Author Topic: Other Old Time Attractions around Branson  (Read 20485 times)

Injun Joe

• McCoy
    • View Profile
Re: Other Old Time Attractions around Branson
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2014, 03:22:53 AM »
Uncle Joes was a real treat and will be remembered.  I felt right at home there and the food was great! I miss the ridge runner dune buggies that were at the big bend.  Driving one of those beasts down the hill through the trees before I even had a license was an absolute thrill.  I remember the employee stopping me and giving me a hard time for knocking over one of his precious orange cones.  "But sir, me and Johnny was just racin'!"  And I also dearly miss the fire lookout tower.  It was a great show of lights right along the strip at night.  I miss the old Track I too on the first curve off 65.  Boy, seein' that always made me so excited because I knew then that we had arrived to the good stuff and SDC was just ahead.  And of course,  Waltzing Waters and Hee Haw, which was so before its time.  And how 'bout the Rockaway Beach waterfront amusements?  Frankly, we could go on and on (hopefully we will), but time marches on and Branson keeps chuggin' along.  Can I get an amen?!

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2014, 08:09:58 AM »
Amen! Preach it brother

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2014, 04:04:08 PM »
Uncle Joes had the best ribs and beans ever. I miss the place. After it had been sold two or three times, each sucessive owner made worse and worse food. I ate there once with my wife in the late 90s, and the food was ho hum. I see for the last several years it has been a Mexican joint.
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

DeweyBald

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2014, 10:31:17 PM »
Who remembers when the only shows on the strip were the Presleys, the Baldknobbers and the Foggy River Boys?  While you were in the shows, they had people in the parking lot putting their bumper sticker on your car!  Heck, back then we would travel to Branson without any reservations to a motel!!!  Then came the trip where the entire town was booked and we couldn't find a room.  We ended up staying in a primitive cabin on Indian Point.  From that point on, mom always made sure we had reservations at the Pines Motel.

Junior- I remember the old Wax Museum as well.  Pretty bad by todays standards, but back then we thought it was cool!

SOTH was also very different back then.  Just the ticket office, a gift shop and Aunt Molly's Cupboard the best I can remember.    Old Matt's Cabin and the old barn were the only structures on the west side.  Up the hill from the cabin, under the pines, were the statues of The Shepherd and Little Pete along with Brave.  Riding down the hill to the Old Mill Theater always gave me an eerie feeling as a kid.  Don't know why, maybe just my imagination running wild about the baldknobbers along with the glow from the yellow lights hanging in the trees.  Ah...the good old days. :'(

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2014, 11:35:38 AM »
Who remembers when the only shows on the strip were the Presleys, the Baldknobbers and the Foggy River Boys?  While you were in the shows, they had people in the parking lot putting their bumper sticker on your car!  Heck, back then we would travel to Branson without any reservations to a motel!!!  Then came the trip where the entire town was booked and we couldn't find a room.  We ended up staying in a primitive cabin on Indian Point.  From that point on, mom always made sure we had reservations at the Pines Motel.

Junior- I remember the old Wax Museum as well.  Pretty bad by todays standards, but back then we thought it was cool!

SOTH was also very different back then.  Just the ticket office, a gift shop and Aunt Molly's Cupboard the best I can remember.    Old Matt's Cabin and the old barn were the only structures on the west side.  Up the hill from the cabin, under the pines, were the statues of The Shepherd and Little Pete along with Brave.  Riding down the hill to the Old Mill Theater always gave me an eerie feeling as a kid.  Don't know why, maybe just my imagination running wild about the baldknobbers along with the glow from the yellow lights hanging in the trees.  Ah...the good old days. :'(

Actually I remember it being The Baldknobbers, Presleys and The Plummer Family. I remember the name The Foggy River Boys, but cannot remember where they were. I also remember the year one of the Mabes got into a P***sing contest with the other brothers and opened his own theater.  Bob O links Was the name of the show I think. Where Clay Cooper is now.

Now, Does anyone remember the semi permanent Rodeo that was located where Whitewater is now?

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2014, 11:41:09 AM »
We always stayed in the tent area of Treasure Lake (area C?) and you could hear the guns from SotH after dark. Then when you woke up, you could hear the whistle from the train off in the distance.  ;D Happy memories of time spent with family

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2014, 06:00:10 PM »
The semi permanent rodeo was called The Heart of America Rodeo, and it was held in Mutton Hollow where Celebration City now is. I think It ran from about 1977 to about 1980. My stepfather, an executive by day, was parking lot manager there by night for part of the 1979 season, and my brother and I parked cars. Our pay was $20 per night, and free admission to the rodeo. Mutton Hollow was beautiful and unspoiled then, not so now.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2014, 06:29:09 PM »
The semi permanent rodeo was called The Heart of America Rodeo, and it was held in Mutton Hollow where Celebration City now is. I think It ran from about 1977 to about 1980. My stepfather, an executive by day, was parking lot manager there by night for part of the 1979 season, and my brother and I parked cars. Our pay was $20 per night, and free admission to the rodeo. Mutton Hollow was beautiful and unspoiled then, not so now.

I remember that one also Junior, but there was another at one time in the early 70's that was located in the general area of whitewater. I remember the stockade style fences as you rounded the curve.

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2014, 08:37:31 PM »
Could be, I did not arrive in Branson to live until 78. Interesting.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2014, 01:16:04 PM »
Up the hill from the cabin, under the pines, were the statues of The Shepherd and Little Pete along with Brave.  Riding down the hill to the Old Mill Theater always gave me an eerie feeling as a kid.  Don't know why, maybe just my imagination running wild about the baldknobbers along with the glow from the yellow lights hanging in the trees.  Ah...the good old days. :'(

I got married in front of those statues!   ;D

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2014, 08:10:53 PM »
Always loved the carnival and mini golf in front of the 76 Music Hall back in the 60-70's.
SDC has always made a great past to remember

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2014, 10:22:20 AM »
That carnival was called FUN SPOT. I always was puzzled as to the sucess of the place, because it was a carnival. I was attracted to the waterslides, museums and theme parks. But people from small towns who did not get to experience carnival much loved the place.

Injun Joe

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2014, 02:31:45 PM »
I thought it would be a harbinger of great success for Celebration City, but alas it was not to be.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2014, 07:57:03 AM »
That carnival was called FUN SPOT. I always was puzzled as to the sucess of the place,
The same man owns that 76 music hall complex that always has.  Talk about a Branson success story.  He changed and built and did what he had to keep up with the demands of the public.  I am pretty sure he was the first indoor water park in town.  He also secured some of the best entertainers that SDC used to employ for his shows that have proven to still pull a crowd.  Pretty smart cookie!

Hollwood

« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2014, 05:32:58 PM »
Fun spot was a common gathering place for us kids in the 90's. I have lots of fond memories of that place.