Author Topic: Pure Heart  (Read 8434 times)

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Pure Heart
« on: August 25, 2016, 10:01:00 AM »
Just read that Pure Heart isn't going to be at the City any longer.   Why is that?

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Pure Heart
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 10:24:11 AM »
Hmmm. I don't know. But they've been at SDC for 24 years as of this Christmas (they started there Christmas '92).... Maybe they're ready to retire?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 07:56:48 PM »
Just read that Pure Heart isn't going to be at the City any longer.   Why is that?

Didn't they have to replace one of the singers late last season and then for this season?  While I enjoy a good "chain saw" imitation, it's probably time for a new act to come in. 
SWOOSH

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 08:18:26 PM »
Hmmm. I don't know. But they've been at SDC for 24 years as of this Christmas (they started there Christmas '92).... Maybe they're ready to retire?

I'm ready to retire too!
I'm Your Huckleberry

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 09:51:24 PM »

Didn't they have to replace one of the singers late last season and then for this season?  While I enjoy a good "chain saw" imitation, it's probably time for a new act to come in.

Exactly this!
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 08:36:23 AM »
It seems to me that the PTB don't feel entertainment is as important as it used to be.  I have gone to the city for some 38 years and on recent trips I have notices empty stages, lifeless.  This seems to be a trend at the park.  I was never a pure heart fan but I hate to see another bit of energy being snuffed from the park.  Entertainment appeases the parents that don't want to go on the rides and those that visit during the parts of the year that school is in session.  Empty stages are bad things.  I have said before that although not every stage would be used at all times if you walked from hill street down to the lake and back up near the candy store you would almost always see someone on a stage but that is not the case any longer.  Trimming down the budget?

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 12:22:49 PM »

Exactly this!

Yup!  I just hope they replace them.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 12:25:32 PM »
It seems to me that the PTB don't feel entertainment is as important as it used to be.  I have gone to the city for some 38 years and on recent trips I have notices empty stages, lifeless.  This seems to be a trend at the park.  I was never a pure heart fan but I hate to see another bit of energy being snuffed from the park.  Entertainment appeases the parents that don't want to go on the rides and those that visit during the parts of the year that school is in session.  Empty stages are bad things.  I have said before that although not every stage would be used at all times if you walked from hill street down to the lake and back up near the candy store you would almost always see someone on a stage but that is not the case any longer.  Trimming down the budget?

I agree!  They weren't my favorite either, but I'll miss them if they aren't replaced.  I've always been more interested in the entertainment than rides.  Well, except maybe during my teenage years...

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 03:11:45 PM »
I remember when they first came, they did a lot of promotion in the offseason for them too. Although they are not quite my cup of tea I hope it was their decision and not he city's to leave.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 03:35:06 PM »

They are completely failing in this, and they will eventually pay the price of becoming a lower grade entity.  I wish they would reach up to the main players (Disney/Universal) than appease the regional crowds by competing with SF and WoF.  Why choose to be like them when they could build attraction based on a higher quality?

Shows, people!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2016, 03:54:24 PM »

It's absolutely a trend. Performers are probably their highest paid employees, and I'm sure most market research tells them that people are coming for coasters, not performers. At least most of them anyway. The trend is to bring in individual performances like concert series, especially during festivals, and not have to pay actual salaries all year long. Maybe they'll eventually outsource the big Christmas plays as well.

I doubt Pure Heart was forced out, but I also doubt the PTB was sorry to see them finally leave. Of all the performance groups, they surely had the least draw. I appreciate them for being an SDC staple, but their show was basically the same thing you can see in the average church on Sunday morning. The Saloon Show always fills up, and the Homestead Pickers have a serious cult following, so I'd think they still make sense to keep around.

And some of it is simple supply and demand. There's a lot less of both these days. Just like all the craftsmen that have simply disappeared over the years and there is simply no one to replace them. It's still getting harder and harder to support yourself as an artist, and SDC isn't exactly a safe haven.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2016, 05:44:35 PM »

It's absolutely a trend. Performers are probably their highest paid employees, and I'm sure most market research tells them that people are coming for coasters, not performers. At least most of them anyway. The trend is to bring in individual performances like concert series, especially during festivals, and not have to pay actual salaries all year long. Maybe they'll eventually outsource the big Christmas plays as well.

I doubt Pure Heart was forced out, but I also doubt the PTB was sorry to see them finally leave. Of all the performance groups, they surely had the least draw. I appreciate them for being an SDC staple, but their show was basically the same thing you can see in the average church on Sunday morning. The Saloon Show always fills up, and the Homestead Pickers have a serious cult following, so I'd think they still make sense to keep around.

And some of it is simple supply and demand. There's a lot less of both these days. Just like all the craftsmen that have simply disappeared over the years and there is simply no one to replace them. It's still getting harder and harder to support yourself as an artist, and SDC isn't exactly a safe haven.

However, I think they are missing some very important things:

1.  Isn't it possible that the general public does not even realize it wants these shows?  Good shows are always a nice surprise.

2.  Badly-crafted surveys will never reveal the need for these shows, and they will never solicit creativity of any kind.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2016, 06:17:25 PM »

I think you might be thinking of the Sons of the Silver Dollar.  They had one of their members retire, and then the replacement for them didn't work out and they had to find another one while the "retired" member came back for just a bit until they did.

Pure Heart is 3 sisters and they are still together and still singing together.  Actually saw them at our local 4th of July event here in Crane, where they are from, and all 3 were there singing.  When I talked to them there was no mention of one of them being replaced at all.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2016, 06:22:52 PM »

I think you might be thinking of the Sons of the Silver Dollar.  They had one of their members retire, and then the replacement for them didn't work out and they had to find another one while the "retired" member came back for just a bit until they did.

Pure Heart is 3 sisters and they are still together and still singing together.  Actually saw them at our local 4th of July event here in Crane, where they are from, and all 3 were there singing.  When I talked to them there was no mention of one of them being replaced at all.

sirwillow, it was on the "You Know Your From SDC" Facebook page that someone mentioned Pure Heart wasn't coming back.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2016, 06:46:42 PM »

sirwillow, it was on the "You Know Your From SDC" Facebook page that someone mentioned Pure Heart wasn't coming back.

I know they are not there, and I saw that discussion.  I was referring to the "reason" why there weren't coming back.  I don't believe that the explanation that one of them left is correct.  I'm pretty sure that someone got Sons of the Silver Dollar and Pure Heart mixed up and misapplied the confusion over the SSD member to why Pure Heart didn't return.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.