC.

The tree house is a gonner. It's still there, but it won't be for much longer. From what I've picked up it's in complete disrepair due to some support issues. A brace was put in, but it was not sufficient. Also, wheelchair issues. We've been expecting it to come down for a couple of years now, and it looks like this will be the year for it with all the Landing revival and new-age Tom Sawyer emergence. Will it ever come back? Who knows. I'll be sure to keep pestering them about it though - I want to see them bring the concept back somehow, and I'm sure they could do it magnificently these days.

sdcforever

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 10:42:38 PM »
I was a boy scout leader for a short time and had one of the sons of the owner in my group, I cant remember his last name, do they still own it?  I wish they would come out this way and build an amusement park in this area, we really need something like that around here.
Besides, we only get about 9 inchs of rain a year, and that rainmaker could make lots of money here.
Fang Doodle

The Herschends.  Yes, they still own it.

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 04:51:40 PM »
What ever happened to the waterfall at GM front door? Seems a bit odd to not have it there.
"Loved on Four Contenents!"

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 08:56:18 PM »
The fake rock stuff started to break all over park, so for the most part it is gone. I wish they would have made a new one. I shouldn’t say this, but that is how most things go around here. Quick and easy fix.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 09:15:30 PM by Copper »

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 10:04:11 PM »
I had forgotten it was there.  I know this will just kill some of you but I really wish they would take out the waterfall back by the entrance to WildFire and American Plunge.  It does not fit in anymore and as far as I know it is not really used for anything.
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 11:07:04 AM »
I like to eat at the Lumber Camp by the waterfall.

sdcforever

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 01:21:32 PM »
^Me too.  I love that view...it's very peaceful.

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 08:50:57 PM »
I am very pro-waterfall as well.  I am saddened to hear about Grandfather's waterfall loss.  It was an extra sensory experience just before you walked in.  To me, it was a perfect aural symphony:  Roaring of the waterfall giving away to eerie music box sounds just inside the parlor.
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 11:56:50 AM »
It would just be another piece of SDC history that is being taken away from us. I hope it never leaves.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 02:57:14 PM »
Didn't they used to have some stuff close to that lumbercamp waterfall? 

sdcforever

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 05:18:28 PM »
^They used to have some shows near the lumbercamp waterfall (log balancing, etc).  That went away in the eighties.  Up until ten years ago you used to be able to walk the path behind the waterfall.  That's closed off now.

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 11:16:38 AM »
Hard to believe it's been 10 years since you could walk behind the waterfall.

adairmd

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2009, 05:36:59 PM »
^They used to have some shows near the lumbercamp waterfall (log balancing, etc).  That went away in the eighties.  Up until ten years ago you used to be able to walk the path behind the waterfall.  That's closed off now.

Why was the path behind the waterfall closed off.  It was kind of cool to walk behind there.  A couple of years ago, I was sitting at the back porch of the lumbercamp, and watched two cats playing around by the waterfall.  I thought that was kind of unusual.

sdcforever

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2009, 06:08:55 PM »

Why was the path behind the waterfall closed off.  It was kind of cool to walk behind there.  A couple of years ago, I was sitting at the back porch of the lumbercamp, and watched two cats playing around by the waterfall.  I thought that was kind of unusual.

I'm guessing it was closed off for safety reasons.