Author Topic: make the city a City again  (Read 11863 times)

SteamFreak

Re: make the city a City again
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2009, 12:14:12 PM »
You got it! ;)

Dukefan

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2009, 05:35:06 PM »
The sad thing is, hardly any of the other guests care, so there's absolutely no incentive for them to go back to some of the old ways. I mean, when you have other parks selling ad space on their rollercoaster cars, the varying effort SDC still puts in to their atmosphere still blows them away.
The bar is continuously being lowered industry wide, thus even if SDC slips in some area it's still proportionately better than that of what other parks are doing at the moment.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 05:52:31 PM by Dukefan »

Tom

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2009, 11:34:00 PM »
I was wondering about the tree rumor: there is simply no way that 2 trees were replaced for every tree that was trashed during the parking lot project- no way

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2009, 12:23:38 AM »
I wonder if perhaps they plant them on other Herschend-owned properties?

Joy

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2009, 05:49:38 AM »
I agree with Tom, I've been over every inch of SDC this year, and the only new trees I've noticed were some of the 55 I donated this spring!  (They're around the Homestead area)  :)
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

sdcforever

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2009, 09:31:25 AM »
I was wondering about the tree rumor: there is simply no way that 2 trees were replaced for every tree that was trashed during the parking lot project- no way

Of course they're not planted inside the SDC park.  HFE owns a lot of land (26 family entertainment parks across ten states) so, like tinaalsgirl said, they do plant two trees for every tree that they cut down for development (like for the parking lot project), just not always in the same area.  They are planted on HFE-owned land.  Many people seem to believe that HFE is a cold, faceless corporation (and those that do seem to believe that Jack and Pete Herschend are as well).  That is simply not the case.  HFE is very environmentally conscious and environmentally friendly.  There's no way Jack and Pete would allow all of those trees to be cut down for the parking lot project and not replace them.  No way.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2009, 11:04:49 AM »
I've never gotten the privilege of meeting the Herschends, but from all the articles and interviews I've read about them, they seem like wonderful people who would make sure to withhold the family legacy, including making sure that trees are replaced if they have to get cut.

Joy

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2009, 06:24:28 PM »
They wouldn't have to only use HFE property either.  They could just as easily have trees planted in parks, reforesting efforts, etc.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2009, 02:34:59 PM »
Speaking of the Herschend's wishes, does anyone know how much of the park's operation is still legally guided by regulations the Herschends put on future managers?

I mean, food and drink at the park is still so cheap, the majority of the parking is still free, and we still don't have a true "flashpass" style system. It's like somebody is forcing the park to actually cater to the guests rather than corporate profits. Even DW doesn't have free parking anymore, and they're food is more expensive too.

I hope this lasts! It's easy to look at the small details that are disappearing and be disappointed, but try going to any major park on the east or west coast and your mind will be absolutely blown open to the reality of how amazing our park is. Seriously, at any SF park you have to pay over $100 to get in and ride much of anything, and their crappy food will cost you over $20 extra, not to mention the forced locker policies, advertising, etc...
There's a lot to be thankful for.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2009, 07:50:49 PM »
Well, of course, Herschend doesn't have 100% of the final say in Dollywood like they do SDC, right? That might be a factor.

And speaking of lockers, just as a quick aside... They really should put little locker icons on the SDC map, to make it easier for people to locate where the lockers are....

Joy

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2009, 11:48:30 PM »
Well, of course, Herschend doesn't have 100% of the final say in Dollywood like they do SDC, right? That might be a factor.

After Dolly's display this year at the media event -- the Herschends have A LOT MORE SAY then they used to.  She was pretty much seen as a "liability" for some of the comments she made.  Pete was not happy to say the least.
SWOOSH

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2009, 03:53:37 AM »
Really? Any chance of more info, or is it something better left unsaid?

Joy

Firstvisit1967

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2009, 11:06:50 AM »
There is no doubt that SDC is so far ahead of 99% of all theme parks.  Change must happen to keep growth going.  It would be nice to see some take a little more time in building rides in the park.  A wooden roller coaster with a great theme might look a great deal better than the two steel, do not fit in, roller coaster they built. 
I understand why they had to build them, they just look so bad compared to the rest of the city.  They have just about ruined the train ride.  A tradition that familys have passed down from Great Grandfather to Great grandson.  I hope a little more Mary is used when build future parts of the park.

Riverman

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2009, 11:17:30 PM »
I feel this way about the Grand Exposition.  It just doesn't seem to be SDC to me...

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2009, 02:04:46 AM »
I feel this way about the Grand Exposition.  It just doesn't seem to be SDC to me...

GE is an odd one: it's period-appropriate, but has never really fit with the theme.