Author Topic: Don't pull the yellow cord and other crazy acts  (Read 6860 times)

Firstvisit1967

• McCoy
    • View Profile
Re: Don't pull the yellow cord and other crazy acts
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2010, 11:20:56 PM »
My father taught me how to walk across the bridge to really get it bouncing.  I will not do it when others are on the bridge, but let my family get into the middle and it is on.  It is a good way to keep my wife from talking to me for a hour or so.  Ah to be at SDC with peace and quite.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2010, 08:30:17 PM »
After they rebuilt it, it doesn't bounce like it did in the old days. It's still got some motion, but in the '70s you could really get it going.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2010, 04:24:19 PM »
I do remember once in the early 80s the cable on the cave train broke. They used a four wheel drive vehicle, like a Broncho, to pull the cave train up. The SUV had to "gun it" and run right alongside the hospitality house up onto the corner of the main street area in view of guests on the town square area around the hospitality house restrooms and the old broom shop location. My jaw dropped at the sight, but I also thought it was funny.

Another odd story comes to mind. In the late 70s and early 80s there was a one mule swing in the Deepwoods area just as you entered Deepwoods Lane under the railroad overpass at the saloon. I worked that attraction many times in 80 and 81. I was the muledriver. Well, one day, the old mule they used to run the little carousel died...dropped as he stood next to the swing. They covered him with a big tarp because they didn't want to bring a front end loader into the park when guests were around. That poor old mule lay there for hours. Anyway, next day he was gone. Shortly after that, the mule swing was, too. I do recall one guest approaching me when I played the muledriver, and bitterly complained that it was inhumane to have a mule work the swing all day. But, I actually thought if that ole mule had a choice between being covered under a shady carousel awning and pulling a plow in a field, he'd have chosen the mule swing. I hated running that ole mule down in the little pasture behind the train house each morning. I also hated the old booger that ran the mule barn. Every chance he had he would belittle me about the way I'd harnessed the mule. I think he did it just to give a college kid a hard time. I enjoyed operating the mule swing itself, and interacting with the guests. I hated the mule and the old booger who ran the mule barn. Those are the two most unpleasant memories I have of the park. Really, the only unpleasant memories. God bless that old mules soul. I won't say anything more about the guy who ran the mulebarn.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2010, 05:59:47 PM »
Ahh the mule swing....For those of you who would like to envision the swing in all of its glory....This is like a television cross over with my "Wayback Machine" thread!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2010, 08:29:01 AM »
OK, Rube! You have pulled another postcard out of your fantastic collection that I never have seen before. The mule swing pictured is either the same one I worked at, or an earlier version. It seems the swing I worked on may have had more benches than the one pictured. The swing I worked on also almost always had a canvas top on it, so guests would be shaded. I cannot tell from the postcard where that mule/horse swing was set up on park. Do you know? Thanks for posting the photo...again, you knocked my socks off with something I never knew existed before!  :D
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2010, 09:55:15 AM »
Tip of the iceberg! I will check my maps tonight, I know I have it on one of the where this was located.