Author Topic: Dollywood Theming  (Read 6772 times)

dwfan

• McCoy
    • View Profile
Dollywood Theming
« on: July 17, 2010, 08:24:29 PM »
I am new to the site, and I am a Dollywood Fanatic. I have seen on here where some people complain about Dollywood's themeing so I am on here to Dollywood. Dollywood is not just themed to the Smoky Mountains, it is also themed to East Tennessee. Jukebox Junction was a part of East Tennessee in the Knoxville area where Dolly was on the Cas Walker show, so Jukebox Junction fits the themeing. The Village, Country Fair, Showstreet, are all East Tennessee they all fit into the themeing. Craftsman's Valley, Timber Canyon, Wilderness Pass and RIvertown Junction are Smoky Mountain themed which fits into the themeing. Dreamland Forest is the Forest/MOuntain themed family playground. The only area that does not fit in is Adventures in Imagination. HOwever, The Grand Exposition does not fit in at SDC. I will say Tennessee Tornado was rounded off better than Wildfire because of it's setting into the hillside swooping through the trees, and it's height requirement is only 48 inches tall. Blazing Fury's outdoor section is better than Fire-In-the-hole because of it looks like a huge rock and not just a building.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 01:44:09 PM by History Buff »

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Dollywood Themeing
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 08:50:03 PM »
Hello,
I just came back from Dollywood after my first ever visit.
My main park is SDC, I have been there 100 times at least.
These were my thoughts on DOllywood, Blazing Fury was a great ride but just by having the Fire in the Hole Song SDC it beats it hands down.  It does look great with the rockwork but that is the setting its in.  Fire in the Hole used to have alot of that same rockwork but they removed it in the past 10 years because it was falling in ( I noticed DOllywood is having the same problem.
Tennessee Tornado is a great ride but regardless of how it hugs the hills Wildfire is much - much smoother and it is also a people hog, you don't have much of a wait with 32 riders a shot.
The theming to Dollywood was great, I was surprised that the water in the ponds and fountains was as green as it is, you would think they would use a little chlorine but...
The 50's part is what I didn't get, there wasn't much there but the theme was drastically different.
Dollywood has alot more money behind it.  That's the way it is.
SDC however is the forerunner between the 2, it paved teh way for Dollywood. It came first so its age will definitely show next to Dollywoods.

I will state as a fact the parking situation at DOllywood is very poor, very poor at the water park as well. That was my only real b!tch about the place.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: Dollywood Themeing
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 01:43:41 PM »
With Opryland gone, DW can capitalize more on the music as a theme.  Music is, afterall, a staple of Tennessee, whether it be bluegrass, 50s rock, or new country.  This is an area that opens up DW to almost anything, and is what makes SDC a little more unique with its tighter theme (if they stick to it).

I've never been to DW, but we were going to go a couple of years ago.  We were going to buy DW season passes which got you into SDC free (but not vice versa); it's not that way anymore.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
Re: Dollywood Theming
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 03:01:30 PM »
I LOVE Dollywood.  I went there as a kid when it was SDC and then again recently (2007).  The mentality is like SDC and they seem to really take care of their property.

The one bone I have to pick and keep in mind, this is just personal preference, is the 1950's themeing.  I just would rather stick to the SDC type themeing throughout the park and not dip into a sock-hop.  This says a lot coming from a guy who decorates his entire house in mid century 1950's decor.   So I realize the absurdity of my last statement.

That said, I think my point here is that you really can't compare SDC and Dollywood as far as themeing.  Once it became Dollywood, it was given carte blanche to re-theme to fit more of Dolly's tastes and likings.  At this point, it's an apples/oranges thing.
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 03:49:46 PM »
My family spends a lot of time at both Dollywood and SDC and we love them both. They both have great qualities that get you in the mindset that nothing else matters while you are on park.  All your cares and worries seem to disappear for awhile.  That's what is important for me...some true relaxation and enjoyment. We used to get the Dollywood Gold Pass that also got you in free to SDC and Whitewater.  That was a great value.  I wish HFE would come up with some kind of super pass that gets you in to all their parks.  We would still go to SDC and Dollywood but would go to Whitewater more often and would probably stop at Wild Adventures on our way to Florida. I can't fault Dollywood's theming.  I think they do a great job with the park. On a side note, I think I read where this is the last year for Babes in Toyland during Christmas at Dollywood. Could Babes and Dickens' Christmas Carol be switching parks in 2011 or might Dollywood just be coming up with something different?

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 05:05:47 PM »
If Dickens leaves SDC, there will be words...

We visited Dollywood three years ago.  I liked how Dollywood represented the different things Tennessee has to offer.  One of the highlights of the trip was the show they had that followed a group of teenagers from high school and beyond.  The music began with the fifties and continued on from there.  We also liked the show about the eagles and other birds of prey.  These two shows were so unique that I think that's one reason we liked them.  I think I teared up in both--lol

We hope to go back to Dollywood in a few years.  We had a great trip.  I agree with the parks being apples and oranges.  We enjoy the parks for different reasons.

On the parking issue, we liked the parking situation better at Dollywood, but we used the trolley system instead of paying to park at Dollywood.  We parked our car at Patriot Park and used the trolley to major attractions--Dollywood, Splash Country, and Ripley's Aquarium.  You're just minutes from the Pigeon Forge parks from Patriot Park, and the trolley picked up and dropped off right in front of the gate.  It's a good deal for 50 cents one way.

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 07:14:54 PM »
The trolley system is nice in Pigeon Forge.  Parking aside, I will say the tram service is much, much better at Dollywood.  We were there at Thanksgiving last year (huge crowds on park) and they had tram after tram lined up waiting to get people back to their cars. Even though the line was long, you kept moving and the wait for a ride was hardly noticable. It was the same thing when we arrived at DW for park opening, there were trams all over the place getting people in the park.  With their loop complete back by Adventure Mountain, they can sure spread a lot of people out around the park.  I think it would be great if Dollywood could get a Dickens' Christmas Carol production of their own.  In my opinion, that would definitely make Dollywood's selection of Christmas shows better than SDC's.  Although, after seeing all Dollywood's holiday shows last year I already believe that to be the case. 

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 08:08:42 PM »
Not 100%, but I thought this was Christmas Carols last season at SDC. I thought I heard they were writing a musical of "It's a Wonderful Life."

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 11:46:06 PM »
Maybe those of you who have seen Babes in Toyland can convince me that it's good.  But from what I've seen on You Tube--no thanks!  It looks like it has that "stupid" humor that I can't stand.  I don't know how else to describe it.  I like SDC's saloon show and various other shows, so it's not that I don't like the humor in the parks.  It reminds me of some of the "hilarious" comedy you can find on the strip that is just not funny.  But, since I have not seen it, perhaps I am too quick to judge.

I'll admit the other Christmas shows in SDC leave much to be desired.  We watched a guy two years ago with a guitar last year in the Riverside theatre who was not good.  Some people were walking out, but I didn't want to do that.  I also find the nativity show in Red Gold a little odd with that man just popping out at random to sing a little ditty.  We did see a pretty good show the first year we went with Tracy Heaston and Red Knickers(?), and the show where the nativity happened all around you was ok, but I digress.

I would be interested to see some other shows, especially if Dollywood has some other show ideas that are better.  I just don't think Dickens needs to be replaced with Babes.  Now, It's a Wonderful Life is an interesting idea, but it's even more off-theme than Dickens...

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 11:29:31 AM »
If they are following the East Tennessee theme maybe they could put in an area with a hugh nuclar reactor and call it "Dolly Even Bigger"
SDC has always made a great past to remember

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 08:17:03 PM »
Let me start by saying I don't think Babes in Toyland is that great of a show.  It is certainly not up to the level of Dickens' Christmas Carol. I definitely do not want to see it come to SDC.  The point I was trying to make in my earlier post is that it is my feeling that from "top to bottom" the Christmas shows are better at DW than SDC.  As far as transplanting them to SDC, I don't think that is plausible as several of the shows at DW are themed to the Smoky Mountains or a certain area of the park.  Side note--I am a big fan of southern gospel music. The Kingdom Heirs at Dollywood are one of my favorite groups and I feel one of the best going.  I sure wish SDC would bring back a southern gospel quartet as a fixture on park.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 03:15:29 PM »
Is anyone else on the DW e-mail list? I got an e-mail advertising not only Dollywood's version of Moonlight Madness, but a 5-day stint of STAR TREK LIVE at DW's Adventure Theatre.... Since we're talking about DW's theming here, I thought I'd ask what ya'll think about a show like that being at DW.

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 04:45:08 PM »
I just saw that on their FaceBook page.  If SDC ever did that I'd have to give them a big ol'  :-\ face.  Nothing against Star Trek.   But really?   I think it goes with their summer science series and since this is a thread comparing themes, I'll venture to guess it would work at DW because there is sometimes an "anything goes" mentality...no offense...as long as it's done tastefully. 

I still have reservations about going to SDC this summer and running into Scooby Doo or Dora the Explorer.  Call me grumpy, but are kids at the point where they have to stick stuff like that in just to get their attention?  Sigh...

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 04:49:28 PM »
You're grumpy. :P

Star Trek???  You have got to be kidding, HFE; have you thrown all creativity out the window?
And no, the kids would come without seeing a girl in a Sponge Bob suit.  Puh-lease.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 05:08:10 PM by History Buff »
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2010, 05:35:19 PM »
Whew!  Thought I was losing it for a moment....or at Six Flags.  Couldn't quite remember which.