Author Topic: Ziplines galore!  (Read 7986 times)

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Ziplines galore!
« on: February 17, 2010, 05:17:25 PM »
Here is some news on all the new Zip Lines in town.   I want to ride the one at SOTH from the tower.

http://bransonvacationmag.com/Branson-Vacation-Magazine/March-April-2010/Ziplines-galore/
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

Fury Fire Chief

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • You've got a great past ahead of you...
    • View Profile
Re: Ziplines galore!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 11:27:10 PM »
Next thing you know SDC will have ziplines off the waterboggon old tower.  I dont like the idea but it does sound fun! lol

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 03:29:49 PM »
They couldn't afford monorails and the strip is always so clogged with traffic, so ziplines are the new green and affordable travel system to avoid all the headaches of 76 Country Boulevard.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

slow_walker

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
    • Rosey's Ramblings
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 02:56:55 PM »
They couldn't afford monorails and the strip is always so clogged with traffic, so ziplines are the new green and affordable travel system to avoid all the headaches of 76 Country Boulevard.

Lol.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 04:19:39 AM »
Here is some news on all the new Zip Lines in town.   I want to ride the one at SOTH from the tower.

I wouldn't have believed that one, except the SOTH website is touting it as a new attraction, opening Memorial Day weekend.

I only accidentally noticed it, because I didn't click the Flash "skip intro" button fast enough: http://www.oldmatt.com/

They claim it launches from 170' above ground, making it the world's tallest zip ride. Inspiration Tower is 230', so I wonder how that works.

I couldn't find any ticket or other info on the SOTH site, so all I know is what you see in the Flash intro.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 04:20:47 AM by KBCraig »

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 04:28:18 AM »
Urrr... I guess I should have googled before I posted.

I don't think it was mentioned here on the forum, but the SOTH zip line isn't exactly fresh news. It was reported early in 2010. The ride is open to riders between 75 and 275 pounds. Tickets are $29.95 for the first ride, and $20 for additional rides.

http://www.explorebranson.com/media/article.php?id=110
http://travelguide.reservebranson.com/2010/02/ziprider-attraction-sails-onto-branson.asp
http://bransonvacationmag.com/Branson-Vacation-Magazine/May-June-2010/Brand-Spanking-New/index.php?cparticle=4&siarticle=3
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/lifestyle/stories.nsf/travel/story/03AA8E148F07A07F862576E2006D6FA2?OpenDocument

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 08:11:08 AM »
So I'm curious...has anyone done the zipline at Shepherd of the Hills this year...and how is it?
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 09:15:38 PM »
I am too fat for all of them...  Oh Well.
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 11:03:22 PM »
I went and looked at it, and honestly for a 1/2 mile "seated ride" I would rather pay the $29 price and go up in the helicopter on the strip-It would last longer!

haytater

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 01:38:36 PM »
We went to Lambert's last weekend and our waiter said he and some co-workers were going to Branson to do the zip line. He said there were 3 different trails you could go on but the Vigilante is one zip down. Possibly he was misinformed and is in for a big disappointment. There aren't any other zip lines planned, are there?

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2010, 01:48:18 PM »
The big canopy tours are between Springfield and Branson on Highway 65.  You can see some of them from the road.  I think there are multiple tours at that location.  They are the traditional ziplines.

The line at SotH is a seated and full-service line.  It is not under the control of the rider - which means you shouldn't get stuck and have to drag yourself, reality-TV-style, to the end, and you won't have to have someone Tarzan over to rescue you.  It also automatically brakes for you.  There are some advantages to all that, but I still would like to have some control.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

haytater

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2010, 01:58:07 PM »
The SOTH zipline is too out in the open. I'd rather soar through the Ozarks.

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2010, 07:43:34 PM »
I'm kind of in the "meh" camp with ziplines.  They aren't new technology by any means, but I just feel that the lifespan for something like this is maybe about 10 years.
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2010, 03:11:38 AM »
Have any of you watched "Top Shot" on the History channel? I wouldn't mind trying one of those kinds of ziplines.  ;D

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2010, 03:56:29 PM »
I remember when bungee jumping was the big craze in Branson (and elsewhere).