Author Topic: The Coin Press  (Read 3852 times)

SMD

• SDC fan
    • View Profile
The Coin Press
« on: September 28, 2016, 08:51:00 AM »
I'm a longtime fan of Silver Dollar City, having spent many fall trips as a kid with my parents down there, and now recently I've started bringing my family down, even though my wife once said "I'm never going to Branson to relive your childhood memories".  One trip to Silver Dollar City convinced her we should get season tickets and she said it's pretty much the greatest place a little boy could ever want to go.

I recall as a kid getting to make my own pewter Silver Dollar City souvenir coin several times as a kid on a large wood/metal coin press.  When I was younger there was a horse attached to pull the arm of the press, but as I got older the horse was gone and they had me pull the arm.  Can anyone tell me is this press still there?  My recent trips this year haven't allowed me enough time to properly explore the area I recall it being near, since I've was chasing a 3 year old the whole time. 

It makes me sad to pass Huck Finn's Hideaway and see the tree boarded up.  I have fond memories exploring that treehouse and I know my son would have loved it too.  I wish I could remember what it looked like inside. 

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
Re: The Coin Press
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 12:59:19 PM »
I can't add any feedback to where or what happened to the old press....

There are a few modern vending penny press machines around the park.....my wife collects them and we have quite a few from SDC.  Vending machine ones offer at least 4 designs to pick from.  My wife always carries change just for these smashers.  There is one near the cave entrance in the gift shop, the toy shop by FL, and seems like at least one more somewhere I've seen (probably a Rollercoaster gift shop or maybe the train depot?)
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 04:24:15 PM »
The press is located by Powderkeg, across from the small cabin with a water wheel~
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 07:36:37 PM »
The press is located by Powderkeg, across from the small cabin with a water wheel~

And it is just setting there rotting down. 
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey