Author Topic: Sam's Mining Shack  (Read 15346 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Sam's Mining Shack
« on: August 16, 2007, 12:09:11 AM »
Does anyone know more about this attraction?

All I know is that it opened with the park in 1960 as some type of fun house. It was upgraded into what is now Grandfather's Mansion. Other than the tilted room which lives on in the mansion, I don't have a clue as to what the Shack held.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Sam's Mining Shack
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 02:55:31 AM »
The tilted room seems to have been the main part of Slantin' Sam's. I've never seen anything other than tilted stuff in the postcards and brochures from back then. I do know that, judging from one of the brochure things, it seems that at one point, people were taken through Slantin' Sam's in groups by a guide.

I know that they had a REAL faucet in there so they could show water running "uphill", and had brooms and what-not for showing off the gravity tricks.

That's all I've been able to glean from pics/etc.

~ "Becky" Joy ~

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 10:27:36 AM »
I've heard of this before but I don't really know anything about it. Did it used to be where Grandfather's Mansion sits now?
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 10:40:47 AM »
Yup, and I believe the entrance began where the top of the stairs to the tilted room are in the mansion. I THINK. It's difficult to get too much info on the old layout from the handful of pics available of Slantin' Sam's. I'm thinking of asking Conductor Sam if he could highlight Slantin' Sam's on the blog the way he did Rube Dugan's Diving Bell; I'm sure there's gotta be some pics in SDC's archives that we haven't seen (like there were for the Diving Bell).

Joy

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 02:44:02 AM »
I know the exit was a slide. Jack Herschend was the first to slide down the newly polished slide and flew for good distance. The Springfield Library has pictures of it in a book that you can’t check out. I will go sometime and see if I can scan them.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 03:44:50 PM »
^Ah, one more thing that can never be again, so long as the insurance companies retain their control over the park, and the nation's fun in general.

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 04:29:46 PM »
I believe the slide was the exit to Herman the Hermit's (yes it was taken from the group in the 60's) Tree Top House. It was replaced by the Infinity Room when the theme was changed to H.H. tree top still. That was supposed to be the effect from the stills fumes.It was abandoned after a structural collapse onto the train tracks one night while the park was closed. The theme then changed to the tree top root beer factory compleat with a SDC childrens book about a young Zeak Hatfield catching a goast with taffy as bait in A cage at the base of the tree. It turned out to be a racoon. All of this was then removed and changed to huck finns hideaway.
"Loved on Four Contenents!"

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 05:58:45 PM »
I've got that children's book, thanks to Ebay (and it's apparently the only mis-binding in existence, as far as I've been able to find). I've also got the "Day the Toys Came to SDC" book; still looking to get "The Littlest Mule".

I never got to see the Infinity Room; from everyone's descriptions, I would LOVE to have seen it.

~ "Becky" Joy ~

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 06:24:31 PM »
What, are we talking about the tree house or what is now the mansion?

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 10:27:54 AM »
thats the tree house. Incedentaly, I remember going down that slide as a young child. It had drops that were hard on the backside an I was not amused! ;D There was a stair bypass for moms and dads by the way Here is a video of it (at 17:17)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usVlfVQeDp4&feature=related
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 12:38:17 PM by Old Guy »

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 03:18:25 PM »
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bizarrerecords/344483389/
Here is a poastcard from Sam's mid 60's
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 03:19:47 PM by Old Guy »

sdcforever

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 04:40:48 PM »
^That's great Old Guy!  Now I can finally say I've seen a picture of Slantin' Sam's!  :)

firstyear1967

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 09:56:26 PM »
I do not remember the brooom but I remember the water running up hill.  I know that on my first visit Grandfathers was there.  I remember the slide.  It was rough and I did not like it.  Didn't they add a room with a bunch of little lights at one time?  That was really a weird room.  It was very dark and it seem like it went on forever.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2010, 08:44:00 AM »
Slantin' Sam's was billed as a place where "water runs uphill and everything operates in amusing defiance of gravity."

"It is easier to scale a wall than to remain flat-footed on the floor."

One of the iconic poses in the Mining Shack was to "lean on air".
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 08:44:49 AM by rubedugans »

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2010, 11:08:19 AM »
I've never seen most of these shots of slantin' sams. Thanks for posting. I wish I could tell where in the present "mansion" these shots were taken. I do remember that a maintenance guy I worked with told me he helped to upgrade the shack to the mansion. He said Mary Herschend oversaw the work, and that he was one of the people who cut down a tree and lost his job because of it. He came back to work a day or two later, and she let him get back to the construction, warning him not to cut down any tree she didn't give permission to cut! All I know is that basement room in the mansion is what is left of the shack.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"