Author Topic: We Always Lie to Strangers, Branson documentary  (Read 8131 times)

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
We Always Lie to Strangers, Branson documentary
« on: September 06, 2014, 09:21:48 AM »
The Branson documentary, We Always Lie to Strangers, is now available on Netflix. The Presley family and the Lennon Family are featured.  More details in this article from Branson Tri-Lakes News.

http://bransontrilakesnews.com/news_free/article_0452e4d6-3532-11e4-864e-0019bb2963f4.html

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
Re: We Always Lie to Strangers, Branson documentary
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 08:49:11 PM »
I watched it completely this evening. It was filmed over several seasons, and it looks like most, if not all of it was filmed before the tornado. It shows Branson in both a positive and negative light. Mayor Presley is interviewed the most and seems like a genuine person. Its mainly about the shows and how attendance has gone down over the years. Saw many familiar places and faces. There were a few highlights of SDC, but it was never actually mentioned; showed the square at Christmas, hill street, and the American Plunge.
I recommend watching it, it was interesting.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 09:57:48 AM »
Where'd you find the documentary ?

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 04:21:40 PM »
Where'd you find the documentary ?

We have Roku / Netflix.

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 03:34:50 PM »
I started watching it yesterday. I'm about half way through it and it seems ok.

W.P. Warburton

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • "It's a Rockslide....Look Out Below!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 07:27:32 PM »
I watched the doc Saturday, enjoyed it very much. The Presley family and the Lennon family was very interesting. I did not enjoy the lady the Tomico's had in their show who constantly dropped the F-bomb and various other profanity, very unprofessional. All in all a decent program.

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 11:02:31 PM »
I just watched this movie tonight.  The documentary is listed as NR (not rated) but if it were rated it would be Rated R.  Definitely not a movie you want to watch with your kids. As mentioned above one person in the film drops several F-bombs and other assorted profanities throughout the movie.  I also don't know why the producers felt it necessary to show her in her underwear changing costumes a couple different times.  This movie definitely takes some of the "shine" off Branson, and shows a side of Branson I didn't know existed, but probably should have realized.  For instance, I didn't know that Branson had a large "gay" population.  Even the gay actors featured in the movie commented on how ironic it was to have a large gay community in the heart of the Bible Belt.

For most of us, Branson is synonymous with God and Country.  I think the film did a good job at showing that for the founding fathers of Branson, represented in the film by Lloyd Presley, the God-and-Country theme is an authentic representation of who they are and how they feel. But for some of the younger performers, the God-and-Country theme is a facade. It's just a way to earn a paycheck. It's what they have to do to be a performer. And that's just kind of sad.  I used to dream about living in Branson some day.  After seeing this documentary, I'm not so sure.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 08:34:57 AM »
I watched the show the other night and honestly found that it really drug out the "story" for a little longer that was needed.  The girl in the show that used bad language was not something I expected but as the title of the show is " We always lie to strangers" I guess it reinforces that what you see is not always what you perceive it to be.  There is a new generation in Branson and yep folks there are lots of gay people in Branson and at the city as well.  You must expect that in a performing and  artistic atmosphere that you will certainly have gay people there.  Broadway/Gays.....is that a shock?   I didn't find they showed Chip to be a bad guy.  I know Chip and he is a very nice guy, what you see is what you get with him.  He IS what you saw in that movie.   He loves and lives for his kids and gets along with his ex wife and that's a lot more than I can say for many straight divorced couples.  He is doing the right thing for his kids and I am proud of him for that.   Remember that just because a person lives a different lifestyle doesn't mean they don't believe in God and Country.   At risk of sounding xenophobic I have a much harder time seeing a woman walking in the Tanger Mall in full burka than I do with worrying about who that guy on stage is sleeping with.   
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 03:08:47 PM by mhguy77 »

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 09:02:20 AM »
Couldn't agree with you more mhguy77, very well stated.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 12:28:12 PM »
I agree with you too MHguy. I could care less about someones lifestyle. They are still a person and if I am totally honest most gay people I have been in contact with are more compassionate and less condemning of others than most christian people I know. As for me the whole God and Country thing is overblown and I tire of it quickly when in Branson. How many times am I required to stand and salute the troops during a weekend? Part of the reason we quit going to any shows.   

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 09:29:55 PM »
Large gay pop in Branson you say, Eureka giggles with laughter.

It was watchable, thought the title was a bit misleading. The lib Lennon guy, my gun toting tail could drink a beer with. Doesn't really come to a definitive end, you wonder when the next episode airs. Why did they introduce the homeless element without showing how that effects the town on a business level.

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 11:29:40 PM »
As for me the whole God and Country thing is overblown and I tire of it quickly when in Branson. How many times am I required to stand and salute the troops during a weekend? Part of the reason we quit going to any shows.   

The Vets worked really hard to keep our country free, I think they deserve more praise than what they get from the performers. I was at SIX last year and overheard one of the performers thank an older gentleman for his service (he was wearing a cap like you see most veterans in). The gentleman started tearing up while thanking them for recognizing the Vets because obviously he sacrificed a lot. Just because you don't like hearing it, that doesn't mean it didn't make somebody else's day. You shouldn't stop going to shows because you're tired of saluting some of the greatest/bravest people. Take that as an opportunity for a bathroom break if you don't want to hear it.
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

Sdcnut

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2015, 01:50:11 PM »
I bet those vets tired of getting shot at, eating mre's, not seeing their kids, not showering,not having toilets, enjoying their wives, watching their friends die, etc.   but that complety sucks clapping for them for a minute.