Author Topic: Got another survey this week about SDC  (Read 8851 times)

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Got another survey this week about SDC
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2017, 07:31:58 PM »
Usually I just let you guys drone on with your faux outrages

So kind of you...........As Bill said I see you are back.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2017, 07:56:59 PM »
Even with it being unseasonably warm...I see some snowflakes out today  :-\

Lighten up and grow some thicker skin folks....it's an internet forum about an amusement park. 
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2017, 08:36:24 PM »
Yes your fears are out of line. 
No the park is not regional - unless that region includes Louisiana and Texas all the way up to Minnesota. 

Usually I just let you guys drone on with your faux outrages but you're beyond ridiculous this time and have taken it to the next level.  My goodness it must be complete hell to feel the need to find something in every change (most for the better) and completely disregard any attempt of enjoying yourself while at the park.

Oh and since you're already worked up - ignore the streamlining of light fixtures in certain areas this season.  I'm sure that'll send some of you to the corner in a fetal position.
Oh look everybody, the board asshole is back doing what he does best, being high and mighty! Our own little Napoleon to tell us how naughty we all are from his self-anoited throne.
Must suck to be you. Seriously.

My goodness you must be fun at parties. 
Quick question, do you have a spare tinfoil hat?
Oh and you may approach the throne and kiss my ring now. 

;D ;D ;D

« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 08:42:14 PM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2017, 09:34:15 PM »
All right guys, let's chill.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2017, 07:58:19 AM »

You dont know what you've got till its gone............

The new signs along 76 were the first nail.  Departure from the rustic SDC feel.  You dont have to have stupid Hillbillies to have a 1800 theme.  Look at Knotts berry farm, the money they invested in their older origional rides, there was a reason. 
SDC is slowly making a big mistake.  They are becoming Six Flags and Worlds of Fun. Replacing wood with tan stucco.   You must set your selves apart but they are homogenizing their theme.  Look at the Firemans landing, we got the baloons back, a fair ride from Celebration city and a reduced tree house playground.  The direction the park is taking is a mistep, its common, nothing special.  Trash the Flooded Mine and FITH and its pretty much gone. The treehouse finally hit the ground this winter.  Rides are important but the park contains so much more, theme, setting, atmosphere.  And the more is being chipped away at rather quickly.  I have been to DW.  Nice place and I enjoyed myself but I could tell where SDC existed within the park and I felt like I was looking at our future.  It was the only part of the park that had real flavor.  I enjoyed my time but was it worth repeting?  Not like SDC, I havent been back in 5 years and dont see it on my radar.

I have seen SDC 2.0 its called DW.  Its a bigger market, close to the coast and larger pool of patrons.  SDC is a different market more regional.  I am concerned about what the future holds, simply for selfish reasons.  Are my fears out of line? are they unwarented or have any of you noticed?

I'll disagree with Swoosh (and leave it at that) and say that I think you're dead on right.  We noticed it and talked about it frequently when I was working at the park, and the ones that have been there for years said that it's been going on for a while, but has certainly sped up in the last handful of years.  They have actively been downplaying the "hillbilly" part, even asking their employees at times to tone it down or stop.  The "themes" are becoming more generic and they are having to stretch to make it fit.  And it's becoming more white washed and static.  There have been fears within the park for several years that Flooded Mine is on the chopping block, and while it's still there, there's not a lot of confidence in it's long term future.  I know on the train we talked about the concerns of the rides stretching out and encroaching on the woods and the future of the robbery- something that 10 years ago wouldn't have been a worry, but is now, with the PTB not being very reassuring on it.

While I don't think it will ever go so far in ditching the theme as, say, California's Great America did over the years in transition from Marriott's, I think that DW is a great picture of SDC's future, but on a smaller scale.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2017, 10:13:22 AM »
I think you are going to see changes at SDC as a reflection of the demographics changing in Branson. The new attractions on 76 are an indicator too: Drop Tower, Alpine Coaster, Youth Sports, Challenge Parks, etc.

I was saying things were changing away from the "feel" of SDC when they add Half Dollar Hollar right smack in the middle of the park; the atmosphere around the swinging bridge was forever ruined. You could say though that the additions of Wildfire, Powder Keg and Grand Exposition started the "change" long before; but HDH right in the middle of the park I thought was poorly done.

But with each of my "I do this differently" - there are others that love what was done. So as long as they don't start putting up Batman in one section of the park, then Superman in another, and completely abandoning the "overall cohesive theme"; I'll enjoy my day. In addition to the rides, leave me stores to shop, shows to see, food to eat, and crafts to watch and I'll be back year after year.

But if it's not special and magical and becomes generic - I'll probably find something else to do with my time and money....but so far, even with all the changes that have been made, I find that SDC is my "happiest place on earth".

Jay

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2017, 11:03:46 AM »
I was saying things were changing away from the "feel" of SDC when they add Half Dollar Hollar right smack in the middle of the park; the atmosphere around the swinging bridge was forever ruined. You could say though that the additions of Wildfire, Powder Keg and Grand Exposition started the "change" long before; but HDH right in the middle of the park I thought was poorly done.

This is the chipping away, I am not against adding attractions but sometimes a quiet spot in your day was a great departure from the crowds.  The swinging bridge was just this and the path that lead along the train.  The waterfall, the creek that runs along the knife shop road.  These things were or are as the case may be "SDC"  Little things add up, little things all together is what makes it whole.  Like an orchestra, I guess you can start removing instruments but it sure will not sound the same soon, it may take a bit to notice but when you do its unmistakable and regardless of how loud the remaining players play you know they are gone.

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2017, 11:06:46 AM »
Even with it being unseasonably warm...I see some snowflakes out today  :-\

Lighten up and grow some thicker skin folks....it's an internet forum about an amusement park.
Exactly, swoosh needs to lighten up. It aint the end of the world when people opine about an amusement park. I know we didnt check with him first so he could give us his ego-filled opinion but still..
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2017, 11:16:59 AM »
Yes your fears are out of line. 
No the park is not regional - unless that region includes Louisiana and Texas all the way up to Minnesota. 

Usually I just let you guys drone on with your faux outrages but you're beyond ridiculous this time and have taken it to the next level.  My goodness it must be complete hell to feel the need to find something in every change (most for the better) and completely disregard any attempt of enjoying yourself while at the park.

Oh and since you're already worked up - ignore the streamlining of light fixtures in certain areas this season.  I'm sure that'll send some of you to the corner in a fetal position.
Oh look everybody, the board asshole is back doing what he does best, being high and mighty! Our own little Napoleon to tell us how naughty we all are from his self-anoited throne.
Must suck to be you. Seriously.

My goodness you must be fun at parties. 
Quick question, do you have a spare tinfoil hat?
Oh and you may approach the throne and kiss my ring now. 

;D ;D ;D
I see what you did there. Props.
i dunno if im fun, but at least im not the guy walkin around lookin for someone to disagree with....or saying "look at my website so i can feel important"  8)
And it aint a hat, its a security system  ;)
Sorry folks. Lets go back to this survey which obviously means nothing and was always intended as merely a waste of time and resources.
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2017, 12:59:23 PM »

This is the chipping away, I am not against adding attractions but sometimes a quiet spot in your day was a great departure from the crowds.  The swinging bridge was just this and the path that lead along the train.  The waterfall, the creek that runs along the knife shop road.  These things were or are as the case may be "SDC"  Little things add up, little things all together is what makes it whole.  Like an orchestra, I guess you can start removing instruments but it sure will not sound the same soon, it may take a bit to notice but when you do its unmistakable and regardless of how loud the remaining players play you know they are gone.

I'm also a fan of the non-ride things in the park (though I do enjoy most of the rides).  In my earlier post I was just pointing out that as far as some attendees are concerned they have to add more new attractions to get return visitors.  Have they had a big year (besides Old Time Christmas that is almost always busy) since 2013 and the debut of Outlaw Run?
I'm Your Huckleberry

psychosaw13

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
    • Destination:Deserted
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2017, 04:14:42 PM »
I actually got the survey too & was excited to use my voice.
I just reiterated that they always should keep in mind three words
besides the word "Adventure" they seemed intent on using, and that was "Rustic,Family & Faith" which had always set SDC apart from other parks. I also kept reminding them every chance I got to use the words "1880's & Past" as well .

Maybe the new coaster can take me back in time to SDC 1979.
I ain't got no pants no more! The Dang Baldknobbers stole'em!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2017, 07:00:28 PM »
There are a lot of things that I've been disappointed about here and there as the park has progressed through the years. I've definitely done more than my fair share of gripping about theme elements slipping and certain things being taken away carelessly. I don't mind seeing people wax about the way things used to be, and I certainly don't mind complaining about poor choices the park has made.

I just don't see what this survey has to do with it. If you want to complain about something, look at hobo junction, or the empty spaces where old antique equipment used to be that was allowed to rot away until it was unceremoniously thrown out. Look at the antique one of a kind rides that aren't taken care of or celebrated the way they should be. Look at how midtown is apparently being ravished with ugly semi-permanent false facades.

This survey just seems to be talking about marketing verbiage, and it's all pretty much normal stuff that applies to any generation of the park. If it were asking about adding a 1960's section to the park, that would be one thing, but "rustic" and "adventure" are just generic marketing terms that people are using a lot these days.

You gotta watch out for the whole "boy who cried wolf" situation with regards to stuff like this. If we complain about every little thing, it has less impact than if we actually point out specific stuff that matters.

Injun Joe

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2017, 03:38:25 PM »
Somebodys been into the wildfire. That stuffs not for drinking!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2017, 04:15:23 PM »

That, or riding the train and stopping at the still.... :o :o ::) ::)

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2017, 09:27:45 AM »

That, or riding the train and stopping at the still.... :o :o ::) ::)

Moonshine stump.  I'm stumped why they call it that.

That's the engineer's favorite part of the ride.  My grandpappy used to call that stuff frog water.  One sip your face will turn green, two sips you start hoppin' aroun'.  Three sips, you croak.  *ribbet*
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.