Author Topic: Just some general questions  (Read 7710 times)

npd652

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
Just some general questions
« on: February 18, 2017, 11:42:32 AM »
Why doesn't SDC have a "dining pass" offer or offer a sports bottle that you can have free refills?

Why do some theme parks charge for parking? I know Six Flags St Louis is $20.00 a car. Just doesn't make sense to charge for parking and then you still have to pay the admission price to get in.

Why cant more parks do what Holiday World does and offer free parking, free drinks?

Why the huge up-charge on bottle water and other food items?

I understand they need to make money but wouldn't they gain more attendance if the prices were all reasonable.

How do some of you feel about people who purchase and or have these flash pass/ trailblazers passes and are able to skip the lines? I admit that I purchased the SDC season trailblazer pass last year and loved it. However, some of the looks I got from people when I skipped the line was nerve racking. Just curious to hear some others thoughts on that.   

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
Re: Just some general questions
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 12:52:17 PM »
I'm sure some parks charge for parking to make money for parking lot improvements. That way the admission price can go towards in-park improvements. Silver Dollar city offers free parking and while I'm not familiar with how Holiday World does things, I'm sure they don't offer free soft drinks without first buying a cup. I think you can get free water from any booth at SDC, so you can still get water for free you just don't get a bottle. I think Trailblazer passes are fine, but I think they could find a better way to do things. At SDC they pull them from a separate line so everyone knows they are "budging" in front. At other parks, like Cedar Point, they have the FastLane (their equivalent of Trailblazer passes) people merge with the normal line on some rides so you don't even notice they haven't waited as long.

npd652

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 02:23:14 PM »
Actually Holiday World is totally free drinks. They have drink stations located throughout the park. You just walk up and grab a cup and get a fountain drink of your choice. They have several options to choose from. From Pepsi to Gatorade. Once your finished just throw the cup away. You get thirsty later just find another drink station.

I agree that SDC needs to work on the Fast Pass issues. Several rides you have to walk through the line to get up front. Always get a lot of hateful stares.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 04:02:17 PM »
The "perks" at Holiday World are not "free" as they have been built into the admission price. The park disclosed this a long time ago around the time the switch was made. 
SWOOSH

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 07:33:56 PM »
Actually Holiday World is totally free drinks. They have drink stations located throughout the park. You just walk up and grab a cup and get a fountain drink of your choice. They have several options to choose from. From Pepsi to Gatorade. Once your finished just throw the cup away. You get thirsty later just find another drink station.
Great marketing that I see has worked.  Good for Holiday World they have made a change that brings with it the perception of value.  Very smart, very customer savvy.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 10:52:23 AM by mhguy77 »

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 07:47:31 AM »
Why doesn't SDC have a "dining pass" offer or offer a sports bottle that you can have free refills?
they do offer cheap refills throughout the year with the purchase of a souvenier cup.  Buy the cup at the beginning of the season and it's just over a $1 for soda refills the rest of the year.  The dining pass would probably not be a good sell for the park though, with the variety of foods it has.  There's a chance they could actually lose money instead of gain because people would be sampling so many different items, depending on how they packaged it.

But drinks are the biggest profit makers for the park, and food close behind it.  It's something they are going to want to work the most profits out of as that's what really makes the money for the park.

Why do some theme parks charge for parking? I know Six Flags St Louis is $20.00 a car. Just doesn't make sense to charge for parking and then you still have to pay the admission price to get in.
Because they can, and people will pay it.  and this is true at most tourist stops now it seems (stadiums, sports events, etc) and only a handful of theme parks don't charge anymore.  Easy money.

Why cant more parks do what Holiday World does and offer free parking, free drinks?
Because they would lose the opportunity for easy money, and easy profits.  I'm honestly still surprised that HW does it, especially with their low gate price (about $15 less than SDC before discounts) but it has turned into a very effective marketing tool and now something they are known for, which has helped draw people in.  Other parks don't see the need to do it.

Why the huge up-charge on bottle water and other food items?
again, money.  They are a business, and that's where most of the profits are made.

I understand they need to make money but wouldn't they gain more attendance if the prices were all reasonable.
Here's where it gets funny.  Yes, they want more attendance, but not at the expense of profits.  The park's attendance number are actually very good and have been on a steady increase over the years.  They don't need to cut prices or give things away to get people to come, so why do it?  That's like asking why Disney World keeps increasing prices.  Because they can without it affecting their attendance numbers.  As long as attendance is good and increasing, there's absolutely no reason for them to cut prices other than some people don't want to spend so much.  In which case SDC allows you to bring in your own food and drink if that's what you want.

How do some of you feel about people who purchase and or have these flash pass/ trailblazers passes and are able to skip the lines? I admit that I purchased the SDC season trailblazer pass last year and loved it. However, some of the looks I got from people when I skipped the line was nerve racking. Just curious to hear some others thoughts on that.
You spent the money, enjoy the pass.  They're good on a busy day, but most days not worth the money.  As an employee we didn't care much one way or the other.  The looks are just people showing they are jealous, but oh well. *shrug*
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

npd652

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 04:04:14 PM »
Thanks SirWilliow for your response.
How did you all handle the guests who complained about the people skipping lines due to them having special passes?

Thanks Swoosh for you informative comment.......curious to here your thoughts on my other questions though.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 07:11:06 PM »
Every park/amusement business has it's own special blend of pricing schemes to stay profitable. Some parks emphasis higher entry fees and lower food prices, while others give away they gate and then charge you $10 for a hamburger. It's a very interesting game they have to play to find out what each individual crowd will accept and how they will react to various pricing structures.

Six Flags has been able to significantly increase parking prices in the last decade because urban area people are more used to being forced to pay for parking at special events/popular places. By raising parking prices they can lower the gate prices and advertise that.

Silver Dollar City is in a tougher spot with regards to parking prices because the culture of the area is against it. They've had free parking for over 50 years so it would be bad publicity to simply throw down a big parking fee these days, even if they could lower their gate price. Most people going to SDC are pass holders who stay in the area for long periods at time shares and such, or live in the surrounding states and visit multiple times. This forces them to make their money through pass sales, food and drinks, and shop sales.

Food and drink at parks and stadiums is tougher to manage than you would think. They do make a killing off of it, but there's also a ton of overhead and logistics involved, so it's not as easy as you'd think most of the time. A lot of industries make their real money through the sale of soda, which is actually very cheap to produce if you have soda fountains and buy the syrup in bulk.

Over time you will see SDC slowly incorporate the things you see at "bigger" parks as people get used to them or accept them. I expected a huge pushback to the fast pass system, but they have slowly wedged it into the culture of the park one step at a time. The same is happening with the slowly increasing paid parking lot.

SDC will always have it's own unique flavor though. It is a destination park, and someday when it gets the resort added on, there will certainly be a resort pricing structure.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 09:52:50 AM »
Thanks SirWilliow for your response.
How did you all handle the guests who complained about the people skipping lines due to them having special passes?

We didn't have to many of them on the train, but when we did we preboarded them at the back of the train, or near the back half of the third car.  It usually wasn't worth it to use it on the train, and if our lines showed that it wasn't, we let them know.

Since they boarded with the wheelchairs and other special boards, most people didn't notice or say anything.  If they did, we'd gently tell them that they were welcome to head up front and buy a Trailblazer pass as well if they wanted special access.  :)  It was rarely a problem though.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 09:57:56 AM »
Silver Dollar City is in a tougher spot with regards to parking prices because the culture of the area is against it. They've had free parking for over 50 years so it would be bad publicity to simply throw down a big parking fee these days, even if they could lower their gate price. Most people going to SDC are pass holders who stay in the area for long periods at time shares and such, or live in the surrounding states and visit multiple times. This forces them to make their money through pass sales, food and drinks, and shop sales.

Over time you will see SDC slowly incorporate the things you see at "bigger" parks as people get used to them or accept them. I expected a huge pushback to the fast pass system, but they have slowly wedged it into the culture of the park one step at a time. The same is happening with the slowly increasing paid parking lot.

You touched on a couple of things. The paid "valet" parking has been a huge hit for them, and brings in a good amount of money.  They've gradually been expanding that each year, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it eventually lead to a lot more paid parking options. It would be tough to make all of the parking paid though the way they have so many different lots spread out all over.  But I'd be surprised to not see the paid parking keep growing and expanding.

The Trailblazer pass I think SDC has done right (unlike some of the others) along with the show pass in that they limit how many of them they sell,and how many uses each has, so that they don't impact the lines in any significant way.  For those that really want them, they are available (at a fairly hefty price I might add) but it wont' affect most of the rest of the guests in the park.

npd652

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 05:21:26 PM »
I didnt mind paying the $150.00 for the season trailblazer pass because I can use it anytime I want and ride as many times as I want. I find it hard to swallow the $69 for a one day trailblazer pass. Personally wished other parks would offer a season "fast pass". I attend SDC and Six flags numerous times throughout the year......SDC was 19 times last year....loved each time.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 10:28:33 PM »
I didnt mind paying the $150.00 for the season trailblazer pass because I can use it anytime I want and ride as many times as I want. I find it hard to swallow the $69 for a one day trailblazer pass. Personally wished other parks would offer a season "fast pass". I attend SDC and Six flags numerous times throughout the year......SDC was 19 times last year....loved each time.

Valleyfair and another CF park experimented with a season pass flash pass last season.   Have not heard if it will continue or be expanded to other parks in the chain. 
SWOOSH

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2017, 10:10:59 AM »

By now Im sure some of you know I hate them, but Im going to say more about it anyway. They do have a limited number of these, which is very good. The less of these the better. Its also good that they have a hefty price so only few people will buy them.

I usually see someone using the fast pass everyday I come. I hate them. Most people call them "cheaters" because they are cheating the line even though they may come once a year or less. A line is defined as "A formation of people or things one behind  another". This is a system that works and has worked for a long time in humanity. By cheating the system, it may good for you or feel good to you, but it is bad for all of us and you will eventually feel guilty or karma will catch up. There is a line for a reason: to let people do something they want to do which is 1st come, 1st serve. By cutting in line, there really is no line anymore. If someone saves a space in line and that person or those people come after they got in line, it is cutting because it puts everyone from that point back, farther back then where they got in line. That is why I dont allow saving spots in line and will make sure an empolyee of the ride knows and try my best to get you kicked out of the park or at least kicked out of line. It is not fair to anybody. If you want to ride, but your family is somewhere in line, it dont matter. You must go to the back of the line like everyone else. We all waited in line and you have to as well. You are no more important than the rest of us. Cutting in line, to me, is like kicking me in the nuts or robbing me, like a democrat does.

If you are handicapped in any way, that is fine. You may use the exit to enter. If there is a single rider line, that is also fine because most trains have 1 seat empty. Filling every train to capacity is best because it will fit more people from the normal line and help single riders not have to go through the normal line. SDC really needs single rider lines, especially now that we have fast passes.

I also hate the show pass because they make more and more seats reserved for them every year. Seats that I loved to sit in as a kid.

White Water doesnt have fast passes, that I know of, and there is no way to cheat unless they cut straight through the actual lines. There is also no way for Handicapped people to get through without waiting in the normal line unless they cant walk. There is also no single rider line. Because of all of this, I always stand my ground by taking up my place in line and not letting people pass in line. If there was a separate line for each slide or if they can prove they are Handicapped, I will let them pass. If there is nothing wrong with them, they need to wait in line like the rest of us or get a lifeguard or manager to walk with them. This is another reason why I love White Water. There are no loopholes and no way to cheat the system.

When it comes to either fast pass at SDC, dont get me started. I HATE THEM! They found a loophole to cheat the system.

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2017, 10:16:04 AM »
I agree that SDC needs to work on the Fast Pass issues. Several rides you have to walk through the line to get up front. Always get a lot of hateful stares.

??? What???? What ride do you have to walk through the line? There is always an exit. You are suppose to use the fast pass entrance which is made only for fast pass holders or use the exit if there is no fast pass entrance. You wont even see the people waiting in line when there is no fast pass entrance.

npd652

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2017, 02:21:38 PM »

??? What???? What ride do you have to walk through the line? There is always an exit. You are suppose to use the fast pass entrance which is made only for fast pass holders or use the exit if there is no fast pass entrance. You wont even see the people waiting in line when there is no fast pass entrance.

Lost River: You now have to stop and let the employee try to sell you waterproof gear.....there is always a line there on hot days. You must walk past all those people to get that same employee so they can call to the loading dock and hold you a spot.

FITH: You have to walk past all the people in line and enter the same entrance as they do.

Electro Spin: Yes you use the exit but still have to stand next to all the people in line.

Thunderation: you enter from the side and merge in with the others
Train: You enter from the exit
Swings: Enter from the exit but they sometimes change the location
Barn Swing: Enter from Exit
FireFall: Enter from the Back side
Outlaw Run: Enter from a special entrance to a locked gate where an attendant verifies you pass and then he lets you pick out your seat.
Powder Keg: Separate Line but still walk past others waiting and arrive at the attendant.
Wildfire: Use handicap entrance but once again you have to stand there with the others and wait for the attendant.
American Plunge: Has a side entrance to use

I get what your saying about waiting in line like everybody else. I dont use my pass when the line is short. When you got 45 min wait then I will use my pass.....BUT the same pass I bought is available to anyone who wants one.